[COMPLETE] Milton's Minor Poems - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

Minor Poems by John Milton (1608 - 1674).

This project is now complete! All files can be downloaded from the catalog page here:
https://librivox.org/miltons-minor-poems-by-john-milton/

I can write an introduction later. Here I will just identify the texts: I wish to read "MISCELLANEOUS POEMS" up to but not including "COLLECTION OF PASSAGES TRANSLATED IN THE PROSE WRITINGS." There being so many individual poems that creating divisions that will make sense and also fit on the small page of the CD cover will be a challenge. I'm willing to work on this with someone at your end. ( T. A. Copeland)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/files/1745/1745-h/1745-h.htm#link2H_4_0019
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): wordperfect

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Milton's Minor Poems. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Milton's Minor Poems, by John Milton. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Milton's Minor Poems by John Milton. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Milton's Minor Poems, by John Milton. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename minorpoems_##_milton_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. minorpoems_01_milton_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Availle
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Hi Tom, I'm happy to help you with this one!

After a quick look at the text: you only want to read what is called there "MISCELLANEOUS POEMS", right? That's perfectly fine. You could then call the project "miscellaneous poems by John Milton" or "A selection of poems by John Milton", or indeed "Milton's Minor Poems" (although, given the length of some of these, I'm not sure "minor" is entirely appropriate :wink:)

Once we've settled on a title, I can set this up for you.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

Thanks for agreeing to oversee this project.

As you say, some of these poems are rather long, especially the masque, and of course "Lycidas" is a very important poem, but compared to the epics and the imitation of Greek tragedy they are all decidedly minor, so "Milton's Minor Poems" will do nicely.

One oddity about the Gutenberg page is that the only poem to which the link "MISCELLANEOUS POEMS" provides the sole link is the first, "On the Morning of Christ's Nativity," which really ought to appear, like all the others in the list, below "MISCELLANEOUS POEMS—or else all of the poems should, like the first, be hidden until one clicks on that first link. I do not wish to engage in a conversation about this matter with Gutenberg, though. I just thought you should know.

Tom
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Okay Tom, I've set this up for you. You didn't say how many sections you needed, so I've given you 30 to start with. Adding/removing sections is very easy, just let me know when/if it is necessary.

Don't worry about the links inside the text. We'll have to link to the main book on gutenberg anyway so that readers can choose their preferred format.

I'd say you're ready to go! But let's wait a few days to see if we can tie down a DPL for this too. Good luck and have fun! :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

Great. I've begun reading. The number of sections will be determined both by the length of the readings and also the amount of space in the CD cover for identifying the poems. This will require some patient juggling, but I will do my best to arrange it all before the first section is complete.

Tom
libraryanne

Post by libraryanne »

I've been waiting to see if someone else wanted to be DPL for this...and I've waited long enough. :lol:
So I volunteer to be your DPL

Cheers,
Betty
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

Glad to see you again, Betty. I'm getting my bearings, particularly with microphones. I want the best quality of recording that I can get, and I have not been satisfied with the built-in system. Give me a day or two.

Tom
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Betty added as DPL, moved to "Going Solo".

Have fun! :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

Major roadblock encountered: The last four stanzas of “On the Morning of Christ’s Nativity,” the first poem in this collection, have been omitted. I have reported the problem to Gutenberg. In the mean time I continue reading.

Tom
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

How about this edition from archive: https://archive.org/details/miltonminorpoem00thurgoog

It's from 1901 and also okay to read from.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

Great! I'll check it out. I've also been thinking how the CD should be set up. There are so many poems, some quite short, that a person unfamiliar with them would have a very difficult time locating a particular one unless they occupy separate tracks on the disk. I wonder if saving the poems as separate files will permit this sort of division. If so, it will still be vital to mark which tracks go together on a single CD. There will be multiple CDs of course.

Tom
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

Well, although this other text includes the missing stanzas, it omits eight of the poems I have already read in the early part of the other book. Do you think it would be okay for me to read only the first poem from this text? Or we could simply wait for David Widger to make the correction, assuming that the original text is not itself incomplete. My guess is that the error was a matter of scanning only. Widger has always been prompt in addressing these matters, so I would like to wait to see what he says.

Tom
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

It's up to you how to set up the project.

As for the text, it would be advisable to read from a single edition so that later, when people want to read along with the text, are not confused. In this case, I can see that the last stanza of that first poem on gutenberg already has a mistake in it, so...

Maybe wait what gutenberg comes up with and read the other poems in the meanwhile. It's not that you don't have anything else to do. :mrgreen:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

Good news! David Widger has corrected the text, and I have about 50 minutes read. I think I will upload this portion for Betty to listen to. However, I am still worrying about how those who download this project to a CD will be using it. I realize that 99% of the listeners listen in the car or while walking, but there is always going to be that one user who wants to find a particular poem to listen to—for a school assignment, for example—and will not know where it is on the disk. What I would like would be to arrange for a 50-minute chunk of the text to download with the introductory and concluding attributions to play when the disk starts and when it ends, but with separate bands on the disk that would appear on the computer as divisions between poems. Perhaps these cannot be identifiable by name, but they would be countable. Is this possible with current technology?

Tom
chymocles

Post by chymocles »