(Complete) Coffee Break Collection 23 -- Mysteries, Riddles and Conundrums - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

HeartsandStars wrote: October 6th, 2019, 11:58 am
Lynnet wrote: October 4th, 2019, 6:46 am PL notes:

Jack the Ripper -- there is a lot of background noise. It would benefit from noise cleaning.

Dorothy Arnold -- PL OK

Cleopatra -- PL OK

Hi Lynne, here's Jack again. Still 7:01

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/cb023_jack_ak_128kb.mp3

I got a new computer and downloaded the latest version of Checker and it's not displaying the background noise level, so when i originally uploaded I didn't know it was too high. But on my older computer it does show it, so I did the noise cleaning on that. Would you happen to know why Checker isn't showing the background noise level on the new computer?

Thank you,
Andrea
Thank you.
No, sorry,I wouldn’t know. The other sections were fine.
msfry

Post by msfry »

HeartsandStars wrote: October 6th, 2019, 11:58 am Would you happen to know why Checker isn't showing the background noise level on the new computer?

Thank you,
Andrea
Hi Andrea, perhaps you could try reinstalling Checker. Sometimes the install isn't "clean". I don't think they would put out a version that didn't measure background noise. And be sure to use the download sight recommended in our Wiki, because those settings are set for the LV specs. Hope this helps.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: October 6th, 2019, 5:37 pm
HeartsandStars wrote: October 6th, 2019, 11:58 am Would you happen to know why Checker isn't showing the background noise level on the new computer?

Thank you,
Andrea
Hi Andrea, perhaps you could try reinstalling Checker. Sometimes the install isn't "clean". I don't think they would put out a version that didn't measure background noise. And be sure to use the download sight recommended in our Wiki, because those settings are set for the LV specs. Hope this helps.
I'm rather new to LV -- 4 years ago I joined.
But, I have never seen a mention of Background Noise Level in Checker.
Is there some mystery I don't know about?
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

williamjones wrote: October 6th, 2019, 5:44 pm
I'm rather new to LV -- 4 years ago I joined.
But, I have never seen a mention of Background Noise Level in Checker.
Is there some mystery I don't know about?
Checker does give a value for noise (I think it’s the bottom value)... however, we don’t rely on it. There is no fixed value we look for, although in my own recordings I look for about 25-30. Andrea’s was 50, which I would consider high. The main test, though, is what you hear when listening.
HeartsandStars

Post by HeartsandStars »

msfry wrote: October 6th, 2019, 5:37 pm

Thank you,
Andrea
Thank you for the suggestion, Michele. I tried re-downloading it and it still isn't showing the background noise level. Now this is a mystery, riddle, and conundrum! :lol: Maybe there's a setting or something on my computer that isn't right. :hmm: But it's no biggie. I'll just pop future files onto a flash drive and check them on my old computer, and proceed from there.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Here's what the Checker screen looks like. Notice two tabs, Validation and Information. Be sure Information is selected. I can't think of anything else that might solve this Riddle. :lol:

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/Checker_Screen.zip
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: October 7th, 2019, 5:26 pm Here's what the Checker screen looks like. Notice two tabs, Validation and Information. Be sure Information is selected. I can't think of anything else that might solve this Riddle. :lol:

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/Checker_Screen.zip
Thank you for the screen shot.
My version of Checker is Checker, version 0.96
There is nothing in the results window below Clipped Audio.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

williamjones wrote: October 7th, 2019, 7:09 pm
Same version I use. You tried the slider bar to the right? I have never had any version of Checker that did not display Background Noise right below Clipped Audio. Maybe expand the window by pulling down the bottom?
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: October 7th, 2019, 9:03 pm
Same version I use. You tried the slider bar to the right? I have never had any version of Checker that did not display Background Noise right below Clipped Audio. Maybe expand the window by pulling down the bottom?
I saw that slider at the righthand edge of the screen shot you sent, and tried running a few mp3 files thru Checker to see it that slider appeared - it didn't. A Mystery and Conundrum.
Perhaps the version of Windows makes a difference or maybe it shows up only Apple machines??
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
HeartsandStars

Post by HeartsandStars »

williamjones wrote: October 7th, 2019, 9:08 pm
msfry wrote: October 7th, 2019, 9:03 pm
I saw that slider at the righthand edge of the screen shot you sent, and tried running a few mp3 files thru Checker to see it that slider appeared - it didn't. A Mystery and Conundrum.
Perhaps the version of Windows makes a difference or maybe it shows up only Apple machines??
This sounds like mine. Under the Information tab it shows File Size, Encoding Type, MP3 Format, Track Length, Volume, DC Bias, and Clipped Audio. Below that where Background Noise should be there's a light blue line and then just a blank white box area. I tried pulling the window down and nothing there. I also tried both Gentle and Strict under the Validation menu. My old computer that background noise shows up on is an HP, as is my new one on it which it doesn't. Both have Windows 10.

Well this is definitely a mystery. Too bad it isn't in the public domain so I could record it and submit it to the project--"The Disappearance of Background Noise Level." :lol:
msfry

Post by msfry »

Here's the latest link to the Checker download for LV. Try it.
https://cgjennings.ca/checker.html

I use Windows 10, and before that Windows 7 and before that XP, on both Satellite and HP laptops, and all showed the Background Noise feature. This IS a mystery.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Partial Solution to right-hand slider on bottom portion of Checker window.

That right-hand slider in Checker WILL appear if the height of the Checker window is made too small to show all the lines.

For example, when the Checker window is displaying the results of a Checker run, if one grabs the bottom edge of the window and drags it upward, making it smaller, the slider appears!!! Drag the bottom edge down and the slider disappears again.

This explains why some see the slider and others don't. Just as Michele said!!!

However the Background Noise still doesn't appear in any case. And, that's the main problem.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
HeartsandStars

Post by HeartsandStars »

msfry wrote: October 9th, 2019, 7:57 am Here's the latest link to the Checker download for LV. Try it.
https://cgjennings.ca/checker.html

I use Windows 10, and before that Windows 7 and before that XP, on both Satellite and HP laptops, and all showed the Background Noise feature. This IS a mystery.
Just tried it and no dice. So I don't know what's up. Weird. :?
Thanks for your help! :)
Anitazz

Post by Anitazz »

I've uploaded an interesting little poem about universal mysteries:

The Conclave of the Universe by Stanton A. Coblentz (1896-1982)
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/cb023_conclaveofuniverse_asm_128kb.mp3 (2:41)
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc1.$b798898&view=1up&seq=23

Anita
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Anitazz wrote: October 12th, 2019, 7:40 am I've uploaded an interesting little poem about universal mysteries:

The Conclave of the Universe by Stanton A. Coblentz (1896-1982)
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/cb023_conclaveofuniverse_asm_128kb.mp3 (2:41)
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc1.$b798898&view=1up&seq=23

Anita
Thank you