[COMPLETE]The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes DR -ke

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
johnnyenglish

Post by johnnyenglish »

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle (1859 - 1930).

This project is now in the catalog! Please download and listen from here: https://librivox.org/the-adventures-of-sherlock-holmes-version-6-dramatic-reading-by-sir-arthur-conan-doyle/
A collection of short Sherlock Holmes stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. ( )
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/files/1661/1661-h/1661-h.htm
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

============================================

Genres for the project: Dramatic Readings; Action & Adventure Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: Holmes, watson, detetive

============================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Submit one file per act.
    7. Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      [Role], read by [your name].

If you are reading narration, please include for each file:At the beginning: Chapter [#] of The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.

At the end: End of Chapter[#].

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      sherlockholmes_[role]_##_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. sherlockholmes_narrator_01_128kb.mp3)

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
      Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: kathrinee
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
I have absolutely nothing in this world but time - so I believe I should invest it wisely...
johnnyenglish

Post by johnnyenglish »

Please note, this is the first time I've attempted one of these, so please bear with me,
and point out any mistakes.

This is being done in collaboration with elizabby, and she will be DPL on the project.
(Beth has also done most of the already, by breaking down the scripts in Google Docs,
so I shall also post that link a bit later.)

I will edit this as required, but I do have one immediate question - do I have to be MC use the Magic Window?
(I've only been a BC on a solo read before - so I'm not entirely sure how the MW works.)

Andrew
I have absolutely nothing in this world but time - so I believe I should invest it wisely...
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

I'd be happy to read Holmes.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
johnnyenglish

Post by johnnyenglish »

You got it, Mate! :D

Oh, and I forgot to mention, Folks - I will be reading Dr. Watson.
Foon

Post by Foon »

If you're open for claims already, may I read Irene Adler? :D :D
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian
thestorygirl

Post by thestorygirl »

My favorite is the Copper Beeches. Can I play Violet Hunter? :D
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Let's wait to claim until there's an MC and a Magic Window. This is JE's first DR; let's make it easier for him.

JE - you'll need to give a number of sections for the MW. It doesn't have to be exact, but we need a number.

(I am not MC'ing this; my MC plate is too full right now. I'm just preempting the tidal flood of claims.) ;)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Checking in as DPL.

We need 110 MW sections.
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

I can MC this one - be back in a little bit with a MW
Kathrine
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Here we go! :thumbs: I cleaned up the first post a bit (intros and file names), I think it is ready for the DR magic to happen :D
Kathrine
johnnyenglish

Post by johnnyenglish »

Wow!

Totally sweet!

Deeply appreciated, Hun!
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

I’ve put on the first two stories just to set the template, I’ll let Andrew do the rest.

Andrew, I suggest putting a comment at the top that casting will be gender neutral except where marked in the MW. Otherwise we will never fill all the little male roles.
johnnyenglish

Post by johnnyenglish »

Yup, totally with you on that, Beth,

This is generating far more interest than I expected! (Sweet!)

I'm not entirely sure how to edit the original post - but I'm sure I can work it out!

Many thanks! (I really appreciate the help! :D )
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Well, an ambitious undertaking, to say the least.
But, Sherlock has such a wide an enduring audience, that I'm sure it will be a great success.

My I start with:

Story 1: Bystander
Story 2: Mr. Jabez Wilson
~ Larry
johnnyenglish

Post by johnnyenglish »

Thank you for volunteering, Silverquill!

It may be a couple of days before I can get to it - but your space is reserved! :D