COMPLETE A Century of Negro Migration by Carter Woodson-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry »

7 was so interesting (coming soon), may I have Chapter 4. Mr. Woodson writes very well.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

msfry wrote: September 14th, 2019, 9:06 am 7 was so interesting (coming soon), may I have Chapter 4. Mr. Woodson writes very well.
Of course! Thank you!
msfry

Post by msfry »

Here is Section 7

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/negromigration_07_woodson_128kb.mp3 32:22

Migration is as fascinating a topic as immigration. What does a city, state or region do when it sees 30,000 people, all American citizens, rushing in? Are there laws about this? Regulations? Barriers to invasion? Sedatives strong enough to keep the mayor and police force calm? I realize I am completely ignorant on this subject . . . . . and I have never heard the news speak of it.

Great choice of a project. I want to know more.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

M., your neck of the woods saw this to some degree during the Second World War when there was such a needed boom in naval construction and shipping.

There are other examples. The influx of Puertoricans (sp?) to New York and the flight of Cubans, though technically foreigners at the time, to Miami. And what impact have natural disasters had on surrounding areas?
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

msfry wrote: September 14th, 2019, 11:39 am Here is Section 7

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/negromigration_07_woodson_128kb.mp3 32:22

Migration is as fascinating a topic as immigration. What does a city, state or region do when it sees 30,000 people, all American citizens, rushing in? Are there laws about this? Regulations? Barriers to invasion? Sedatives strong enough to keep the mayor and police force calm? I realize I am completely ignorant on this subject . . . . . and I have never heard the news speak of it.

Thank you!
msfry

Post by msfry »

KevinS wrote: September 14th, 2019, 11:56 am M., your neck of the woods saw this to some degree during the Second World War when there was such a needed boom in naval construction and shipping.

There are other examples. The influx of Puertoricans (sp?) to New York and the flight of Cubans, though technically foreigners at the time, to Miami. And what impact have natural disasters had on surrounding areas?
Yes, and there are government reports on all of these. One I participated in personally was the influx of over 100,000 refugees from New Orleans to Baton Rouge immediately during/after Hurricane Katrina. This last is included in a project I participated in right here on LV,
https://librivox.org/a-failure-of-initiative-by-united-states-house-of-representatives/

You can find this and other reports using LV search terms: United States Government Reports
I'm going to look for something to add to this list, about the 1980 "Cuban Boat People", over 120,000 refugees flooding into Miami, which I was also involved in as a sponsor.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I'm interested in exploring the remarkable prejudice experienced by Asians who sought a new life in America in the second half of the 19th Century. For whatever reason, they were viewed as a real threat to the West Coast, in particular. I suppose because they were so little understood and that their accepting such low wages 'suppressed' the opportunities of others. (That same old tune...)
laurencetrask

Post by laurencetrask »

May I please read Chapter/section 5?

Laurence
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

laurencetrask wrote: September 14th, 2019, 5:25 pm May I please read Chapter/section 5?

Laurence
Yes, of course. Thank you!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I will PL what remains.

This thread can be moved to Reader's Found. (Exciting for me!)
msfry

Post by msfry »

KevinS wrote: September 14th, 2019, 5:43 pm I will PL what remains.

And you can put [FULL] where it says [HISTORY] in the Subject Line (white box at the top) to let readers know there's nothing left to claim, even before it makes it to Readers Found. And if someone cancels, you can remove the sign.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

msfry wrote: September 14th, 2019, 6:17 pm
KevinS wrote: September 14th, 2019, 5:43 pm I will PL what remains.

And you can put [FULL] where it says [HISTORY] in the Subject Line (white box at the top) to let readers know there's nothing left to claim, even before it makes it to Readers Found. And if someone cancels, you can remove the sign.
Will do. I thought about doing [FULL][HISTORY]. Hhaha! I really did.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

msfry wrote: September 14th, 2019, 11:39 am Here is Section 7

PL OK!

Really a fine reading ... and some shocking detail told in that chapter.
msfry

Post by msfry »

KevinS wrote: September 14th, 2019, 4:09 pm I'm interested in exploring the remarkable prejudice experienced by Asians who sought a new life in America in the second half of the 19th Century. For whatever reason, they were viewed as a real threat to the West Coast, in particular. I suppose because they were so little understood and that their accepting such low wages 'suppressed' the opportunities of others. (That same old tune...)
Ah, a recent Hemingway book my reading circle read (To Have and Have Not) piqued my interest in the smuggling of "chinks" from Cuba to Florida, and how despised they were. Wherever I turn, I am asking Why? and saying Huh? For a supposedly educated woman, it's truly pathetic how little I know. :shock:
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

msfry wrote: September 16th, 2019, 5:31 pm
KevinS wrote: September 14th, 2019, 4:09 pm I'm interested in exploring the remarkable prejudice experienced by Asians who sought a new life in America in the second half of the 19th Century. For whatever reason, they were viewed as a real threat to the West Coast, in particular. I suppose because they were so little understood and that their accepting such low wages 'suppressed' the opportunities of others. (That same old tune...)
Ah, a recent Hemingway book my reading circle read (To Have and Have Not) piqued my interest in the smuggling of "chinks" from Cuba to Florida, and how despised they were. Wherever I turn, I am asking Why? and saying Huh? For a supposedly educated woman, it's truly pathetic how little I know. :shock:
The educated are the ones who realize they know so little.