[COMPLETE DR]Dr Dolittle's Post Office, Hugh Lofting - ke

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Post Reply
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 6757
Joined: August 7th, 2016, 6:39 pm

Post by mightyfelix » August 1st, 2020, 8:43 pm

I don't usually listen to completed projects either. But for dramatic works, I make an exception. The whole is so much greater than the sum of all its parts. :9: (The exception to that exception is works that I myself edited. I've already heard them enough! :lol: )

benderca
Posts: 1594
Joined: June 24th, 2017, 12:55 pm

Post by benderca » August 2nd, 2020, 5:28 pm

mightyfelix wrote:
August 1st, 2020, 8:23 pm
And section 6 is now uploading! :clap:

Tell Jasmin she did a fantastic job! :9: Nailed it! I used her lines to stand in for Zoe. It matches very well!

I'll stand by for any comments you may have, but that's about it. MW sections are all assigned and the cast list is ready.
Thanks, Devorah, I'll pass your compliment on to Jasmin!

What an exciting section! I agree that Jasmin's seagull fits in seamlessly -- if I didn't know it was her, I might not have recognized that young Australian girl!

Section 6 is PL OK! (and the most exciting section so far, imho :D ).

benderca
Posts: 1594
Joined: June 24th, 2017, 12:55 pm

Post by benderca » August 2nd, 2020, 6:03 pm

I only have one tiny note on Section 11:

At 13:50:

On the way out he noticed a schooner, the ship of Jack Wilkins, the pearl fisherman, at anchor near the entrance to Fantippo Harbor.

The words "fisherman" and "at" run into each other -- it might help to put a slight pause in between the words.

Other than that, Section 11 is PL OK!


mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 6757
Joined: August 7th, 2016, 6:39 pm

Post by mightyfelix » August 10th, 2020, 5:26 pm

benderca wrote:
August 2nd, 2020, 6:03 pm
I only have one tiny note on Section 11:

At 13:50:

On the way out he noticed a schooner, the ship of Jack Wilkins, the pearl fisherman, at anchor near the entrance to Fantippo Harbor.

The words "fisherman" and "at" run into each other -- it might help to put a slight pause in between the words.

Other than that, Section 11 is PL OK!
Better now?

benderca
Posts: 1594
Joined: June 24th, 2017, 12:55 pm

Post by benderca » August 11th, 2020, 11:47 am

mightyfelix wrote:
August 10th, 2020, 5:26 pm
benderca wrote:
August 2nd, 2020, 6:03 pm
I only have one tiny note on Section 11:

At 13:50:

On the way out he noticed a schooner, the ship of Jack Wilkins, the pearl fisherman, at anchor near the entrance to Fantippo Harbor.

The words "fisherman" and "at" run into each other -- it might help to put a slight pause in between the words.

Other than that, Section 11 is PL OK!
Better now?
Perfect! Devorah, you truly are an artist! :clap:

benderca
Posts: 1594
Joined: June 24th, 2017, 12:55 pm

Post by benderca » August 11th, 2020, 1:22 pm

Section 14:

I have a teensy tiny note -- almost not worth mentioning. But since you're such an audio artist, Devorah, I'll go ahead and mention it and you can decide.

At 33:53 between the word "head" and the word "quickly," there is an extra word "to" that does not make sense. It should be possible to cut it out.

"Away off somewhere among the tangled mangroves an owl hooted from the swamp and Too-Too turned his head quickly to listen."

Otherwise, Section 14 is PL OK! Nicely done!


mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 6757
Joined: August 7th, 2016, 6:39 pm

Post by mightyfelix » August 14th, 2020, 4:10 pm

benderca wrote:
August 11th, 2020, 1:22 pm
Section 14:

I have a teensy tiny note -- almost not worth mentioning. But since you're such an audio artist, Devorah, I'll go ahead and mention it and you can decide.

At 33:53 between the word "head" and the word "quickly," there is an extra word "to" that does not make sense. It should be possible to cut it out.

"Away off somewhere among the tangled mangroves an owl hooted from the swamp and Too-Too turned his head quickly to listen."

Otherwise, Section 14 is PL OK! Nicely done!
I'm sorry, TJ, but I don't hear it. I found that sentence, but after playing it back many times, I don't hear an extra word. Every time, it just sounds like, if anything, there is just a very deliberate 'd' sound at the end of "head." :hmm: EDIT: Since that was all, I will go ahead and mark this section PL ok.

Did you PL the Prologue already? It is still showing in the MW as ready for PL.

benderca
Posts: 1594
Joined: June 24th, 2017, 12:55 pm

Post by benderca » August 15th, 2020, 2:59 pm

mightyfelix wrote:
August 14th, 2020, 4:10 pm
I'm sorry, TJ, but I don't hear it. I found that sentence, but after playing it back many times, I don't hear an extra word. Every time, it just sounds like, if anything, there is just a very deliberate 'd' sound at the end of "head." :hmm: EDIT: Since that was all, I will go ahead and mark this section PL ok.
...all the better. :D
mightyfelix wrote:
August 14th, 2020, 4:10 pm
Did you PL the Prologue already? It is still showing in the MW as ready for PL.
No, I hadn't done the prologue yet because I wasn't sure if there was a script for the character list or not. But I just listened to it. The Prologue itself is word perfect. :clap:

For the Dramatis Personae, I just went down the list and made sure that all the characters were included -- and yes, they are! Yay! :clap:

A few of the characters didn't list their whole character title/description/name. I know some BCs are stingy about this, so I'll go ahead and list them here and you can decide what to do with this information:

Missing parts in red:

Jip the Dog
Dab-Dab the Duck
Too-Too the Owl
One Eye the Albatross
Mudface the Turtle

Almost there...
TJ

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 6757
Joined: August 7th, 2016, 6:39 pm

Post by mightyfelix » August 15th, 2020, 3:20 pm

Yes, I noticed that when I was assembling. :hmm: I wasn't planning to worry about it. Unlike a play, there is no real Dramatis Personae, and the character names are just what what I myself thought best to call them. On the other hand, I know that all of those readers are active and could probably provide a new voice credit, except for Elizabby. :( On the other other hand, I kind of just want to be able to press the DONE button on this one.

silverquill
Posts: 15334
Joined: May 25th, 2013, 9:11 pm
Location: Pittsfield, New Hampshire USA

Post by silverquill » August 15th, 2020, 7:37 pm

mightyfelix wrote:
August 15th, 2020, 3:20 pm
Yes, I noticed that when I was assembling. :hmm: I wasn't planning to worry about it. Unlike a play, there is no real Dramatis Personae, and the character names are just what what I myself thought best to call them. On the other hand, I know that all of those readers are active and could probably provide a new voice credit, except for Elizabby. :( On the other other hand, I kind of just want to be able to press the DONE button on this one.
I vote for the latter. :mrgreen:
~ Larry

benderca
Posts: 1594
Joined: June 24th, 2017, 12:55 pm

Post by benderca » August 16th, 2020, 2:11 am

silverquill wrote:
August 15th, 2020, 7:37 pm
mightyfelix wrote:
August 15th, 2020, 3:20 pm
Yes, I noticed that when I was assembling. :hmm: I wasn't planning to worry about it. Unlike a play, there is no real Dramatis Personae, and the character names are just what what I myself thought best to call them. On the other hand, I know that all of those readers are active and could probably provide a new voice credit, except for Elizabby. :( On the other other hand, I kind of just want to be able to press the DONE button on this one.
I vote for the latter. :mrgreen:
Me too, to be honest. As I recall, Larry explains who the main characters are in the prologue, and the others are explained as we go along. I think it’s fine as is. 😃

(another quick fix option would be that you, Larry, or I provide the missing words - I like to imitate voices).

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 6757
Joined: August 7th, 2016, 6:39 pm

Post by mightyfelix » August 16th, 2020, 11:29 am

benderca wrote:
August 16th, 2020, 2:11 am
(another quick fix option would be that you, Larry, or I provide the missing words - I like to imitate voices).
Ok, I thought of this, too, since that is often done in plays where the full voice credit is missing. I want to be done, but let's do it right! One final push!

Larry, will you please record:
The Dog
The Duck
The Owl
The Albatross
The Turtle
and submit it as a separate file. Then we can push the DONE button, after I slide those bad boys in place!

silverquill
Posts: 15334
Joined: May 25th, 2013, 9:11 pm
Location: Pittsfield, New Hampshire USA

Post by silverquill » August 18th, 2020, 7:09 am

I think I can do this.
Suffered a catastrophic hard drive failure and have a new laptop on order, but I have Audacity on my wife's laptop to do some PL, and I think I can just plug in my mic tonight and do these.
~ Larry

Post Reply