[COMPLETE DR]Dr Dolittle's Post Office, Hugh Lofting - ke

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Foon

Post by Foon »

mightyfelix wrote: August 8th, 2019, 11:25 am Sure, glad to have you again, Foon! I will definitely sign you up for Bertha. Would you like another small role as well? Bertha only has about a paragraph or so.
I probably will, but I'm not really clear on how much recording time I'll have in the upcoming few months(!) so I am trying not to over-commit. I'll claim more later if my time constraints allow it ;)
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Very, very easy to re-do this depending on what kind of voice you want. Just let me know.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kathrinee/drdolittlespostoffice_oneeye_7_128kb.mp3
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

How are we meant to name the files for this? Do we follow the "part one chapter one" system, or the "S1 S2 S3" system in the MW?
Leanne (leanneyauyau) :9:
my librivox page | website | fb page
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

leanneyauyau wrote: August 11th, 2019, 3:46 am How are we meant to name the files for this? Do we follow the "part one chapter one" system, or the "S1 S2 S3" system in the MW?
Use section numbers please! (S1, S2, etc.) There will be many chapters together in a single section, so recording by chapters will give me too many files to juggle. :)
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

KevinS wrote: August 9th, 2019, 1:45 pm Very, very easy to re-do this depending on what kind of voice you want. Just let me know.

This PL OK! However if you listen to the previous Doolittle book you will notice that most readers do “animal voices”. In your case I think I’d like a bit more of a character voice - you’re a bit unlucky that your natural voice sounds quite similar to our narrator, so you’re going to have to work harder than most to create a contrast.

Also remember that conversion to MP3 tends to “flatten” the acting, so you might need to ham it up a bit! This is the first role submitted so you have plenty of time if you wanted to give it another go?
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Elizabby wrote: August 11th, 2019, 3:20 pm
KevinS wrote: August 9th, 2019, 1:45 pm Very, very easy to re-do this depending on what kind of voice you want. Just let me know.

This PL OK! However if you listen to the previous Doolittle book you will notice that most readers do “animal voices”. In your case I think I’d like a bit more of a character voice - you’re a bit unlucky that your natural voice sounds quite similar to our narrator, so you’re going to have to work harder than most to create a contrast.

Also remember that conversion to MP3 tends to “flatten” the acting, so you might need to ham it up a bit! This is the first role submitted so you have plenty of time if you wanted to give it another go?
I think you should tell the narrator that it is unfortunate that he has a voice like mine! Hahah!

I will think of something to do with One-Eye, but for the life of me I can't think of what an albatross would sound like. Back to school!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

KevinS wrote: August 11th, 2019, 3:25 pm I think you should tell the narrator that it is unfortunate that he has a voice like mine! Hahah!

I will think of something to do with One-Eye, but for the life of me I can't think of what an albatross would sound like. Back to school!
Who's to say what an albatross would sound like, really? :lol:

I don't mind whether you try it again with a more hammed-up performance or leave it as is. My suggestion to you if you do re-do it, though, is not too worry so much about sounding like a bird, and try for sounding like a sailor. :wink: This is something that's truly unique to One Eye. There are quite a lot of talking birds in this book, but only one that reminds the Doctor of a sailor.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

I agree, I was thinking like a pirate voice! Or a regular sailor...
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

So you two want me to swear a lot! That's great! (Wink.)
Foon

Post by Foon »

Is it OK to claim animal roles in a non-matching gender? I'd love to read the squirrel too (I just love squirrels :D )
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Foon wrote: August 12th, 2019, 3:06 am Is it OK to claim animal roles in a non-matching gender? I'd love to read the squirrel too (I just love squirrels :D )
Yes! Casting is gender neutral. I only included the characters' genders in case readers wanted to know their character's gender before claiming.
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

I have Gub-Gub's first file, hopefully my animal voice comes through.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kathrinee/drdolittlespostoffice_gubgub_5_128kb.mp3
1:11
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
Pinklady77

Post by Pinklady77 »

Hello,
I can do Zuzana part but I'm unclear as to what's required in the notes. I am a newer reader but I understand what all is required here.

Thanks,
Lola Janie
Lola
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thanks, Lola. We'd be happy to have you!

The notes box tell you how many and which sections each character appears in. In this case, Zuzana appears in sections 1 and 2. (S1, S2) Then, to find her lines, you'll go to the notes box of section 1 and section 2 in the MW (magic window) and click where it says "Link to text." It may help to open that link in a separate tab or window.

Zuzana's lines are coded in a kind of peach pink color. You'll submit one file for section 1 and another file for section 2. Don't forget to start out by saying "Zuzana, read by Lola." (Or whatever name you want to use.) Then just read Zuzana's lines. Be sure to leave 3 seconds or so in between each line. If you want, you can read a little bit of the dialogue and narration surrounding your lines before you start, in order to have a better idea of what kind of emotion and inflection to use.

If you have any other questions, please ask! :)
Last edited by mightyfelix on August 15th, 2019, 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.