[COMPLETE DR]Dr Dolittle's Post Office, Hugh Lofting - ke

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

benderca wrote: February 12th, 2020, 3:45 am Yes, indeed. 💜
I can be the DPL. There's nothing that needs to be PLed now, correct?
I just saw this, TJ! :shock: Somehow I hadn't received a notification when you posted? Or maybe somehow the notification showed as Read, even though I never visited this page? Weird.

I appreciate your offer, and I'm happy to accept. No, there's nothing now that needs PL. I know that Larry has been working hard on his narration for this book, so I expect he'll be ready to have that PLed soon.

I am a little concerned about axcel, though. In my mind, I had thought that all we needed was narration, and I guess I had forgotten that our main character has still not come through. :? As much as I loved his portrayal of the Doctor in the last book, we haven't heard from him since October, and he hasn't even logged in since January. I did receive a PM from him back in November, explaining that there was a potentially dangerous bush fire near him and that it might be awhile before he could record. I'll send one more PM to see if we can get an update.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Time to edit some more narrator. I have through Section 10 recorded

https://librivox.org/uploads/kathrinee/drdolittlespostoffice_narrator_04_128kb.mp3 15:07
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
benderca

Post by benderca »

mightyfelix wrote: April 18th, 2020, 9:50 pm
benderca wrote: February 12th, 2020, 3:45 am Yes, indeed. 💜
I can be the DPL. There's nothing that needs to be PLed now, correct?
I just saw this, TJ! :shock: Somehow I hadn't received a notification when you posted? Or maybe somehow the notification showed as Read, even though I never visited this page? Weird.

I appreciate your offer, and I'm happy to accept. No, there's nothing now that needs PL. I know that Larry has been working hard on his narration for this book, so I expect he'll be ready to have that PLed soon.

I am a little concerned about axcel, though. In my mind, I had thought that all we needed was narration, and I guess I had forgotten that our main character has still not come through. :? As much as I loved his portrayal of the Doctor in the last book, we haven't heard from him since October, and he hasn't even logged in since January. I did receive a PM from him back in November, explaining that there was a potentially dangerous bush fire near him and that it might be awhile before he could record. I'll send one more PM to see if we can get an update.
Thanks, Devorah! Yes, I know Larry is active in multiple projects, but I have been wondering about Axcel (I sure hope that bush fire didn't get too near :cry: ). Well, I'll keep my eye on this forum and PL them as they come.
Thanks again, TJ
benderca

Post by benderca »

silverquill wrote: April 26th, 2020, 9:32 pm Time to edit some more narrator. I have through Section 10 recorded

https://librivox.org/uploads/kathrinee/drdolittlespostoffice_narrator_04_128kb.mp3 15:07
Thanks, Larry! That's great. I've marked section 4 as Ready to PL and linked it to the MW. I will listen to it soon.
TJ
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

~ Larry
benderca

Post by benderca »

silverquill wrote: April 29th, 2020, 9:02 am Another section, very narrator intensive:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kathrinee/drdolittlespostoffice_narrator_05_128kb.mp3 21:07
Thanks, Larry!

I will PL both sections soon.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thanks, Larry!
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

~ Larry
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Got it in the MW, thanks!
benderca

Post by benderca »

Hi Larry and Devorah,

Since I'm jumping in new (at least as DPL) to this project, I don't know how picky you want me to get, so I'll reserve judgement on what needs to be corrected and what not and just point out what I read compared to what I hear -- and you two can decide what to do with that information. :D

First of all, great reading, as always, Larry!

Dolittle Section 4, Narrator:

00:43 You added an extra word to the sentence: “to”

"The tremendous animal which the Fantippans had called a dragon had now climbed right up [to] the beach and was standing fully revealed in all his strangeness." (only slightly changes the meaning)

It's funny to mention this, because as a fictional creature, there is no proper pronunciation, but you pronounce Piffilosaurus the first two times like it's spelled: Piff-ill-o-saurus (1:55 and 2:03) and after that you switch the "iff" with the "ill" and pronounce it Pill-iff-o-saurus (2:07, 2:36, 3:29, 3:47, 7:00). I don't think anyone who is not expressly PLing would notice, though.

You replaced a couple of words with equally good words, like "when" with "while" and "in" with "at," but I didn't note the location because the meaning was not changed at all.

So there you have it. Again, great job, Larry. I can't wait to hear this chapter put together.
TJ
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I'm not too concerned with the word substitutions/additions if they don't change anything much.

I won't be very picky on pronunciation, either, although it would be better to be as consistent as possible. Your choice, Larry, whether you'd like to revisit the pronunciations on Piffillosaurus. :wink: I seem to remember that Bag-Jagderag caught you out a time or two as well. That darn Hugh Lofting and his made-up words! :lol:
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

mightyfelix wrote: April 30th, 2020, 5:05 pm I'm not too concerned with the word substitutions/additions if they don't change anything much.

I won't be very picky on pronunciation, either, although it would be better to be as consistent as possible. Your choice, Larry, whether you'd like to revisit the pronunciations on Piffillosaurus. :wink: I seem to remember that Bag-Jagderag caught you out a time or two as well. That darn Hugh Lofting and his made-up words! :lol:
Wow, you remember that!
Yep, Piffilosaurous, Pilliforsaurus and could probably come up with a few more jaberwocky variations. :lol:
~ Larry
benderca

Post by benderca »

silverquill wrote: April 30th, 2020, 5:21 pm
mightyfelix wrote: April 30th, 2020, 5:05 pm I'm not too concerned with the word substitutions/additions if they don't change anything much.

Wow, you remember that!
Yep, Piffilosaurous, Pilliforsaurus and could probably come up with a few more jaberwocky variations. :lol:
Ha ha ha! That's funny because in the last book, I pronounced Jolliginki (as in Prince Bumpo of Jolliginki) with an extra "n" throughout. I said JolliNginki. But nobody complained, and I didn't want to do all my lines over, so I left it. :lol: :lol: :lol:
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Yes, well, I simply considered that, as a native of the country, Bumpo certainly knew how it ought to be pronounced, and I'm sure everyone else just couldn't quite get it right. :wink:
benderca

Post by benderca »

mightyfelix wrote: May 1st, 2020, 4:57 am Yes, well, I simply considered that, as a native of the country, Bumpo certainly knew how it ought to be pronounced, and I'm sure everyone else just couldn't quite get it right. :wink:
Quite right. I am rather tired of people mispronouncing my beloved homeland. It is pronounced, as we say in Jolliginkish, with a “nasal g”. :lol: :lol: :lol: