COMPLETE Short Poetry Collection 195 - rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
k5hsj
Posts: 638
Joined: August 17th, 2010, 12:02 am
Location: Point Richmond, CA

Post by k5hsj » August 27th, 2019, 12:13 pm

Hi Rapunzelina,

Here's a selection covering a wide range geographically and temporally, from Tang Dynasty China to Jazz Age America with a stopover in Elizabethan England!

As due by many titles I resign (Holy Sonnet II) by John Donne, (1572-1631)
Text: https://www.bartleby.com/357/92.html
Duration: 1:19
MP3: https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/spc195_asduemanytitles_wt_128kb.mp3

In the Mountains on a Summer Day by Li Po (701-762) Translated by Arthur Waley (1889-1966)
Text: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/16500
Duration: 0:45
MP3: https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/spc195_inmountainssummerday_wt_128kb.mp3

Dust of Snow by Robert Frost (1874-1963)
Text: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/58611
Duration: 0:35
MP3: https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/spc195_dustofsnow_wt_128kb.mp3

Winston
Be kind. Be interesting. Be useful. Morality ain't hard.--Jack Butler, Living in Little Rock with Miss Little Rock

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 7727
Joined: November 15th, 2011, 3:47 am

Post by Rapunzelina » August 29th, 2019, 8:20 am

GrayHouse wrote:
August 23rd, 2019, 1:51 am
One more from me to complete my autumn theme for the month. I don't think John Helston is in the LV catalog.

And now he is! :mrgreen: Thank you Ian! All three of your recordings are PL OK and in the Magic Window!

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 7727
Joined: November 15th, 2011, 3:47 am

Post by Rapunzelina » August 29th, 2019, 8:27 am

jigraves wrote:
August 23rd, 2019, 7:28 am
The Stars by Madison Cawein (1865-1914)
Text URL: http://www.theotherpages.org/poems/cawein01.html#5
Duration: 33 seconds
MP3 URL: https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/spc195_Stars_JG_128kb.mp3
Hey Jackie! I hope I'm spelling your name correctly! Let me know if you'd like to be credited in the catalog as Jackie Graves or something else. Thank you for your contribution! Everything is great with the recording! I only had to edit the filename because we use lower case letters. Lovely reading! :thumbs:

jigraves
Posts: 2
Joined: January 10th, 2018, 9:43 am

Post by jigraves » August 29th, 2019, 9:09 am

Thank you so much! Yes, Jackie Graves will be fine. I look forward to doing more readings. :D

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 7727
Joined: November 15th, 2011, 3:47 am

Post by Rapunzelina » August 29th, 2019, 9:21 am

jigraves wrote:
August 29th, 2019, 9:09 am
Thank you so much! Yes, Jackie Graves will be fine. I look forward to doing more readings. :D
Great! So this is your Reader Page https://librivox.org/reader/13570
It lists all the projects you've read for, so it might look a bit empty now, but this will soon change since you enjoy recording! :D
You can also keep track of your open projects/sections under the link for "Reader section details"
Have fun here! :clap:

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 7727
Joined: November 15th, 2011, 3:47 am

Post by Rapunzelina » August 29th, 2019, 9:39 am

Hi Colleen! Welcome back! I hope you had a nice break!


It's easier to establish the Public domain status for works if the text source contains publication information. poetryfoundation.org does not, so I look around for other sources of the text that do. We need that because new copyrighted editions may have changes from the original text, or typos and OCR mistakes may appear (and that's why scanned sources are even better)

For these poems, I have found scanned books in archive.org

"Love Me Little, Love Me Long" by Anonymous https://archive.org/details/lifelightssonge01lifegoog/page/n134
the differences here are :
"as true a touch" in the text vs. "as true as touch" in the recording/poetryfoundation.org
"I to thee" in the text vs. "I too thee" in the recording/poetryfoundation.org
Well, it's not much of a difference, so up to you if you want to do any editing


"The Passionate Shepherd to His Love" by Christopher Marlowe https://archive.org/details/goldentreasurrev00palguoft/page/4
Here I found differences in the 3rd and 4th lines, first words in 2nd and 3rd paragraph, and an extra paragraph, second to last. I would prefer if we followed the text in the scanned book, or, of course, if you could find a dated or scanned text source with your version.



"The Nymph's Reply to the Shepherd" by Walter Raleigh https://archive.org/details/englandsheliconc00bulliala/page/230
Here there were no differences, marking it PL OK in the Magic Window :thumbs:

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 7727
Joined: November 15th, 2011, 3:47 am

Post by Rapunzelina » August 29th, 2019, 9:44 am

Grothmann wrote:
August 27th, 2019, 11:17 am
Hi:

The Tidings (Easter 1916)
by Lola Ridge

Time :56

Audio at
https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/spc195_tidings_dg_128kb.mp3

Text at
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/4332

An historical poem....
Dale
Cool! Thank you, Dale! It's now in the Magic Window, marked PL OK! :9:

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 7727
Joined: November 15th, 2011, 3:47 am

Post by Rapunzelina » August 29th, 2019, 10:03 am

k5hsj wrote:
August 27th, 2019, 12:13 pm
Hi Rapunzelina,

Here's a selection covering a wide range geographically and temporally, from Tang Dynasty China to Jazz Age America with a stopover in Elizabethan England!

As due by many titles I resign (Holy Sonnet II) by John Donne, (1572-1631)
Text: https://www.bartleby.com/357/92.html
Duration: 1:19
MP3: https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/spc195_asduemanytitles_wt_128kb.mp3

In the Mountains on a Summer Day by Li Po (701-762) Translated by Arthur Waley (1889-1966)
Text: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/16500
Duration: 0:45
MP3: https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/spc195_inmountainssummerday_wt_128kb.mp3

Dust of Snow by Robert Frost (1874-1963)
Text: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/58611
Duration: 0:35
MP3: https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/spc195_dustofsnow_wt_128kb.mp3

Winston
What a journey! Thank you Winston! MW updated with PL OKs :D

ColleenMc
Posts: 1001
Joined: April 9th, 2017, 5:57 pm

Post by ColleenMc » August 29th, 2019, 10:27 am

Rapunzelina wrote:
August 29th, 2019, 9:39 am
Hi Colleen! Welcome back! I hope you had a nice break!


It's easier to establish the Public domain status for works if the text source contains publication information. poetryfoundation.org does not, so I look around for other sources of the text that do. We need that because new copyrighted editions may have changes from the original text, or typos and OCR mistakes may appear (and that's why scanned sources are even better)

For these poems, I have found scanned books in archive.org

"Love Me Little, Love Me Long" by Anonymous https://archive.org/details/lifelightssonge01lifegoog/page/n134
the differences here are :
"as true a touch" in the text vs. "as true as touch" in the recording/poetryfoundation.org
"I to thee" in the text vs. "I too thee" in the recording/poetryfoundation.org
Well, it's not much of a difference, so up to you if you want to do any editing


"The Passionate Shepherd to His Love" by Christopher Marlowe https://archive.org/details/goldentreasurrev00palguoft/page/4
Here I found differences in the 3rd and 4th lines, first words in 2nd and 3rd paragraph, and an extra paragraph, second to last. I would prefer if we followed the text in the scanned book, or, of course, if you could find a dated or scanned text source with your version.



"The Nymph's Reply to the Shepherd" by Walter Raleigh https://archive.org/details/englandsheliconc00bulliala/page/230
Here there were no differences, marking it PL OK in the Magic Window :thumbs:


Okay, I re-recorded both using the approved source. Uploaded under same file names, the time for "Love me Little" is the same, but "Passionate Shepherd" is now 1:27.

Thanks!
Colleen

KevinS
Posts: 2910
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » August 29th, 2019, 10:44 am

Rapunzelina wrote:
August 14th, 2019, 4:22 am
Hi Kevin! Thank you for this recording! Did you mean to add those lines in the beginning, starting "Who in the realm to-day lays down dear life for the sake of a land more dear"? They are missing from the recording, though the similar ending lines are included. Nevertheless, great reading! :D

If you re-upload, please use the file-name spc195_deadking_ks_128kb (without the article 'the')
My apologies for missing this message.

I think I like what I've done here, though I will do as you think best. I don't see a need necessarily for repeating that addition at both beginning and end. In fact, I considered not recording it at all. Do you think it would be better without? I could place it at the beginning instead of the end.
E agora, José?

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 7727
Joined: November 15th, 2011, 3:47 am

Post by Rapunzelina » August 29th, 2019, 10:50 am

The thing is, the beginning lines are a bit different from the ending lines, so there might be some significance there. I would suggest including them, I feel it would be incomplete otherwise. :)

KevinS
Posts: 2910
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » August 29th, 2019, 10:54 am

Rapunzelina wrote:
August 29th, 2019, 10:50 am
The thing is, the beginning lines are a bit different from the ending lines, so there might be some significance there. I would suggest including them, I feel it would be incomplete otherwise. :)
Will do this now. I didn't realize there was a difference.
E agora, José?

KevinS
Posts: 2910
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » August 29th, 2019, 11:31 am

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/spc195_deadking_ks_128kb.mp3

4:25

Here we are. I hope this fixes matters.

I very, very much appreciate your caring so much about this. I'm a bit ashamed to have missed that this 'frontispiece' has a different partner. I missed it entirely.

Thank you!
E agora, José?

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 7727
Joined: November 15th, 2011, 3:47 am

Post by Rapunzelina » August 29th, 2019, 12:50 pm

Thank you, Kevin! All perfect!

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 7727
Joined: November 15th, 2011, 3:47 am

Post by Rapunzelina » August 29th, 2019, 12:58 pm

ColleenMc wrote:
August 29th, 2019, 10:27 am
Okay, I re-recorded both using the approved source. Uploaded under same file names, the time for "Love me Little" is the same, but "Passionate Shepherd" is now 1:27.

Thanks!
Colleen
Great! Thank you for taking the time to update the recodings! :9: Better safe than sorry with pd sources...

Post Reply