COMPLETE [POETRY] Dagonet Ditties by George R. Sims - kiki

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Dagonet Ditties by George R. Sims (1847 - 1922).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/dagonet-ditties-by-george-r-sims/
George Robert Sims was an English journalist, poet, dramatist, novelist, prolific in his output and known for his satire and humor. These qualities are reflected in this collection small poems originally published in the literary magazine, “The Referee.” ( Larry Wilson)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/58246
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: Poetry/Single author

Keywords that describe the book:

============================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      • No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      • At the beginning of the recording, read the abbreviated "LibriVox disclaimer":
      "[Poem title], by George R. Sims, read for LibriVox.org" by [your name] or some variation on that, adding date, location, your personal URL, etc., if you wish.
      • Then read the poem.
      • At the end, say: "End of poem. This recording is in the public domain." and leave five seconds of silence.
      At the end of the book, also say, "End of Dagonet Ditties by George R. Sims"

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  • AFTER recording
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    dagonetditties_##_sims_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. dagonetditties_01_sims_128kb.mp3)

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
    Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: kikisaulite
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kikisaulite »

Setting this one up for you, Larry. Will be ready in few minutes!

Kristine :)
Keep your mind here and now, where it belongs.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I couldn't wait!

Just yell at me if I have the numbering wrong!

https://librivox.org/uploads/kikisaulite/dagonetditties_10_sims_128kb.mp3

1:25
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Thanks, Kristine!

MW is set up and . . . . ready for a DPL
... and readers.

Kevin, yours is ready.
Thanks.
~ Larry
svonb002

Post by svonb002 »

Hello, may I claim sections 1, 7, 8, 16, and 49?
~ Stefan V.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

svonb002 wrote: July 31st, 2019, 8:24 am Hello, may I claim sections 1, 7, 8, 16, and 49?
Thank you, Stefan!
~ Larry
Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kikisaulite »

Moving to Readers Wanted - short works.
Keep your mind here and now, where it belongs.
Xctops

Post by Xctops »

Hello, I'm new. I would like to go by Miles Lawrence. I want to claim section 80. URL link http://www.formulafreak.com
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Xctops wrote: August 1st, 2019, 1:06 pm Hello, I'm new. I would like to go by Miles Lawrence. I want to claim section 80. URL link http://www.formulafreak.com
I would be glad to have you join this project?

We do as our new readers to complete a one-minute test recording first, however.
Under point 2 of the initial post in this thread, you will find a link to the Newbie Guide to Recording. In it you will find instructions for completing that test, and a lot of other useful information as well.

As soon as you have the OK from that, post again here so that I can assign that section for you.
In the meantime, I will save it for you.

Let me know if you have any questions.

~Larry
~ Larry
Xctops

Post by Xctops »

Got the okay from that: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=76043&p=1616743#p1616743

Could I also get 78 and 79?
Xctops

Post by Xctops »

silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Xctops wrote: August 4th, 2019, 9:23 pm Got the okay from that: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=76043&p=1616743#p1616743

Could I also get 78 and 79?

Wonderful :thumbs:

I've assigned 78-80 to you.
Just click on your name in the Magic Window to see your personal catalog page.
This is where you can view all of your LibriVox work.

Thank you, and WELCOME to LV :clap:
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Xctops wrote: August 4th, 2019, 9:29 pm For poem 80: https://librivox.org/uploads/kikisaulite/dagonetditties_80_sims_128kb.mp3
Length: 01:22
We don't have a DPL yet, so I listened to this so you could have some feedback.

The reading itself is excellent! I think you catch the essence of the wit of this poem.
There is quite a bit of reverb, which has more to do with how your recording space is set up than anything, but it is sill quite acceptable. (I battle the same problem and am going to make some changes).

The only thing that needs attention is the redundant disclaimer right at the beginning. We do things a bit differently for short poetry books, so just clip that out so that your recording begins with the title of the poem as you have it. The outro is fine, but you can trim that ending silence from your 6 seconds to just 5 seconds. Minor, but might as well do it since you have to upload a new file. Just use the same file name and post it again here with the new length.

I think you're off to a good start, and I know you will enjoy being here as much as we enjoy having you!

~Larry
~ Larry
Xctops

Post by Xctops »

Xctops

Post by Xctops »

silverquill wrote: August 4th, 2019, 10:05 pm
We don't have a DPL yet, so I listened to this so you could have some feedback.

The reading itself is excellent! I think you catch the essence of the wit of this poem.
There is quite a bit of reverb, which has more to do with how your recording space is set up than anything, but it is sill quite acceptable. (I battle the same problem and am going to make some changes).

The only thing that needs attention is the redundant disclaimer right at the beginning. We do things a bit differently for short poetry books, so just clip that out so that your recording begins with the title of the poem as you have it. The outro is fine, but you can trim that ending silence from your 6 seconds to just 5 seconds. Minor, but might as well do it since you have to upload a new file. Just use the same file name and post it again here with the new length.

I think you're off to a good start, and I know you will enjoy being here as much as we enjoy having you!

~Larry
Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate it, and the reverb is a small issue, but I am doing my best to fix it. I'm currently using a recording booth setup in a public library, which is definitely better than my house, but it has a bit of a high ceiling and not some of the greatest sound proofing techniques.

As to future recordings, I am indeed very excited to stay on board here. Things will change when the upcoming semester starts (oof) but I'm certainly enjoying myself for the time being. Glad to help!

~Miles