[COMPLETE] Nami-ko by Roka Tokutomi - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Oh, I haven't been good about updating the MW, but all are PL OK thorugh Chapter 24.

I think maybe the "century egg" is a Chinese tradition. Someone gave me one, but it was wretched. The most interesting egg I had in Japan to the Lake Hakone area where we soaked in the hot sulfur springs and had eggs boiled in the sulfur water. We and the eggs were full of sulfur. :roll:
Interesting trip, though.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Aha! Was able to finish this, and happy to report all sections PL OK. :clap:

Thanks so much for allowin me to listen along to this intresting story.
And, you flawless recordings made it an additional pleasure. :D
~ Larry
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Thank you Larry, we made the deadline! :clap:

I hope you'll enjoy the story even more if I tell you...

... it's based on a real incident which sparked quite a scandal some 100 years ago. :shock:

Nami is based on one Nobuko Oyama, and Takeo is based on Yataro Mishima. They were indeed happily married, but when Nobuko fell ill with tuberculosis just a few months into the marriage, Mishima's family sent her back to the Oyamas, and all her stuff with her, which indeed meant a divorce.
Yataro didn't like it at all, but couldn't really intervene, and Nobuko was just ill enough that nobody informed her of the divorce - apparently the servants even burnt all the letters between the former spouses.

The scandal part comes in because Nobuko was the daughter of Oyama Iwao, an imperial general and founder of the imperial army who married his second wife Sutematsu, who was the first Japanese woman to graduate from Vassar college. The book paints in particular Sutematsu in a not-so-bright light, and hence the scandal, which both tried hard to live down.

Source: Kuno, Akiko (1993). Unexpected destinations: the poignant story of Japan's first Vassar graduate
Chapter 7 "Turning Inward".

What do you say? :D
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Very cool! It's been a long time since I studied Japanese history, so I'll have to brush up.
~ Larry
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Thanks for listening Larry!

This project is now complete. All audio files can be downloaded form the catalog page:
https://librivox.org/namiko-by-kenjiro-tokutomi/
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com