[COMPLETE] The Artist, or Young Ladies' Instructor in Painting, Drawing... - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

wow, you had quite a run with this one! :shock:
Thank you so much for completing Ellen and helping us on the way! :clap:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

A little update on this one: Our DPL hasn't been online in almost 2 months, so I'm looking for a new one.

Sadly, our "Charlotte" has had some serious life changes and needs to take a break, so I've opened up this section for somebody else.
Since Charlotte is essentially the main character in this book, this is a substantial role, and I'd like a more experienced narrator to take it on. Females only please :wink:

This does not seem to be a very lucky project... :?
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
BillTurns

Post by BillTurns »

Availle wrote: March 15th, 2020, 4:12 am A little update on this one: Our DPL hasn't been online in almost 2 months, so I'm looking for a new one.

Sadly, our "Charlotte" has had some serious life changes and needs to take a break, so I've opened up this section for somebody else.
Since Charlotte is essentially the main character in this book, this is a substantial role, and I'd like a more experienced narrator to take it on. Females only please :wink:

Good morning Availle,

I will give a go at PL'ing some of these. This would be the first time I've listened to a Dramatic Reading, let alone PL'd one. I will pull a few into the process and see how it goes. I'll update with my thoughts and I'll be open to critique. If all goes well, I'll gladly DPL for you.

~ Bill
Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn.
~Benjamin Franklin
BillTurns

Post by BillTurns »

BillTurns wrote: March 16th, 2020, 7:50 am
Availle wrote: March 15th, 2020, 4:12 am A little update on this one: Our DPL hasn't been online in almost 2 months, so I'm looking for a new one.

Good morning Availle,

I will give a go at PL'ing some of these. This would be the first time I've listened to a Dramatic Reading, let alone PL'd one. I will pull a few into the process and see how it goes. I'll update with my thoughts and I'll be open to critique. If all goes well, I'll gladly DPL for you.

~ Bill
Update: Sections 31 - 44.

Section 31 : PL OK
Section 32 : Missing last line for Ellen on page 26 starting with, "I am very much..."
Section 33 : PL OK
Section 34 : PL OK
Section 35 : PL OK
Section 36 : PL OK
Section 37 : PL OK
Section 38 : PL OK
Section 39 : PL OK
Section 40 : PL OK
Section 41 : PL OK
Section 42 (1:15) : 00:41 - "I should so like to see how it will 'work'." reads "...it will look."
Section 43 (0:48): PL OK
Section 44 (1:32): PL OK

Not sure if 'word perfect' is recommended, there is only one word so far out of place.

The detail in the OP has the inclusion of "End of section ##." at the end of the file, and none of these, or previously PL OK files do. So I disregarded this detail. Also, the section numbering detail in the OP should be updated to include detail noting that the section number in the file does not correspond to the section number in the overall listing in the MW, but rather the section number referencing the order for the specific character being read. Learning as I go.

I do intend to finish the remainder of the Ellen files after lunch. Sounds good so far.

~Bill
~Benjamin Franklin
BillTurns

Post by BillTurns »

MrsHand wrote: February 7th, 2020, 6:44 pm And here are Ellen's remaining sections:
Continuing with the same standards as before. One missing word, maybe not an issue; and one missing line.

Section 45 (0:55) : PL OK
Section 46 (0:34) : PL OK
Section 47 (1:11) : PL OK
Section 48 (0:36) : PL OK
Section 49 (1:00) : 00:48 - "...before I venture upon the whole." reads, "...upon the whole group."
Section 50 (3:31) : PL OK
Section 51 (0:43) : PL OK
Section 52 (1:46) : PL OK
Section 53 (3:42) : PL OK
Section 54 (0:28) : PL OK
Section 55 (1:31) : Missing last line for Ellen on page 205 starting with, "Oh yes. I..."
Section 56 (1:21) : PL OK
Section 57 (1:56) : PL OK
Section 58 (0:55) : PL OK
Section 59 (0:44) : PL OK
Section 60 (0:33) : PL OK

Pretty good over all. Not a bad process for the PL'ing as I can tell. If you'll have me, I'll continue to watch for new files and DPL for this project as it continues.

~Bill
~Benjamin Franklin
MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Hi Bill and welcome to this project!

I see you've finished all the open PLing already, thank you! :shock: You have definitely earned your spot as DPL for this one, thank you so much!

For a Dramatic Work (a play or a dramatic reading like this one), there are two stages of PLing:

1) individual files. This is to check that all the lines are there and the tech specs are good. Usually there's no need for word perfect (unless the meaning is changed drastically), and except for the narrator's files, no need to check for correct intros/outros either.

2) The final assembled files. Here again, a check if everything is there, plus the intros/outros for each file, this is like PLing for a normal project.

I have moved the PL OK files out of the way and left the ones you mentioned with PL notes in place.

Anyway, thanks for stepping in here, let me know if you have questions. Glad to have you on board! :clap:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Goodness, I didn't even see this when I posted my response to Bill. Thank you so much for your swift re-do Kristin! :clap:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
BillTurns

Post by BillTurns »

Availle wrote: March 16th, 2020, 7:21 pm Goodness, I didn't even see this when I posted my response to Bill. Thank you so much for your swift re-do Kristin! :clap:
Your corrections are seamless. Well done. PL OK for the fixes.

~Bill
~Benjamin Franklin
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Thank YOU! :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Roxanneh

Post by Roxanneh »

May I have section 1 please?
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

HI Roxanne and welcome to LibriVox!

This here is our "Dramatic Works" forum, where we read plays and other books so that everyone chooses one character and reads all of the character's lines throughout the book/play. When all roles are in, an editor will put the play together.

That means that you can't just claim a single section like in other projects, you would have to read all of Charlotte's lines in the whole book. Unfortunately, Charlotte is the main character here, so that would mean that you'd have to read at least half of the book, if not more. I'm afraid, that's quite a lot for a total newbie to take on... :oops:

So maybe do some other reading first and when you're comfortable that you can take on this large project, you can come back to it. Given how slowly this is going, I would not be surprised if it is still open in a month or two...
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Ambsweet13

Post by Ambsweet13 »

Hello,
I could claim Charlotte. :D
I know I just recently joined Librivox, however, I have been very active on the forum and have done a number of recordings. These have included some smaller parts in Dramatic Works as well as some longish short stories. I am also BCing this week's weekly poetry. I also have a LOT of free time on my hands (home for the summer from college and can't easily get any summer employment due to COVID-19 :roll: )
Let me know! Thanks!
AMB
A.M.B. :roll:

Between illnesses, work, and vacation, May wasn't my best Librivox month. But I'm back and ready to do some more recording, editing, and PLing!
Ambsweet13

Post by Ambsweet13 »

Ambsweet13 wrote: May 27th, 2020, 12:33 pm Hello,
I could claim Charlotte. :D
I know I just recently joined Librivox, however, I have been very active on the forum and have done a number of recordings. These have included some smaller parts in Dramatic Works as well as some longish short stories. I am also BCing this week's weekly poetry. I also have a LOT of free time on my hands (home for the summer from college and can't easily get any summer employment due to COVID-19 :roll: )
Let me know! Thanks!
AMB
I posted this message a while ago and I think it might have been missed
A.M.B. :roll:

Between illnesses, work, and vacation, May wasn't my best Librivox month. But I'm back and ready to do some more recording, editing, and PLing!
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Oh no, I saw this the first time around. I just didn't really know what to do with this... :?

You see, you would be the third newbie to claim a role in this project just to promptly disappear, and obviously, I'm not keen on this at all. I've seen plenty of beginners on here with the "oh, shiny new thing!!" look in their eyes just to find out too quickly that they need to record all those claims sooner or later.

I'm sorry if I'm sounding bitchy, but this is a lot of work (it would immediately double your open commitments) and you shouldn't step into this lightly.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com