[COMPLETE] English and Cantonese Dictionary, by John Chalmers - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

David,

you can have the introduction on the cover in whatever way you wish, I don't mind.

However, I will need that introduction (text only) for the catalog page or it will be completely empty. Have a look here:

https://librivox.org/a-journey-round-my-room-by-xavier-de-maistre/

If you don't give me an introduction, we will get title, author name, genre and language and nothing else on top of that page.
Got it? :D

I would prefer to have something significantly shorter than 1500 words though. :wink:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
DavidReader

Post by DavidReader »

Ah, got it! I will work on that.
rachelmoraes

Post by rachelmoraes »

Sorry, I have no right to be here, but your tread was just below mine and by a mistake I opened it. Then, I got caught. :wink:
I started reading at the very beginning, when you had a very interesting discussion about should it be or not proper to have an audio dictionary. Wonderful discussion, all along. And I had a quick glance (hearing) of the first dictionary words. I know I shouldn’t, but I couldn’t resist. Incredible work :clap: .
It was a lesson to see all the process going on. Thank you very much, DavidReader, Availle, silverquill and YunqinqJune.
I’m not an English or Cantonese native speaking person. Even so, the audio from John Chalmers English and Cantonese Dictionary is very appealing to me. Just waiting for it to be published.

Once more, thank you all.

Rachel :D
Quer narrar uma obra EM PORTUGUÊS? Que tal Horto, de Auta de Souza? ou O Guarani, de José de Alencar? :D
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

So you listened before it was finished... how naughty of you! :P

However, my real objection is against this one:
rachelmoraes wrote: May 7th, 2020, 4:19 pm Sorry, I have no right to be here,...
Why not? We all like encouragement from time to time. It's nice. :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

DavidReader wrote: May 6th, 2020, 8:14 pm Hi Availle,

Hmmm :hmm:, I have embedded my Introduction, which has about 1500 words, and the Index, into an integral part of the design...
After browsing through the materials that you have sent me, I think even if I were to eliminate the Introduction from the design, the length of the Index may still not easily be cramped into the back cover of the cd jacket. May I propose the following idea: I will try to redesign my work, so that it will consist of all the basic elements required, but with an added booklet that includes the Introduction and the Index.
Yes - you can add a booklet if you wish but remember I can only link 1 pdf so the booklet and cover must be in the same pdf.
I am never sure how many people actually download the pdf, I suspect not a lot, the most used part will be the 2 jpg images.

Anne
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

I have listened to the last two remaining sections and marked them PL OK, which should complete the PL for all sections.

A thousand thanks to Yuqing for helping out with this monumental task!

And, a hearty congratulations to David on this epic work. :clap:

And, of course, thanks for the constant guidance of Ava as MC, who took this from the incipient idea to completion.

Maybe a few details to work out in other areas still, but the PL is done.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Thank you!

Yes, now all we need is an introduction for the catalog page and this can be finished. :clap:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
DavidReader

Post by DavidReader »

Hi silverquill, Availle and Yuqing,
Thanks everyone in making this project come to fruition!
I have to thank silverquill in particular, without whose support, this project would not have left the ground. Regrettably, the proof-listening of this rather long and monotonous recording must be a very tedious chore, but your persistence in pressing ahead till the end despite some understandable lulls, is most appreciated. Everything here is voluntary, and you have no obligation to ensure it to be completed quickly.

Thanks also to Availle, without whose experience and knowledge in the ins and outs of the Librivox machinery, I would have gone astray on many instances; and whose commanding presence had steadfastly guided its coordination until completion.

Last, but not least, my thanks to Yuqing, whose timely appearance in lending a helping hand, had offered a critical boost to the project, when it was in jeopardy of loosening energy to proceed further.

The following is my proposed introduction to the project, please comment on it and see if any amendment is needed:
"John Chalmers’ English and Cantonese Dictionary offers a valuable glimpse into the state of Cantonese that was spoken in Canton and in the colony of Hong Kong during the late nineteenth and the early twentieth century; through the comprehension of, and the presentation made by, Mr. Chalmers and some other foreigners. Anyone who has only heard Chinese spoken in Putonghua, can now hear how different Chinese may sound in Cantonese; and how different its style and expression are, from that of Putonghua.
Words were listed in alphabetical order, each of which was accompanied by its corresponding Chinese characters (logograms), and was followed by tonal markings for its Cantonese pronunciation. Additional words and/or expressions in Cantonese that derived from the word were also found in many of the entries. A handy introduction to the rules for pronouncing Cantonese and those for their tonal markings could also be found.
Please refer to the appended booklet for further remarks by the reader and a full index of this recording."

Thanks again. :thumbs:
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Looks good!

One slight change I would recommend is to add "Mandarin" to the two spots where you mention Putonghua - I didn't know the latter word until I lived in HongKong myself.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
DavidReader

Post by DavidReader »

Hi Availle,
Thanks to your comment, I think it may be amended to read "Putonghua/Mandarin" in the two spots, because "Mandarin" is an obsolete term for the language that it is at present spoken and referred to, and would loose the intention of the sentence when this term stands alone.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Understood. I will change this and then commence with cataloging. :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Well, good things come to those who wait. In this case, a complete English/Cantonese Dictionary:

This project is now complete! All files can be downloaded from the catalog page:
https://librivox.org/english-and-cantonese-dictionary-by-john-chalmers/

Congratulations to everybody, including both our DPLs! :clap: :clap:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
DavidReader

Post by DavidReader »

Hi Availle
Thanks very much!
I notice that there seems to be an error in the running time as stated in the catalog page. The total running time should be: 35 hours 22 min.
One other thing, how shall I name the zip file that is to be uploaded?
Thanks again for all your assistance in the completion of this project. :thumbs:
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Ah, the typical "it runs over 24 hours but we can't handle that automatically" issue. I fixed it, thank you.

As for the .zip file - you mean with the cover and booklet? - it doesn't matter much what you call it as long as it can be clearly tied to this project. :wink:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
DavidReader

Post by DavidReader »

Thanks! :thumbs: