[COMPLETE] Gems of Chinese Verse - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » July 7th, 2019, 5:45 am

Questions like
- Will the full LibriVox disclaimer be required for each section? Most of the poems are rather short.
- I would like the reader to identify the author along with the poem's title. Can that be made clear in the MW?
- how many sections do I need
- can / should I combine them if they are really, really short
-- and if so, how
- would a pronunciation guide be a good idea since it's Chinese?

You should have figured out BEFORE you put anything up in the launch pad. That's exactly what Anne said.
These sort of questions belong in the book suggestions forum. That's what I'm saying.

Whether you choose to heed Larry's (or anyone else's advice) in the end or not, honestly I don't care.

What I want is a single post in the launch pad telling me everything I need to know to set this project up properly. I do not want to wade through pages of section lists and titles and back-and-forth discussions of stuff that will not be relevant once I entered the thing in the database and when people start reading. It is not my job as an MC to figure out for or even with the BC where this project is going. When you're HERE, you need to know the main points of it (some of which I have listed above) already.

Would you like to continue the discussion with Larry and / or your thinking over in the book suggestions forum?
Cheers,
Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com

KevinS

Post by KevinS » July 7th, 2019, 5:49 am

Availle wrote:
July 7th, 2019, 5:45 am
Questions like
- Will the full LibriVox disclaimer be required for each section? Most of the poems are rather short.
- I would like the reader to identify the author along with the poem's title. Can that be made clear in the MW?
- how many sections do I need
- can / should I combine them if they are really, really short
-- and if so, how
- would a pronunciation guide be a good idea since it's Chinese?

You should have figured out BEFORE you put anything up in the launch pad. That's exactly what Anne said.
These sort of questions belong in the book suggestions forum. That's what I'm saying.

Whether you choose to heed Larry's (or anyone else's advice) in the end or not, honestly I don't care.

What I want is a single post in the launch pad telling me everything I need to know to set this project up properly. I do not want to wade through pages of section lists and titles and back-and-forth discussions of stuff that will not be relevant once I entered the thing in the database and when people start reading. It is not my job as an MC to figure out for or even with the BC where this project is going. When you're HERE, you need to know the main points of it (some of which I have listed above) already.

Would you like to continue the discussion with Larry and / or your thinking over in the book suggestions forum?
I would suggest you look again at the sequence of events.

As for this project, I don't think that there is interest among the few MCs who are here. I would just as well have it eliminated.
E agora, José?

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » July 7th, 2019, 5:51 am

I honestly don't see what I'm getting wrong?
The first two questions in my compilation above are copy/pasted from your post here:

viewtopic.php?p=1606023#p1606023

It's the second one in the thread.
Cheers,
Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com

KevinS

Post by KevinS » July 7th, 2019, 5:59 am

Availle wrote:
July 7th, 2019, 5:51 am
I honestly don't see what I'm getting wrong?
The first two questions in my compilation above are copy/pasted from your post here:

viewtopic.php?p=1606023#p1606023

It's the second one in the thread.
The first two question, yes, while you added more. The first two questions are quite easy to answer. They are simple yes/no questions that I asked to be clear, as I am relatively new here.

Please don't trouble yourself any further.
E agora, José?

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » July 7th, 2019, 5:59 am

Moving this to Book Suggestions for now, to iron out the wrinkles before launching.

All the advice above is good; please try to take any perceived aggression or negativity out of the reading of it and just go with the bare words. :)
As for this project, I don't think that there is interest among the few MCs who are here. I would just as well have it eliminated.
For the record, I'm full up on MC projects and am trying not to take any more. I'm sure other MCs are in the same position. Others may be hanging back until you decide the details of the project.

Every project gets an MC eventually, even if it takes a few days, unless the BC decides to cancel the project before it gets one. Believe me - if we only took up projects we were interested in, there would be a lot fewer projects launched. ;) MCs definitely take up projects they are not interested in, so that's not a barrier to launching projects.

Anyway - moving this to Book Suggestions for now. You can edit the first post with any amendments. When you've made decisions, let us know and we'll move it back to the Launch Pad for you.
Experiences in the Panama Canal Zone during construction: Zone Policeman 88

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » July 7th, 2019, 7:06 am

If you want a suggestion to how you want to have them read, we have a number either way , I suggest you listen

https://librivox.org/chinese-poetry-by-herbert-allen-giles/ has small poems grouped

https://librivox.org/three-hundred-tang-poems-volume-3-by-various/ has them separately (they are in Chinese, I can't think of another English one but maybe someone else can
And decide which way you prefer, not what Larry or Availle or I prefer
Either is possible

Anne

KevinS

Post by KevinS » July 7th, 2019, 3:24 pm

annise wrote:
July 7th, 2019, 7:06 am
If you want a suggestion to how you want to have them read, we have a number either way , I suggest you listen

https://librivox.org/chinese-poetry-by-herbert-allen-giles/ has small poems grouped

https://librivox.org/three-hundred-tang-poems-volume-3-by-various/ has them separately (they are in Chinese, I can't think of another English one but maybe someone else can
And decide which way you prefer, not what Larry or Availle or I prefer
Either is possible

Anne
My preference has always been what I first suggested. My sense of decorum and politeness, as it is, suggests that I listen to others and consider their thoughts, even if introduced after the fact, so to speak. I can live with a certain amount of flexibility. The real person to be agreeable would be the MC, no? And that does not seem an issue at this point.
E agora, José?

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » July 7th, 2019, 3:39 pm

Moving this back to the Launch Pad, since Kevin made his decision re: number of sections. If I'm not mistaken, this is ready for an MC.

I took the liberty of modifying the intro wording to use the shortened LV poetry disclaimer. Kevin - holler if you have questions about it, or if you want to tweak it. :)

KevinS

Post by KevinS » July 7th, 2019, 3:48 pm

TriciaG wrote:
July 7th, 2019, 3:39 pm
Moving this back to the Launch Pad, since Kevin made his decision re: number of sections. If I'm not mistaken, this is ready for an MC.

I took the liberty of modifying the intro wording to use the shortened LV poetry disclaimer. Kevin - holler if you have questions about it, or if you want to tweak it. :)
Thank you. We'll see if this project goes anywhere. I appreciate your help, greatly, and will hope for an MC who is also moved by the older Chinese verse.

I will provide a pronunciation guide, of sorts, in the thread.

I might add, again, that I am quite willing to do all the recording myself.
E agora, José?

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » July 8th, 2019, 9:32 am

This is set up.

Regarding this:
I would like the reader to identify the author along with the poem's title. Can that be made clear in the MW?
The best thing to do is probably put the poem title and author in the Magic Window section, such as:

The Amazon Corps by Wu Pi
Beauty in Disgrace by Wang Ch'ang-ling
etc.

Regular quote marks don't play well with the cataloging system, so if you want to use quotes, either use a single apostrophe or two apostrophes in a row:
'The Amazon Corps' by Wu Pi or
''The Amazon Corps'' by Wu Pi (this is not "The Amazon Corps" by Wu Pi - " vs '')

KevinS

Post by KevinS » July 8th, 2019, 9:58 am

TriciaG wrote:
July 8th, 2019, 9:32 am
This is set up.

Regarding this:
I would like the reader to identify the author along with the poem's title. Can that be made clear in the MW?
The best thing to do is probably put the poem title and author in the Magic Window section, such as:

The Amazon Corps by Wu Pi
Beauty in Disgrace by Wang Ch'ang-ling
etc.

Regular quote marks don't play well with the cataloging system, so if you want to use quotes, either use a single apostrophe or two apostrophes in a row:
'The Amazon Corps' by Wu Pi or
''The Amazon Corps'' by Wu Pi (this is not "The Amazon Corps" by Wu Pi - " vs '')
Thank you. Will do!
E agora, José?

silverquill

Post by silverquill » July 8th, 2019, 12:49 pm

Good way to set this up.
As I said, I'd by glad to step in as DPL, unless you want to PL these yourself.

KevinS

Post by KevinS » July 8th, 2019, 2:02 pm

silverquill wrote:
July 8th, 2019, 12:49 pm
Good way to set this up.
As I said, I'd by glad to step in as DPL, unless you want to PL these yourself.
Step right up, sir. You are appointed! I will prepare you a comfortable chair and provide you with fortifying drinks.
E agora, José?

silverquill

Post by silverquill » July 8th, 2019, 9:03 pm

Great! Glad to be working with you on this, and so glad to see it brought forth.
So, to start, the Preface and Introduction is PL OK. :)

svonb002

Post by svonb002 » July 8th, 2019, 9:31 pm

Hello. May I claim sections 6, 16, 21, 24, 110, 126, 127, and 180?
~ Stefan V.