(Complete) Children's Short Works, Vol. 029 - m8b1

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
verycherrey

Post by verycherrey »

johnnyenglish wrote: July 4th, 2019, 1:12 pm Mickey Lee Rich...

I really hope that you will persevere with this...

Despite any transitory audio recording artifacts - which a very easily fixed - you have a bewitching voice,
totally captivating.

I look forward to hearing more from you! :D
Thank you Johnny for the kind compliment! I feel like this is a valuable use of free time - I look forward to getting to know on here ;)
A hundred times a day I remind myself that my inner and outer life depend on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that I must exert myself in order to give in the measure as I have received and am still receiving.

-Albert Einstein
verycherrey

Post by verycherrey »

Pandora's Box! (really my first time reading or hearing this story)

File: https://librivox.org/uploads/m8b1/csw029_theparadiseofchildren_128kb.mp3
Title: "The Paradise of Children", From "Myths that every child should know"
Author: unstated
Translator: N/A
Reading URL: https://www.gutenberg.org/files/16537/16537-h/16537-h.htm#CHAPTER_VIII
Length in minutes: 39.49
Reader's Name: Mickey Lee Rich
A hundred times a day I remind myself that my inner and outer life depend on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that I must exert myself in order to give in the measure as I have received and am still receiving.

-Albert Einstein
johnnyenglish

Post by johnnyenglish »

Hello Maria, just to let you know I have uploaded the amended
file. 'The Giant Builder' is now ready for checking!

Track length 17.27
I have absolutely nothing in this world but time - so I believe I should invest it wisely...
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

verycherrey wrote: July 4th, 2019, 11:34 pm Pandora's Box! (really my first time reading or hearing this story)

File: https://librivox.org/uploads/m8b1/csw029_theparadiseofchildren_128kb.mp3
Title: "The Paradise of Children", From "Myths that every child should know"
Author: unstated
Translator: N/A
Reading URL: https://www.gutenberg.org/files/16537/16537-h/16537-h.htm#CHAPTER_VIII
Length in minutes: 39.49
Reader's Name: Mickey Lee Rich
Thank you, Mickey~ I will PL it shortly. :-)
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

johnnyenglish wrote: July 5th, 2019, 3:13 am Hello Maria, just to let you know I have uploaded the amended
file. 'The Giant Builder' is now ready for checking!

Track length 17.27
Thank you, Andrew ~ it is PL OK now!
I really enjoyed reading this, and to my immense gratitude found that there are
three more stories in this arc. (And possibly one more - from a different book.) I have
already read them (silently,) for my own personal pleasure, but would be absolutely delighted
to read them aloud if you think it worthwhile. :wink:
I missed replying to this yesterday, but whatever you would like to record, I would be happy to accept! :-)
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

Moving this over to "Short Works"............
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
johnnyenglish

Post by johnnyenglish »

Lovely Jubbly! :D
I have absolutely nothing in this world but time - so I believe I should invest it wisely...
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

PL Notes for Pandora's Box.

Two issues.

The volume is too quiet again. Not as quite as the first one, but it is at 75.3 DB. As there are some spikes scattered throughout it, you won't be able to do a straight amplify. You will need to de-amplify the spikes and then amplify the entire file.

Also, there is only about 1 second of silence at the end, we need about 10 seconds for files over 30 minutes. Just copy and paste silence at the end and you should be good!

I would recommend either downloading mp3 gain or the checker program to check your volume before you submit files. :-)
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Checker
http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
johnnyenglish

Post by johnnyenglish »

Hello Maria - may I make another suggestion here?

When I tried to download 'mp3 gain' myself - it simply would not work for me. However...

Tovarisch, (Bless his little cotton socks!) suggested a program called 'replaygain', which
can be added as a plug-in directly into Audacity. This is pretty much a 'backup' to 'Checker'.

It is an incredibly useful little tool! (Pretty much does most of the work for you!)

I'm afraid I no longer have the link, but a search should turn it up readily enough! :)
verycherrey

Post by verycherrey »

Okay its louder now.

I'm going to resolve myself to finding how to see dB myself. Thank you Johnnyenglish for the tip!

-Albert Einstein
verycherrey

Post by verycherrey »

The new runtime is 40:03

-Albert Einstein
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

Much better volume, Mickey, but still a tad on the low side. Can you try to get it up a little more?
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

Here is a link on the wiki about replay gain: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Measuring_Volume_within_Audacity

I've never used it myself, so I can't give advice about it. :-)
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
johnnyenglish

Post by johnnyenglish »

Apologies, Maria - I'm just going to barge in again!

Mickey - I am no expert, and it is only through the patient advice of more experienced 'LibriVoxers'
that I have managed to get satisfactory sound levels.

My own initial prob was that Audacity doesn't seem to have dB counter. Hence 'Checker',
a wonderful tool written specifically, (I gather,) for LibriVox.

http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Checker

Just drag 'n' drop your file into the window, and it will tell you what your dB level is.
The simplest option then is to go to Effect/Amplify in Audacity and make the required adjustment.
(If I am incorrect here - I hope that someone better qualified will set the record straight!)

Anyway, I beleive that the 'magic' number is 90 Decibels - although there is a little leeway in either direction! - so
if 'Checker' says that your file is 84 dB, for example...

(You will get a 'Failed' notification, or 'Passed with warnings', or somesuch.)

Go to Effect/Amplify and add 6 dB. (That's a purely ballpark figure, you may need to play around with it a bit,
but once you have made the adjustments - run the amended file through 'Checker' again!)

I myself have had hours of 'fun' trying to get this right! :lol:

Personally, I rely heavily on 'replaygain', so if you need any hints about it, drop me a PM! :wink:
verycherrey

Post by verycherrey »

Andrew thank you for the great description on using Checker. Its a big help.

The file is uploaded: Checker says its 89.2 dB and that its actually 40:3:55 in length.
https://librivox.org/uploads/m8b1/csw029_theparadiseofchildren_128kb.mp3

I'm getting it. I figured out how to use "equalizer" to adjust my mic input so that should help things!

-Albert Einstein