[COMPLETE] Bealby; A Holiday by HG Wells - philc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
cowguy02

Post by cowguy02 »

:D Bealby; A Holiday by H. G. Wells (1866 - 1946).

This project is now in our catalog at https://librivox.org/bealby-a-holiday-by-h-g-wells/
Bealby is the story of the escapade of a thirteen-year-old boy when he rebels against his placement as a steward's-room boy in the great house of an estate named Shonts (his stepfather, Mr. Darling, is a gardener there) and flees—not, however, before thoroughly upsetting a weekend party where the nouveau riche couple renting Shonts is entertaining the Lord Chancellor. Bealby's week-long "holiday" has three phases.

First, he is taken up by three women in caravan, one of whom, Madeleine Philips, is a well-known actress whose beauty inspires in Bealby an adoring infatuation. Miss Philips is also the lover of a Captain Douglas, a guest at Shonts who has been wrongly blamed for wrecking the weekend party there. Captain Douglas believes he must capture Bealby and use his testimony to exonerate himself in the Lord Chancellor's eyes, but when Bealby gets wind of this he flees—not, however, before accidentally wrecking the party's bulky, yellow caravan.

Bealby then falls in with Billy Bridget, an amoral tramp who takes his money and persuades him to abet a burglary. This goes awry, and Bealby runs away. But when he buys a meal in Crayminster he is recognized as a runaway. Bealby escapes, but not before the attempt to catch him has wrought havoc in the town.

Bealby's spirit of revolt is by now thoroughly cowed, and when he chances upon Captain Douglas, who has been looking for him, he offers no resistance. Douglas takes him to London, but through no fault of Bealby's the effort to exonerate the captain in the eyes of the Lord Chancellor fails miserably.

The novel concludes with Captain Douglas renouncing his passion for Madeleine Philips and a contrite Bealby returning to Shonts and telling his mother he is willing to "'ave another go" at a career in domestic service.[1] ( Wikipedia )
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/59769
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

IMPORTANT! As this project has sub chapters please read the heading when you see one. (IE: Subchapter 1, Subchapter 2, ECT.

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ===========================================
      T
      ============================================

Genres for the project: Children's Fiction; Children's Fiction/Family; Children's Fiction/General

Keywords that describe the book:

============================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Chapter [number] of Bealby; A Holiday. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "Bealby; A Holiday, by H. G. Wells. [Chapter]"

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of [Chapter]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of Bealby; A Holiday, by H. G. Wells. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      bealbyaholiday_##_wells_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. bealbyaholiday_01_wells_128kb.mp3)

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
      Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: philchenevert
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by cowguy02 on July 4th, 2019, 9:04 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Projects that need readers
ONLY ONE CHAPTER TO GO!!!!!! Bealby
The life of Harriot Stuart
The Blind Brother[/color]
cowguy02

Post by cowguy02 »

MC and DPL needed! Short book and will be a lot of fun! Was going to be my own DPL but I want to read for it and am pretty busy already. Can't wait to get this one cataloged.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

You still have The Fire Bird by Gene Stratton-Porter on hold from the time of the March cleanup. FYI.

(I'm full up on MC projects, so I won't be MC'ing this.)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
cowguy02

Post by cowguy02 »

TriciaG wrote: June 29th, 2019, 7:04 pm You still have The Fire Bird by Gene Stratton-Porter on hold from the time of the March cleanup. FYI.

(I'm full up on MC projects, so I won't be MC'ing this.)
Hey thanks! I know I can't wait to get started but I was told that I should only have one project by a author at a time open by the person that put that one on hold. So I was waiting to finish freckles until then. But I am VERY excited about it! :D
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

This sounds highly entertaining! I would like to DPL if you want :)
Elsie :9:
Like Sweden and coming of age stories? Read for Pelle the Conqueror
Like travelogues and Anthony Trollope? Read for The West Indies and the Spanish Main
Shadowland: October, 1919
cowguy02

Post by cowguy02 »

ej400 wrote: July 1st, 2019, 11:44 am Just letting you know, we can't use wikipedia for our summaries.
Oof really? I thought that they were pd. I’ll get a new one.
cowguy02

Post by cowguy02 »

elsieselwyn wrote: July 1st, 2019, 11:41 am This sounds highly entertaining! I would like to DPL if you want :)
Sure! Dose that make 3 of my projects now :D
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

cowguy02 wrote: July 1st, 2019, 11:45 am
elsieselwyn wrote: July 1st, 2019, 11:41 am This sounds highly entertaining! I would like to DPL if you want :)
I guess it just shows I like your project choices :lol:
Elsie :9:
Like Sweden and coming of age stories? Read for Pelle the Conqueror
Like travelogues and Anthony Trollope? Read for The West Indies and the Spanish Main
Shadowland: October, 1919
cowguy02

Post by cowguy02 »

elsieselwyn wrote: July 1st, 2019, 11:47 am
cowguy02 wrote: July 1st, 2019, 11:45 am
I guess it just shows I like your project choices :lol:
Well I take that as a huge compliment :lol:

Now all's we need is a MC and some readers :D
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

I will be glad to set this up for you. Hang in there while I fiddle. :D
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

There ya go. I glanced at the text and it looks like there will be some really long chapters. I suggest doing a word count of each chapter and posting it in the notes section so potential readers have an idea of the amount of recording involved.

EDIT: you will want to clarify how you want readers to handle the subdivisions within chapters; whether to say " 2", " 3" or "paragraph 2" etc, or just ignore the numbers entirely.
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Chapter One, please.

And shall we read the sub-chapters? (Is that a thing? You know, where we find '§ 1.')
cowguy02

Post by cowguy02 »

elsieselwyn And philc all on one project :clap: If I could only get Elijah and Campbell on here....

Seriously 2 of my favorite LVers ever. This is going to be a extra fun project,
cowguy02

Post by cowguy02 »

KevinS wrote: July 4th, 2019, 6:44 pm Chapter One, please.

And shall we read the sub-chapters? (Is that a thing? You know, where we find '§ 1.')
Yes please! Just updated the first post to say this.