COMPLETE[ADVENTURE] Ben, the Luggage Boy; or, Among the Wharves by Horatio Alger, Jr. - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Hi! Thank you so much, Pakau, for helping with this book! Three chapters, even. Very generous. :)

Hey, when we upload files, we have to be exact with the file names for them to work properly with the archive system. Could you please re-name your files and upload them again? I will proof-listen them for you before the weekend is over. :)

The file names for this project need to be done like this: (the .mp3 will add itself when you export the audio file to that format)

bentheluggageboy_21_alger,jr._128kb

You can always find the specific way to name files for a particular book buried in the information at the bottom of its first post. I didn't see it, myself, with my first uploads.

The other thing that is needed when we upload files is to note how long they each are. There's no specific way we have to do that part. The way that's easy for me is to post the link to a file I've uploaded like this:

thiswouldbemylinkofuploadthrutoddhw/bentheluggageboy_21_alger,jr._12kb.mp3 (38:14)

I just picked any time number to put in, for illustration purposes. It is showing the minutes and seconds of duration for the file.

So, when you're renaming your files, could you open them to check their end-times, and include that in your post when they're re-uploaded?

Thank you so very much for contributing! I know there's a ton of information and ways of doing things to figure out up front. You've already done the hardest part of the work, though. ;)
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
Seaquill

Post by Seaquill »

I'd like to claim section 14. This would be my first recording. Just my username, Seaquill, is fine if it needs to be cataloged.
Knitnlorie

Post by Knitnlorie »

I'd like to do sections 19 & 20 if they're still available. This will be my first recording. Lorie McClung

Exciting stuff!!!
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you both. Here, in her absence, is a note that Elsie has been using to welcome folks to this project.
Hello! Welcome to Librivox! Sorry for taking so long to respond, I have been very busy with school. First things first:

In order to put your claim officially in the system, I have to put in a name for you to be credited by in the catalog. Do you want to be known by forum username, real name, or a pseudonym?

You'll need to do the 1-minute test before recording the parts you requested. Or, as an alternate, you can use the first 30 seconds or so of this recording as your test. However, I would recommend not to record the whole thing until you’ve gotten the OK on your test recording - that way, if there's something drastically wrong with your setup that requires you to re-do the whole recording, you won't have wasted your time.

Here’s the article explaining the 1 minute test: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=1-Minute_Test

And another article explaining recording in general for new readers: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Newbie_Guide_to_Recording

In the meantime, I’ll save the parts for you for a month (since you’re a newbie and they sometimes disappear)! Don’t hesitate to ask if you still have questions! :D
Thank you, Todd
Knitnlorie

Post by Knitnlorie »

LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Knitnlorie wrote: November 17th, 2019, 11:31 am Here's my first recording!

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/bentheluggageboy_19_alger,jr._128kb_.mp3 (10:26)
Thank you! I will proof-listen for you later today :)
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Knitnlorie wrote: November 17th, 2019, 11:31 am Here's my first recording!

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/bentheluggageboy_19_alger,jr._128kb_.mp3 (10:26)
Nicely done! Thanks so much for helping with this project.

Checker passed and PL OK :thumbs:

The only thing to watch is that the lead silence is the littlest smidge too long. Next time make sure it doesn't go over the 1 second mark. :)

So, hey, this was your very first chapter to submit? Sounds like you had fun recording it!
~Lynette * -
Knitnlorie

Post by Knitnlorie »

Fantastic! Thank You!

I will be more careful with the intro silence lengths.

Oh, yes and yes -- it was my first, and I had a fabulous time of it!
katboopla

Post by katboopla »

hi, may I please claim chapters 15 & 16?
:9:
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Knitnlorie wrote: November 17th, 2019, 7:02 pm Fantastic! Thank You!

I will be more careful with the intro silence lengths.

Oh, yes and yes -- it was my first, and I had a fabulous time of it!
Congratulations! May there be many more.

Thanks, Todd
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

katboopla wrote: November 17th, 2019, 9:49 pm hi, may I please claim chapters 15 & 16?
They are yours - thank you!
~Lynette * -
Seaquill

Post by Seaquill »

I did my recording: <https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/bentheluggageboy_14_alger,jr._128kb_.mp3> (10:51)
Apparently I didn't read the instructions well enough. There was a lot and I missed the part about the one-minute test before recording. Could I use the first 30 seconds of this recording instead? I'll redo if there's a problem. I just noticed an anomaly in my filename (the '_' at the end); I don't know how that happened. Should I resubmit it correctly if the file is approved? Also, should I put this recording in the 'test' MC section as well if its going to be used as my test recording?
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Seaquill wrote: November 21st, 2019, 10:49 am I did my recording: <https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/bentheluggageboy_14_alger,jr._128kb_.mp3> (10:51)
Apparently I didn't read the instructions well enough. There was a lot and I missed the part about the one-minute test before recording. Could I use the first 30 seconds of this recording instead? I'll redo if there's a problem. I just noticed an anomaly in my filename (the '_' at the end); I don't know how that happened. Should I resubmit it correctly if the file is approved? Also, should I put this recording in the 'test' MC section as well if its going to be used as my test recording?
Hi, Seaquill - I well remember how overwhelming all the new information was (and even just navigating the Forums) when I first started!!

I am not an expert, so hopefully Todd will see your question soon and verify that what I'm sharing is OK.

I have seen somebody use a clip from a first recording like this and send that in for the 1-minute test. You can try clipping out 30-40 seconds from this recording file, and export it as its own mp3 file, named test_seaquill

Post it in the place that the 1 minute test page indicates, https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=1-Minute_Test, and somebody will either give you feedback on what to fix, or will give you the OK right off. If that is good to go without making changes, then this file is good, too. Let me know, when you get your test OK back, whether your chapter file here is set up properly, or if you need to change things.

If your test and this file are good to go in terms of technical settings, you can leave the name with the extra underscore as it is, for now. For one thing, you may get PL notes from me and want to do some edits - in which case, when you export the edited recording to mp3, you can fix the name then, and so when you upload your re-do, it will be taken care of. If your file is happy straight off and needs no editing, the MC can change the name when they do the cataloging work. (Am I correct on that part, Todd?)

In any case, don't let the up-front steep learning curve of recording for LibriVox discourage you - it DOES clear up and become easy to get your files properly uploaded! :)
~Lynette * -
Seaquill

Post by Seaquill »

Thank you. I've made my post and I'll get back to you on the results.