COMPLETE[ADVENTURE] Ben, the Luggage Boy; or, Among the Wharves by Horatio Alger, Jr. - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Thank you :)
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
TomHersant

Post by TomHersant »

Greetings,
Here is Chapter 01. Length is 18:11.
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/1_bentheluggageboy_01_alger,jr._128kb_.mp3
Tommy
Blackboards are truly remarkable!
TomHersant

Post by TomHersant »

Howdy,

This young fella is a fun guy. I'd like to read more of his escapades. Might I claim Chapters XV and XVI?

Tommy
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

TomHersant wrote: January 20th, 2020, 12:44 am Howdy,

This young fella is a fun guy. I'd like to read more of his escapades. Might I claim Chapters XV and XVI?

Tommy
Absolutely! And thank you very much. :)

Chapter 1 has a few things that need to be tweaked:
  • Please fix the file name when you export your edited version, so that is doesn't have that leading _1 or the last _
    It should be named bentheluggageboy_01_alger,jr._128kb (the .mp3 will add itself when you export to that file type)
  • At 7:29 - "he said, at the same time mentioning towards it" - should be motioning
  • The opening silence needs to be clipped so that it's between .5-1 second long.
Thanks for your splendid reading! Yes, I agree, he's a fun character. Love your voices for the different people.
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

cowguy02 wrote: August 9th, 2019, 9:11 am
elsieselwyn wrote: August 8th, 2019, 6:43 pm
Thanks!

I just noticed that i uploaded a m4a file instead of mp3. I'll fix it :D feel free to PL it and I can fix any notes before I upload.

Sorry about that :)
Hi, Cowguy,

This project has been adopted to me, so I've been combing through all the older work to see where things still stand. It looks like your chapter 4 never got fully addressed.

As you noted, the file type is not mp3, so it can't be used as it is, but I did listen to it as you'd originally requested so that you could make edits at the time that you re-export to the proper format.

I love the different voices you use for characters!

Chapter 4 edits needed:
  • mp3 format and file name change to bentheluggageboy_04_alger,jr_128kb
  • front silence needs to be trimmed to within .5-1 second (good opportunity to trim out the opening mic bumps)
  • at 2:36 "seeing some vacant seats inside" and clap/clap cue need to be fixed.
  • Volume spikes too much every so often. You'll need to scan the audio file and look for the spots, such as :23, where the sound slams against the top/bottom - highlight the are and do a negative amplification effect to bring it within specs.
  • Decreasing the tempo of the entire file would be a good idea (try -10 on the Tempo effect, which doesn't change the pitch or inflections). The human ear cannot process words nearly as fast as we can speak them when the eyes can't see the words that are being read. Just about every one of us has to train ourselves to read a little slower. :) In the meantime, that Tempo adjusting effect can be mighty handy.
Last edited by LCaulkins on January 30th, 2020, 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Lynette * -
TomHersant

Post by TomHersant »

Herewith is what is humbly intended to be a corrected and improved Section 01. Duration of 18:02.
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/bentheluggageboy_01_alger,jr._128kb_.mp3

Tommy
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
GillH

Post by GillH »

Good afternoon. Willing to take whatever remains of this work to get it finished up.
Is it just Section 14 that's left? THE MW has 15 and 16 too but it looks like they've been claimed, no?
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

You mean Sections 24, 25, and 26, yes? These 3 sections had a reader, but have since been orphaned. Hence are all open.

Thanks, Todd
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

GillH wrote: January 27th, 2020, 8:07 am Good afternoon. Willing to take whatever remains of this work to get it finished up.
Is it just Section 14 that's left? THE MW has 15 and 16 too but it looks like they've been claimed, no?
Hi, GillH!

You are most welcome to help with this project! I want to make sure you meant Ben the Luggage Boy by this offer, as 14 is a completed section. (15 and 16 are probably still taken, I just need to double check those)

However, 20-26 are now all open after this morning's clearing up of claims that people relinquished, or have been out of contact for more than two months. You are welcome to work on those if you like! I would suggest choosing 1-3 to sign into at first, and adding more as you finish. . . unless you are highly dedicated to doing all 7 sections, I am happy to assign them to you. The nice thing about this book is that the chapters aren't long. :)
~Lynette * -
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

TomHersant wrote: January 26th, 2020, 1:36 pm Herewith is what is humbly intended to be a corrected and improved Section 01. Duration of 18:02.

Tommy
hey, Tommy, I sent you a message. No fears, nothing bad. :)
~Lynette * -
GillH

Post by GillH »

ToddHW wrote: January 27th, 2020, 8:57 am You mean Sections 24, 25, and 26, yes? These 3 sections had a reader, but have since been orphaned. Hence are all open.

Thanks, Todd
Great! Thanks. 34 - 36 it is.
:lol:
Just joking! 24, 25, and 26, please.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

GillH wrote: January 27th, 2020, 10:24 am
ToddHW wrote: January 27th, 2020, 8:57 am You mean Sections 24, 25, and 26, yes? These 3 sections had a reader, but have since been orphaned. Hence are all open.

Thanks, Todd
Great! Thanks. 34 - 36 it is.
:lol:
Just joking! 24, 25, and 26, please.
You're in - thank you very much! :)
~Lynette * -
TomHersant

Post by TomHersant »

Lynette, dear saintly Lynette: Please excuse my foundational level of Duffesness in uploading an older file instead of the corrected one. The polite way in which you pointed-out my inattention is noteworthy. Hence that note.

I'm sober now, not that a lack of sobriety contributed to my oversight but I'm trying to put a bit of ego salve on my screwup, and here is the corrected file BUT without the proper naming convention!!! I have renamed the file without that unwanted _ just before the .mp3. It is correct on my desktop. It is correct on the “Get Info” display of the file. It is correct when I select it for the upload. But lo and behold it appears when I upload the file to the server, to wit:

I hope you can fix it at your end. There is a bewitchment at this end.

It is all of 18:02" duration.

Tommy
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Heh! I have done it many times! My record is 4 on the same section. :lol:

And, I'm thinking you gave it a valiant effort on the file name! Maybe Todd knows why it is doing that?

Let's move on to another chapter. :wink:
~Lynette * -