COMPLETE[ADVENTURE] Ben, the Luggage Boy; or, Among the Wharves by Horatio Alger, Jr. - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

ToddHW wrote: October 30th, 2019, 6:05 am Thank you.

Todd
Hi, Todd - is this for the 17/18 submission, or my offer for DPL for this project?
Don't want to step on any toes if somebody else is going to take it. :)
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I have added you as DPL. You should have access to the MW to be able to change PL status on sections from Ready to PL OK, etc, now.

Thanks, Todd
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Super.

Everyone, I will hit all the existing PL-Ready files on this tomorrow when I have my headphones in hand.

8-)
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Hi, Elijah - (I just arrived as the new DPL for this project)

I'm so sorry, but there is a problem with all of these recordings. On each one, there is an electronic/robotic/space-effect sound in the background (sometimes even becoming the foreground). It ranges from being distracting to completely over-riding your reading.

I've listened to some of the files you've uploaded for a couple of other projects, and some of those sounded absolutely fine. Some had this same electronic "something" in them, as well, but nowhere near as severe as in these.

I don't think there's any way to edit the sound out on these files. I believe they need to be redone. Can you check your microphone to see if it has a problem that is creating the electronic interference? Or perhaps there's a game or sound-effect that is bleeding into your readings?

I know it's frustrating to have to rework things! :evil:

Edit for P.S. - When I listen to section 1 through my laptop speakers, your speaking comes out louder against this other noise. However, with headphones, your speaking is obscured too much.
~Lynette * -
ej400

Post by ej400 »

LCaulkins wrote: October 31st, 2019, 6:56 am Hi, Elijah - (I just arrived as the new DPL for this project)

I'm so sorry, but there is a problem with all of these recordings. On each one, there is an electronic/robotic/space-effect sound in the background (sometimes even becoming the foreground). It ranges from being distracting to completely over-riding your reading.

I've listened to some of the files you've uploaded for a couple of other projects, and some of those sounded absolutely fine. Some had this same electronic "something" in them, as well, but nowhere near as severe as in these.

I don't think there's any way to edit the sound out on these files. I believe they need to be redone. Can you check your microphone to see if it has a problem that is creating the electronic interference? Or perhaps there's a game or sound-effect that is bleeding into your readings?

I know it's frustrating to have to rework things! :evil:

Edit for P.S. - When I listen to section 1 through my laptop speakers, your speaking comes out louder against this other noise. However, with headphones, your speaking is obscured too much.
I don't know that they need to be redone, and I know exactly what the noise is. It depends on where I put my microphone when I go to record. If the furnace is on, this noise will appear and I use noise reduction and most of the time it doesn't come out quite like that. This time my mic and everything wasn't in a great spot and the noise came in a bit louder. Noise reduction didn't get all of it. I still think it's bearable, might not go down as my cleanest readings, but I don't think they have to be redone. I can and will see if I can do something about the tin-can sound, but if I can't, and it means redoing the sections, I'm not sure I'd like to keep them because I don't think it's horrible. I'll try and see what I can do.

Thank you
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Section 2 Checker passed and PL OK :clap:
Thanks, Eduard!
~Lynette * -
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

elsieselwyn wrote: August 23rd, 2019, 1:28 pm
Eduard Rochester wrote: August 21st, 2019, 6:44 am Can I record Chapters 7, 8, and 9 also?
Sorry for not responding earlier! Of course, all sections are yours :)
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9

All are Checker passed and PL OK :thumbs:
~Lynette * -
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Eduard Rochester wrote: August 23rd, 2019, 8:20 pm And I'll take Chapters 10, 11, 12, and 13.
Hi, James -

Chapter 10 :thumbs:
Chapter 11 :thumbs:
Chapter 12 :thumbs:
Chapter 13 :thumbs:

All are Checker passed and PL OK :D
~Lynette * -
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Hi! Thank you for helping. :)

Both of these readings are really good. The only thing that needs to be fixed on each one is the empty spaces before and after the reading.

17 and 18 both have too short of an empty lead-in before you start speaking. Your words will get cut off when somebody listens to the book.

They both also have 1-2 extra seconds of silence at the end of the file (longer than the 5 seconds that are needed)

On each files, can you cut .5 to.75 second from the end, and paste that at the front, and then upload the new files?

Thanks! :)
~Lynette * -
shashankjakhmola

Post by shashankjakhmola »

LCaulkins wrote: November 1st, 2019, 1:24 pm
Hi! Thank you for helping. :)

Both of these readings are really good. The only thing that needs to be fixed on each one is the empty spaces before and after the reading.

17 and 18 both have too short of an empty lead-in before you start speaking. Your words will get cut off when somebody listens to the book.

They both also have 1-2 extra seconds of silence at the end of the file (longer than the 5 seconds that are needed)

On each files, can you cut .5 to.75 second from the end, and paste that at the front, and then upload the new files?

Thanks! :)
17 - 12.01 - https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/bentheluggageboy_17_alger,jr._128kb__.mp3
18 - 10.58 - https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/bentheluggageboy_18_alger,jr._128kb__.mp3

hopefully this should work
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

ej400 wrote: October 31st, 2019, 8:57 am
I don't know that they need to be redone, and I know exactly what the noise is. It depends on where I put my microphone when I go to record. If the furnace is on, this noise will appear and I use noise reduction and most of the time it doesn't come out quite like that. This time my mic and everything wasn't in a great spot and the noise came in a bit louder. Noise reduction didn't get all of it. I still think it's bearable, might not go down as my cleanest readings, but I don't think they have to be redone. I can and will see if I can do something about the tin-can sound, but if I can't, and it means redoing the sections, I'm not sure I'd like to keep them because I don't think it's horrible. I'll try and see what I can do.

Thank you
Hi, Elijah,

Have you already seen if the effect can be ameliorated on the files? You have some highly interesting files here! I was curious, when the words were more hearable on laptop speaker versus headphones, and when they don't seem as bad for you (zero snark or disrespect here - this is all fascination), so I asked people in the house yesterday to have a little listen and report their experience.

Our 55yo female neighbor on my headphones says the same thing as my ears - between 1/2 and 2/3 is too obscured to hear the reading.
My 22yo daughter on my headphones says more like 3/4 is obscured.
My 54yo husband on my headphones says what are we talking about, it's a little distracting, but the words are there just fine, on the laptop speakers he says it's probably not even distracting
14yo son of neighbor on my headphones and on his earbuds says "it's there a lot, yeah, can't hear a lot of words behind it"

My daughter and I are, as I said, fascinated. She wonders if there are frequencies in the distortion that act like some "mosquito frequency" she says is out there that kids and teens can hear, but adults cannot, and if it also has some high frequencies that women's ears pick up more than male's ears. I am not a sound techie, so I have no idea. I just know that these files are very difficult to hear the reading on for some of us, but only distracting for others.

I hope this is interesting to you, too.
~Lynette * -
ej400

Post by ej400 »

I have been working on trying to find some noise removal. I notice it, just I think it's horrible. I will keep trying and come back with the new files. I find this interesting as well, though.