COMPLETE[PLAY]Cynthia's Revels by Ben Jonson - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

thanks, Leanne :) excellent job on Moria. She seems to have everything tight in hands in these scenes. ;)

You only missed a few ALL lines scattered throughout. :?

for Act 4:

> at about 4:04: missing ALL line: "Ay. "

> at about 4:30: another ALL line: "Yes, yes."

> at 5:24: "he is a gentleman of a very worthy desert" - this means "merit", so needs to be stressed on the last syllable. (see "to deserve sth")

> at about 6:44: missed ALL line: "Excellent, excellent, Amorphus."

> also the volume is very low at only 81.5 dB. Amplifying it by 7 or 8 dB would be optimal

for Act 5:

> at about 0:05: missed ALL line: "Thanks, good Amorphus."

> at about 0:20: two more ALL lines: "We do." and "Yes."

> volume also too low (only 80 dB): maybe amplify with 8 dB

There were no missed lines in Act 2, although it also only was at 80 dB. Still, I will make a note for Todd and this section can be marked PL ok.

Thank you

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

perfect, now they are all in and PL ok. Thank you, Leanne ! Act 5 is still slightly under 86 dB, but I'll make a note for Todd.

Sonia
ej400

Post by ej400 »

I have already read my lines, and I had a question because I wanted to make sure it was alright to do it. In a line in Act 1, there is a scene where Amorphus drinks water, and so, having a water bottle nearby, I actually drank some water :lol: <laughing> Is it alright that I did that? I made sure there wasn't any plastic crumpling noises, but before I go to edit, do you want me to edit the drinking out? I was just being a little creative, but it's your call of course.

Thanks
Elijah
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I'll take a listen. Probably should be fine - there was a great drinking scene in the recent Ben Jonson and gulping fit perfectly (enabling me to cut a number of then redundant "drinks" stage directions).

Thanks, Todd
bluechien

Post by bluechien »

For Cupid, would I read Pages and All, or just Pages? :hmm:
Eva D
If we do meet again, why, we shall smile;
If not, why then, this parting was well made.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

You read "All" if Cupid is onstage. When in doubt, record - I can cut if I get smarter about the play when I edit....

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ej400 wrote: June 26th, 2019, 8:42 amHere is Amorphus:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cynthiasrevels_amorphus_1_128kb.mp3 -14:09
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cynthiasrevels_amorphus_2_128kb.mp3 -5:23
In Act 1, the drinking scene begins at 1:25
:shock: pheeeew, Amorphus has a huge role !!! This will take me a while, because it's a lot to listen to (and correct ;) ) On the whole, well done so far, Elijah (I only listened to acts 1 and 2). The drinking works very well I think and can be left in in my opinion. It will make it all more lively.

One technical note right from the start: for all your sections the sample rate is wrong. It needs to be 44,100 Hz (you have 32,000) Please check you settings (do you use Audacity ?) I remember in Every Man it was correct, so you must have done some manual tweaking to change that since then. :hmm:

Do not reupload Acts 3-5 yet since I haven't checked them yet. But here are already the PL notes for 1 and 2:

Act 1:

> at 3:33: “No, Crites! why?“ – can be cut, this is Asotus speaking

> at 8:00: “or the provident painting of his posts” – you say “providing” which doesn’t make sense here

> at 9:02: stumble here: “I have not seen a young gentleman – you say “seen… [pause]… not”

> at 10:11: “your travel is your only thing that rectifies“ – I hear “recitifies” which is not a word, I think

> at 10:34: “my intelligence shall quit my charge at all time” – you forgot “my”

> at 12:28: “shall I say to you for that hat” – there is a disturbing background rustling over the speech, I would suggest redoing this sentence

> at 13:56: “conceal your quality” – I hear “equality”

Act 2:

> at 0:01: “Come, sir. You are now within regard of the presence, and see, the privacy of this room how sweetly it offers itself to our retired intendments.—Page, cast a vigilant and enquiring eye about, that we be not rudely surprised by the approach of some ruder stranger.” – there is a lot of crackling in this part, I would suggest re-recording

> at 1:36: “The third is your soldier's face” – you say “scholar

> at 1:54: “and intricate face” – you say “intrisic

> at 2:13: “and supercilious face” – you say “superlicious”. I don’t think that’s a word ;)

> at 2:52: stumble: “oblique face” – not comprehensible this way, would suggest re-recording this part

> at 5:20: “or sirrah” – disagreeable rustling at the end

> and don't forget to change the sample rate ;)

As mentioned previously in Every Man, please only make spot corrections on those sentences, no point in re-recording the whole, this would really be too much work (for both of us)

Thanks, will try to check some more soon

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

sorry it takes longer than expected this time...took me one hour to listen and write up my notes on these two acts... and the longest act is yet to come :? I cannot promise that I finish it today, but if not, then tomorrow first thing.

First of all: thank you for including all the ALL lines !!! bonus points for that one. ;) I think you are the first who remembered to include them. 8-)

Other than that, I do have several PL notes though. Often it's because of background noise, rustling, speaking, thumping. I wonder what is going on there. :shock: In any case, it would really be better to re-do those lines. I mentioned only those where the noise is really disturbing a lot.

Act 3:

> change sample rate to 44,100

> at 1:31: “a dish of sliced caviar” – you say “cavarice

> at 3:17: “No matter, let it come lame. In ordinary talk you shall play it away, as you do your light crowns at primero: it will pass. – disturbing background noise over speech, would benefit from re-recording

> at 5:41: “And remember, as I inculcated to you before, for your comfort, Hedon and Anaides. – also here, disturbing background noise

> at 6:09: “Tailor; bestow thy absence upon us;” – background noise, also you say “ambence” instead of “absence”

> at 7:27: “or by what other title you please to remember her – some loud rustling noise all of a sudden. Are you reading this from off a paper ? Careful when you move it, the mic picks up everything ;)

> at 12:20: “O, that piece was excellent! If you could pick out more of these play-particles, and, as occasion shall salute you, embroider or damask your discourse with them”, persuade your soul, it would most judiciously commend you. Come, this was a well-discharged and auspicious bout. Prove the second.” – lots of background noise again rustling, thumping etc, I was wondering what was happening here ;) I would re-do those lines. Also you say “dismask” instead of “damask”

Act 4:

> at 2:42: “most fortunately etymologised” – you say “entymologised”

> at 3:14: “I do wonder at their protraction.” – people speaking in the background

> at 3:27: “But here is an instrument that alone is able to infuse soul into the most melancholic and dull-disposed creature upon earth. O, let me kiss thy fair knees.” – also here I hear some disturbing thumping in the middle. Are my ears too sensitive, didn’t you hear it in the editing phase ? :?

> at 3:50: stumbling makes this part incomprehensible: “your long die-note did arride me most”

> at 5:09: now this made me laugh :lol: you jumped a line here and that made the sentence very funny (underlined part is omitted) : “and sister to the king of Arragon, who having never before eyed me, but only heard the common report of my virtue, learning, and travel, fell into that extremity of passion for my love”

> at 6:45: “The pure rosy hand, that wear thee” – you omitted “thee” which would be nice to have here to preserve metre and ryhme of the poem

> at 9:34: “And there's her minion, Crites: why his advice more than Amorphus? Have I not invention afore him? Learning to better that invention above him? and infanted with pleasant travel” – many rustlings and thumps in here as well

> at 9:56: “contain yourself” – some sort of clapping noise

> at 10:46: “and in the long gallery” – you say “gallantry

> at 10:59: “viz.” – you say “or in other words” – viz is a common abbreviation that can be used, much like “etc” or “e.g.” No need to paraphrase what the author wrote here

That's all for now, I need some rest ;)

Sonia
ej400

Post by ej400 »

:shock: I was really thinking I'd get some PL OK's, but then thought I probably wouldn't. Some of these were just tongue twisters, as it's already a little hard reading the writing of the past. Additionally, this play is so darn confusing! :lol: <laughing>

The background noise was because I was reading from papers, that way I can find my lines easier off gutenberg, and have an hour of silence looking for my next line. I know, I know, it's an extra step.

I'm going to try and redo the PL notes using my mp3, this way it doesn't sound like Everyman where Sogliardo has a serious voice problem :lol: <laughing>
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ej400 wrote: June 27th, 2019, 5:48 am:shock: I was really thinking I'd get some PL OK's, but then thought I probably wouldn't. Some of these were just tongue twisters, as it's already a little hard reading the writing of the past. Additionally, this play is so darn confusing! :lol: <laughing>
I know, it's not the easiest play and the English is quite antiquated. (but hey, you chose this huge role ;) )
The background noise was because I was reading from papers, that way I can find my lines easier off gutenberg, and have an hour of silence looking for my next line. I know, I know, it's an extra step.
I don't mind the print-out (although for such huge parts, it's a waste of paper :? ) but it would be good if you could be careful not to turn pages while you record your lines. As you say yourself, if you wish you can take an hour to record, so a few extra seconds of silence while you rustle with the paper can easily be cut out. But not if the rustling appears in the spoken text.
I'm going to try and redo the PL notes using my mp3, this way it doesn't sound like Everyman where Sogliardo has a serious voice problem :lol: <laughing>
it's always best to re-record one entire sentence, or part of a sentence, that way you can easier adjust the volume and sound. Always listen to what you recorded before and try to train your voice to say it the exact same way (without the error of course :mrgreen: )

Ok and I finally also finished the final act...and there are many notes here as well, sorry about that. Your editing phase should have caught many of these already, so I was wondering. Do you listen in a noisy room, maybe on the loudspeakers ? I listen on earphones, and maybe it would be a good advice to edit with earphones as well, you may catch the noise better there.

So final notes. Here it would really be advisable to start from the end, so the time-stamps stay the same, otherwise you will not find anything back again. Also it would be helpful if you could give me the new time-stamps, to make the Spot PL easier. In such a big section, I am grateful for all the help I can get.

Act 5:

> at 0:01: “nay but intend me” – thump in the final part

> at 0:37: “I confess you to be of an apted and docible humour“ – you say “doctible

> at 0:49: “intrinsecate” – you say “intristicrate”

> at 3:51: “It is a strange outrecuidance” – you say something like “outreanduance” – I was wondering whether you are reading from the Gutenberg source. The “cu” could well become an “an” in an OCR typo. Maybe that explain such similar errors here

> at 4:43: “and withal stepping off, fall on his bosom” – rustling again

> at 5:42: “Enter none but the ladies and their hang-byes.” – you say “either

> at about 5:47: missed line: “Welcome beauties, and your kind shadows.

> at 6:53: “they are here properly accommodate to the nuptials of my scholar's 'haviour to the lady Courtship” – here’s a textual misunderstanding. You say “having” but this is actually the abbreviation of “behaviour”, so you say it like “behaviour” without the “be”. It means the “scholar’s behaviour”, so no pause between these two words would make the meaning clearer

> at 7:03: “Madame Phantaste” – you say “Fast Taste” :lol: , now this really made me smirk. A case of Freudian slip ? ;)

> from 7:30-8:17: from “so keep up your ruff” till “Ulysses-Polytropus” all this can be cut out, as you are repeating it all once again after this. BTW the second version is really much more fluent, and the extremely difficult names came out excellently. Kudos for that performance. I liked it very much :thumbs:

> at 9:17: “viz. the bare accost;” – also here, please retain “viz” instead of “or in other words”

> at 9:36: “by the help of his mercer, tailor, milliner, sempster, and so forth” – “mincer” instead of “mercer” and “sepcer” instead of “sempster”

> at 9:57: “viz. For the Bare Accost” – also here, say “viz” please

> at 10:21: “appearath no man yet” – you say “apparent

> at 15:04: “I do accept him” – you say “do not”, which is the opposite

> at 15:13-15:18: between “prepare yourself sir” and “challenge me”, you can cut out the long break, it’s all in an uninterrupted speech block

> at 16:01: “I would not wish you a weaker.—Sound, musics.” – two clicks could be cut out

> at 16:14: “The second bout, to conclude this weapon.” – same clicks here, maybe a loose cable ?

> at 16:23: “Judges, award the prize.” – again clicks

> at 17:07: “shall never pass their deities unadored” – you say “unardored” if I’m not mistaken, maybe you could check this

> at 17:28-18:01: optional ! “"Signora, ho tanto obligo per le favore resciuto da lei; che veramente desidero con tutto il core, a remunerarla in parte: e sicurative, signora mea cara, che io sera sempre pronto a servirla, e honorarla. Bascio le mane de vo' signoria." – you mixed some Spanish rules in here (this is Italian). Do you want me to do you a soundfile to correct some spots or do you want to keep it that way ? I know Todd won’t care so much for accuracy in foreign languages, especially because maybe Amorphus is not so fluent in them either LOL I just wanted to give you the option whether you wanted it correct or not. Your choice here. In most of the words you were quite near accuracy, it’s only a few that are wrong

> at about 18:04: two missed quotes: “You become the simper well, lady.” and “Now, to our "Solemn Address. Please the well-graced Philautia to relieve the lady sentinel; she hath stood long.”

> at 19:54: stumble: “Stay, what are the ingredients to your fucus?”

> at 20:05: “lay it on” - loud clap here, which nearly gave me a heart-attack :help:

> at 21:20: “in all civil and humane courtesy.” – paper rustling at the end, also you say “human” instead of “humane”, which is a difference in meaning

> at 23:57 and at 24:06: repeat of: “Forgive it now: it was the solecism of my stars.” – you can cut out one of the versions and leave the one you like best

> at 26:05: “From 'squiring to tilt yards” – you say “squirting”

> at 26:18: “From belying ladies' favours” – you say “bellying”, but it’s be-lying (=contradicting)

And that concludes the PL notes...now I definitely need some food. :mrgreen:

Sonia
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Ahhhh, I starting to think I sent in the non corrected files... since you did mention some clapping awhile ago, and the clicks.

There's so many PL notes... :( <sadface> I almost want to try again because it would almost take longer to correct these, than to just redo the whole thing. I don't even think I checked these over, if I did edit them. But you'd prefer I just redo the certain lines. I'm confused as to why there's so many notes, that's all.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ej400 wrote: June 27th, 2019, 8:10 amThere's so many PL notes... :( <sadface> I almost want to try again because it would almost take longer to correct these, than to just redo the whole thing.
no that's not a good idea, because it may look like a lot, but the whole thing was 26 minutes ! These corrections are barely 5 minutes all. It will not take longer to correct than to do it all again. Not for you, and not for me to check everything again. And the risk of getting different PL notes in different spots is high.
I don't even think I checked these over, if I did edit them. But you'd prefer I just redo the certain lines. I'm confused as to why there's so many notes, that's all.
you know maybe you did send in an unedited file. That would be a reason why you didn't catch so many background noises. Because they were quite obvious to me, I can't really imagine that you couldn't hear them if you had edited. :?

Good news is, you have time, the project is not near completion yet. I would suggest, don't do it all in one go, just relax, take the first act and do spot corrections, try to get them as best you can. Then upload the file and I check again while you take a break. Once the first act is all clear, you can go ahead with the second and so on. Easy does it, and we will be finished eventually. :)

Sonia