COMPLETE[PLAY]Cynthia's Revels by Ben Jonson - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Mercury recorded - must edit before upload. My, he is a long winded character. For someone named after a small planet, he certainly talks a lot!

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: August 17th, 2019, 8:29 amMercury recorded - must edit before upload. My, he is a long winded character. For someone named after a small planet, he certainly talks a lot!
from Wikipedia (underlined by yours truly): "He is the god of financial gain, commerce, eloquence, messages, communication, travelers, boundaries, luck, trickery and thieves"

Still surprised ? :mrgreen:

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Yup, lottsa talk. Mercury is now in the MW for PL.

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: August 17th, 2019, 6:12 pmMercury is now in the MW for PL.
:shock: wow indeed that final act was a huge undertaking ! You rendered his witty, a bis nasty, streak quite well, Todd. I loved the whole performance. :thumbs: I'm looking forward to hearing the dialogue with Echo assembled. I hope the part where I echo your last words comes out quite believably.

Act 4 is straight-away PL ok but for the other three acts I have a few suggestions.

for Act 1:

> at 2:44: "to vent thy passion for Narcissus' death - you say "in", but she actually cried because he was dead. The way you say it sounds as if she had killed him :?

for Act 2:

> at 1:06: "I dare not affirm to be any thing less than a courtier" - you say "living", sounds a bit strange, but could be optional, as the meaning is preserved somehow

> at 4:07: "Gelaia" - I hear "Galiana"

for Act 5:

> at 3:18: Je ne sais qui de dire" - this "scay" is an old spelling, but the 'c' is not pronounced. "say ki" would be more correct, but optional. All in all your French was very good :thumbs:

> at 14:34: "as duly respecting others" - you say "representing

> at 19:52-21:04: I am so sorry but the epilogue was already assigned and done by Alan, so this part you could have left out entirely :(

In any case, great performance and a high level of accuracy. Also thanks for not forgetting any of the ALL lines 8-)

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

All changes you suggest have been made and uploaded for Spot PL.
Kitty wrote: August 18th, 2019, 4:51 am All in all your French was very good :thumbs:
"All in all"? I can hear the dripping sarcasm and wincing condescension along with your Kitty-ish kindness and the pity of a talented multi-lingual for a poor monolingual. Fortunately it is over with quickly. And unlike in the recent Pinero book, at least I did try to read this: I thought of crepes and berets and smoke filled cafes while I read it like English...

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: August 18th, 2019, 5:25 am"All in all"? I can hear the dripping sarcasm and wincing condescension along with your Kitty-ish kindness and the pity of a talented multi-lingual for a poor monolingual.
oh NO !!! here I have to defend my honour. This was not sarcastic, I meant it honestly. I always listen to such foreign excerpts without reading along with the text first, and if I understand what you said, then I think you conveyed it very nicely. With words that I have to look up in the text to get the meaning I ponder whether it's worth mentioning them.

You should have a higher opinion of your language capabilities ;)

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

You have defended your honor well, and I apologize for my exceptionally low opinion of my French. Pardon, excusez-moi. (Insert smilie of crepe, beret, and smoke filled cafe!)

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: August 18th, 2019, 6:14 am(Insert smilie of crepe, beret, and smoke filled cafe!)
we should ask Phil if he has such a smilie 8-)

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: August 18th, 2019, 5:25 amAll changes you suggest have been made and uploaded for Spot PL.
oops I almost missed this in my rush to defend my honour :lol:

Excellent patches and now all of mercurial Mercury is PL ok.

thanks

Sonia
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

My Asotus files:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cynthiasrevels_asotus_1_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cynthiasrevels_asotus_2_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cynthiasrevels_asotus_3_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cynthiasrevels_asotus_4_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cynthiasrevels_asotus_5_128kb.mp3

I took the time to read the complete play before I started, as it has been too many years since my first reading for me to remember much. In fact, all I recalled was the children's introduction to the play. Now that I have read it again, I perceived Asotus as a foolish gullible man, in the same vein as Sir Andrew in "Twelfth Night," so I read it accordingly.

A couple of notes. Firstly, near the end of Act Three in the middle of one speech, Asotus says, "Lan, tede, de, de, de, dant, dant, dant, dante," before a stage direction that reads, "Sings and dances." Obviously, I had to sing it, and I consulted a recent (2012) annotated edition of the works of Jonson which had this note: "Imitative of singing. Asotus imagines music starting up in the background, as his cue to ask the ladies to dance." I therefore tried to make it sound like the introductory notes to a piece of music, and I hope it worked.
(While I have this edition out from the library, let me know if you want its opinion on any other point! lol)

In Act Four, there is a single word, "Ay" which is to be spoken by "ALL." On the assumption that that includes Asotus, I said it. If it does not include him, it can, of course, be ignored by the editor.

Brad
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hamlet wrote: August 18th, 2019, 4:47 pmI perceived Asotus as a foolish gullible man, in the same vein as Sir Andrew in "Twelfth Night," so I read it accordingly.
I was Sir Andrew in Twelfth Night :mrgreen: I loved making him very foolish. It was mayhem at some points.

And yes you did your Asotus very to the point as well. In the beginning he was going on my nerves, saying "Sir" in every half-sentence :lol: But there is a more egoistical streak about him as well, abusing poor Argurion's feelings and money so. (seeing that I am Argurion I must say: --> :evil: )
near the end of Act Three in the middle of one speech, Asotus says, "Lan, tede, de, de, de, dant, dant, dant, dante," before a stage direction that reads, "Sings and dances." Obviously, I had to sing it
it sounds absolutely great :thumbs: I think this is how it would be performed on stage, probably he was doing a few tap-dancing steps as well.
In Act Four, there is a single word, "Ay" which is to be spoken by "ALL." On the assumption that that includes Asotus, I said it. If it does not include him, it can, of course, be ignored by the editor.
yes in fact there are a few more ALL lines that you missed and where I think Asotus is part of the crowd as well. I always check who is on stage when during the ALL lines, it's always quite some logistics to deal with. I'll point them out to you below.

Acts 2 and 3 are already PL ok.

PL notes for Act 1:

> at 0:14: "What say you to your Helicon?" - this is Amorphus speaking, can be cut

PL notes for Act 4:

> at about 2:22: missing ALL line: "Yes, yes."

> at about 7:10: missing ALL line: "Excellent, excellent, Amorphus."

> at about 8:06: missed line: "Sirrah, a torch, a torch!"

PL notes for Act 5:

> at 1:54: "an there come e'er a citizen gentlewoman in my name" - you say "certain", but this is an optional edit, I would say. Up to you

> at about 4:38: two missed lines: "O that I had played at this weapon." and "If I had done't, it should have been better."

> at about 5:02: two missed ALL lines: "We do." and "Yes."

thanks for the great performance, Brad :)

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ej400 wrote: August 19th, 2019, 6:01 am Sorry it's been taking so long. Here is corrected file 1: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cynthiasrevels_amorphus_1_128kb.mp3
I'll have the other ones coming shortly
thank you, Elijah, I'm happy that you found the time for the corrections and good thing you upload as you have finished one act. The edits are all correct now, but you need to check your technical settings :?

> the sample rate is still wrong with 32,000 Hz instead of 44,100. Do you know where to change it ? If not I can give you a step-by-step if you use Audacity

> now also the bitrate has changed to variable. :hmm: can you change it back to 128 kbps constant please ? You may have changed it when you tried to change the sample rate

Nothing to change in the text anymore, just reupload with correct sample and bitrate. And you might also check all your other recordings you were doing lately. They all may be wrong now :| Once you have them set in Audacity, usually it should be saved unless you manually change them again.

Sonia
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Kitty wrote: August 19th, 2019, 6:15 am
ej400 wrote: August 19th, 2019, 6:01 am Sorry it's been taking so long. Here is corrected file 1: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cynthiasrevels_amorphus_1_128kb.mp3
I'll have the other ones coming shortly
thank you, Elijah, I'm happy that you found the time for the corrections and good thing you upload as you have finished one act. The edits are all correct now, but you need to check your technical settings :?

> the sample rate is still wrong with 32,000 Hz instead of 44,100. Do you know where to change it ? If not I can give you a step-by-step if you use Audacity

> now also the bitrate has changed to variable. :hmm: can you change it back to 128 kbps constant please ? You may have changed it when you tried to change the sample rate

Nothing to change in the text anymore, just reupload with correct sample and bitrate. And you might also check all your other recordings you were doing lately. They all may be wrong now :| Once you have them set in Audacity, usually it should be saved unless you manually change them again.

Sonia
Oh shoot! Odd though, I was pretty sure I changed the sampling rate. Maybe I changed the bitrate instead? :hmm: