COMPLETE[PLAY]Cynthia's Revels by Ben Jonson - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ej400 wrote: September 9th, 2019, 7:38 am Here is Amorphus 4:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cynthiasrevels_amorphus_4_128kb.mp3
thank you, Elijah, most of this sounds much better already, still I have a few more notes on your corrections (sorry about that):

> the sample rate is still 32,00 and needs to be changed to 44,100

> at 5:11-5:17: and sister to the king of Arragon, who having never before eyed me, but only heard the common report of my virtue, learning, and travel, fell into that extremity of passion for my love - the part you included now is much softer in volume, could you maybe adjust this a little bit, so it sounds more similar

> at 6:52: The pure rosy hand, that wear thee” – "thee" is still missing

> at 9:41: "why his advice more than Amorphus?" - there is a jump in "advice" which makes the word incomprehensible. I would re-record this entire sentence

> at 9:47: "Learning to better that invention above him?" - also here, a jump in "to better", one cannot understand it anymore. Did you maybe try to cut out the thumps ? I think that was impossible without maiming the words (obviously). It would be better to re-record the whole sentence. The thumps were inside the words, so it's not possible to make a clean cut job. It's much faster to re-record than try to fiddle with it

> at 10:50: "and in the long gallery" - sorry this time I hear "laundry" :?

Almost there !

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Maybe they were in the laundry room :mrgreen:

Yeah, I tried cutting out the noises but apparently they didn't meet what your ears wanted. I thought it sounded half decent, but I'll try for better.

Thank you Sonia!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ej400 wrote: September 9th, 2019, 11:23 amI thought it sounded half decent, but I'll try for better.
I think maybe you knew what the maimed word was and were expecting it, that's why it sounded correct to your ears, but put yourself in the shoes of a listener who doesn't know what is coming. Often one whole syllable missing in a word can be crucial for the understanding.

Sonia
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Kitty wrote: September 10th, 2019, 3:34 am
ej400 wrote: September 9th, 2019, 11:23 amI thought it sounded half decent, but I'll try for better.
I think maybe you knew what the maimed word was and were expecting it, that's why it sounded correct to your ears, but put yourself in the shoes of a listener who doesn't know what is coming. Often one whole syllable missing in a word can be crucial for the understanding.

Sonia
True. I didn't think about that. I remember one time when I was listening to a play you and Todd did, and I couldn't really understand the reader well because of the accent. Nothing against accents, I liked the accent, just some words I wouldn't really know what they were without following the text. And so there's people who don't follow along with the text so I need to make it clear. :thumbs: Thank you Sonia!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ej400 wrote: September 10th, 2019, 8:15 amI remember one time when I was listening to a play you and Todd did, and I couldn't really understand the reader well because of the accent. Nothing against accents, I liked the accent, just some words I wouldn't really know what they were without following the text.
yes, you could say in a way that is a similar problem.

Sonia
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Here is Crites Act I

Pardon my poor Latin :roll:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cynthiasrevels_crites_1_128kb.mp3 6:05
~ Larry
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

silverquill wrote: September 10th, 2019, 8:59 am Here is Crites Act I
Pardon my poor Latin :roll:
your Latin is good ! And anyway, who says Crites was so fluent in Latin ? :lol: I love your slightly mocking tone all throughout the performance, it feels like you have a grin on your face all the time. Very nice touch. Loved it !

Only found one tiny mistake which I think changes the meaning a bit:

> at 0:29: "O, the Muses' well! that's ever excepted." - you say "expected"

the rest is perfect. Looking forward to the next act :)

thank you

Sonia
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

~ Larry
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

silverquill wrote: September 10th, 2019, 10:22 pmOkay, here is Crites Act III
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cynthiasrevels_crites_3_128kb.mp3 6:49
thank you again. This guys loves his monologues :shock:

I found a few discrepancies with the text here and as I am a bit unsure what he really wants to say with all this :lol: I better mention them, I think some of them definitely change the meaning, so would benefit from correcting:

> at 0:14: “what lean idle slights their thoughts suggest to flatter their starv'd hopes!” – you say “thoughts” (twice)

> at 0:19: “As if I knew not how to entertain these straw-devices – you forgot “not”

> at 1:48: “the same affects that he doth bear to his sick patient” – you say “the same affects that doth bear his sick patient”

> at 2:39-2:42: between “Was made the food to my distasted sense” and “Nor can my weak imperfect memory” – you can cut out the long pause, it’s the same speech block

> at 5:50-5:52: between “Then must the ladies laugh, straight comes their scene” and “A sixth times worse confusion then the rest” – again pause can get cut, same chunk

> at 5:53: “A sixth times worse confusion then the rest” – you say “a sixth comes

> at 6:08: stumble “that you would think of a” – can get cut

thank you, Larry :)

Sonia
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

To help move this along may I claim Prosaites in acts 1,2 & 4 and Hesperus in act 5.
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

alanmapstone wrote: September 14th, 2019, 9:32 am To help move this along may I claim Prosaites in acts 1,2 & 4 and Hesperus in act 5.
thank you, Alan. I think, prologue and epilogue are sort of "apart", so it's perfectly fine that you also participate in the acts. 8-)

I'll sign you up. Have fun !

Sonia
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Kitty wrote: September 14th, 2019, 9:48 am
alanmapstone wrote: September 14th, 2019, 9:32 am To help move this along may I claim Prosaites in acts 1,2 & 4 and Hesperus in act 5.
thank you, Alan. I think, prologue and epilogue are sort of "apart", so it's perfectly fine that you also participate in the acts. 8-)
These are such small parts it will hardly notice
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Here are the corrections for Crites Acts I and II.
I thought I'd get three done, but has to pick up some extra duties at work this week.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cynthiasrevels_crites_1_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cynthiasrevels_crites_3_128kb.mp3
~ Larry
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

silverquill wrote: September 14th, 2019, 6:34 pm Here are the corrections for Crites Acts I and II.
thank you, Larry, brilliant patches :thumbs: both PL ok now

Sonia