COMPLETE[PLAY]Monsieur De Pourceaugnac by Molière - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

so, Todd, here is my Nérine :mrgreen: I had mega fun doing this accent. I tried to go on the phonetics, which ended me up in a mix of faux-Scottish and a bit of Cockney I guess :lol: Please let me know if it is incomprehensible, then I'll redo it all.

And concerning your pious wish in the first post: "Let us hope not too many of us actually have to pronounce it....", I struck gold here: in my first lengthy monologue in Act 1 I had to say Pourceaugnac no less than SEVEN times :lol: So if anyone wants to hear it, listen to 0:25-1:43, there you'll be spoilt for examples.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/monsieurdepourceaugnac_nerine_1_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 2:37 min.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/monsieurdepourceaugnac_nerine_2_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 2:23 min.

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you. Will listen shortly.

And if there was one person that I thought could pronounce Pourceaugnac correctly seven times, it would be you!

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: June 13th, 2019, 11:40 amAnd if there was one person that I thought could pronounce Pourceaugnac correctly seven times, it would be you!
thanks for your undying trust :) and I took great care to put in a different degree of contempt into my voice, each time I say the name :lol:

Sonia
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

I'll claim Eraste.
Leanne (leanneyauyau) :9:
my librivox page | website | fb page
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

leanneyauyau wrote: June 14th, 2019, 1:16 am I'll claim Eraste.
not the lawyer this time ? :mrgreen: all right, I'll sign you up, thank you, Leanne ?

Sonia
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

Kitty wrote: June 14th, 2019, 2:29 am
leanneyauyau wrote: June 14th, 2019, 1:16 am I'll claim Eraste.
not the lawyer this time ? :mrgreen: all right, I'll sign you up, thank you, Leanne ?

Sonia

Hahahahah....I was tempted!
Leanne (leanneyauyau) :9:
my librivox page | website | fb page
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

leanneyauyau wrote: June 14th, 2019, 2:32 am Hahahahah....I was tempted!
you're right, better not be typecasted ;)

Sonia
fsurget

Post by fsurget »

Hello Molière fans !

Here's the Apothecary... I hope you'll have as much fun listening to as I had recording it...

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/pourceaugnac_anapothecary_01_128kb.mp3
Duration : 3:36

Hope to "see" you all again soon !

Frédéric
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Kitty wrote: June 13th, 2019, 11:35 am so, Todd, here is my Nérine :mrgreen: I had mega fun doing this accent. I tried to go on the phonetics, which ended me up in a mix of faux-Scottish and a bit of Cockney I guess :lol: Please let me know if it is incomprehensible, then I'll redo it all.

And concerning your pious wish in the first post: "Let us hope not too many of us actually have to pronounce it....", I struck gold here: in my first lengthy monologue in Act 1 I had to say Pourceaugnac no less than SEVEN times :lol: So if anyone wants to hear it, listen to 0:25-1:43, there you'll be spoilt for examples.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/monsieurdepourceaugnac_nerine_1_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 2:37 min.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/monsieurdepourceaugnac_nerine_2_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 2:23 min.

Sonia
Act 1 - some optional things
0:33, 1:11, 1:40 - Um, shouldn't "Mr" be "Monsieur" like the title of the play rather than "Mister"? (If so, I'll put a BIG note at the start of the play for everyone.)
1:22 - What then would "Mrs" be instead of "Misses"? "Madam?

Act 2 PL OK already - love the accent!

Thanks, Todd
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

ToddHW wrote: June 14th, 2019, 11:23 am 1:22 - What then would "Mrs" be instead of "Misses"? "Madam?
You could use "Mistress," as I'm doing in The Drummer. I don't know how well it would suit, though. I haven't done more than skim this yet.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: June 14th, 2019, 11:23 am 0:33, 1:11, 1:40 - Um, shouldn't "Mr" be "Monsieur" like the title of the play rather than "Mister"? (If so, I'll put a BIG note at the start of the play for everyone.)
1:22 - What then would "Mrs" be instead of "Misses"? "Madam?
I was also pondering about this. Normally I would have said Monsieur and Madame in a Molière play, but here it was written as Mr. and Mrs. which is the English abbreviation, so I switched to that. But I can redo it easily and do it the French way if you prefer. As I said, I was torn between the two options. Maybe I should have done both immediately.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

fsurget wrote: June 14th, 2019, 10:15 amHere's the Apothecary... I hope you'll have as much fun listening to as I had recording it...
this was absolutely hi-la-ri-ous :lol: :lol: I already had to laugh when I heard your tone of voice in the first sentence. It's a brilliant sycophantic impersonation. Gotta love Molière when he makes fun of doctors :mrgreen: Quite some nasty moments in there, when he is so proud that his children died fast :? Irony employed to the utmost.

Excellent job, Frédéric :thumbs: Totally PL ok.

Only one word of caution for future recordings...the final two sentences are much louder than the rest, and unfortunately they even clipped a bit. Clipping occurs when it's too loud, then the "spikes" get cut off. If it happens over a long period of time, the sound can get distorted, so we try to avoid it at all costs. If you use Audacity, you can easily "see" the clippings with long red spikes. You have to go to "View" and tick the box for "Show clipping". As soon as you see red lines, it's best to re-record the sentence (with a less loud voice ;) )

No need to redo it this time though, the sound is not distorted.

Thanks

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Todd: I will re-record the sentences tomorrow with Monsieur and Madame and then I let you choose. I hope I get my same tone of voice again, I really liked this tirade :lol:

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I too liked the tirade.

Is there much more Mr and Mrs in the play? - enough that it will matter? Should we just leave it (as Mister and Misses) as you wonderfully have it already?

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: June 14th, 2019, 11:43 am Is there much more Mr and Mrs in the play? - enough that it will matter? Should we just leave it (as Mister and Misses) as you wonderfully have it already?
it's hard to check. Mrs only appears once more very shortly. When I look for Mr. I find too many (over 100) but it's mostly when Pourceaugnac is introduced for his speeches.

Well my first reading was with Monsieur, so I will try to do it again. It probably even sounds better since I say the names in French as well...I'll try tomorrow. It's only like reading Pourceaugnac some seven times more, no big deal :lol: I remember I made you re-record all the Glyda's in one of our previous plays ;) so now we're even.

Sonia