COMPLETE: Short Nonfiction Collection, Vol. 066 - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

BettyB wrote: June 22nd, 2019, 8:23 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf066_coffeecakes_reed_128kb.mp3
Time is 16.42

"Coffeecakes, Doughnuts and Waffles" from the
Myrtle Reed Cookbook - 1916
by Myrtle Reed

archive.org/details/myrtlereedcookbo00reed/page/173

BettyB
Hi Betty, Thanks for this yummy-sounding collection of recipes! :) From-scratch waffles were the every-Sunday morning staple of my childhood, served (in summer) with fresh raspberries from the garden and (in winter) berries we had stored in the freezer. So this collection brings back memories.
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

PM to leightongarner re corrections needed.
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks Betty. Both butter and lard in some of those recipes.

PLOK
:thumbs:
The world needs some positive fanaticism.

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaard on Christianity
Kierkegaards Challenge
leightongarner

Post by leightongarner »

leightongarner

Post by leightongarner »

leightongarner

Post by leightongarner »

I want to send a message to Soupy. I have no idea how to do that. Still trying to figure all of this out.

Soupy I uploaded the Spurgeon sermon with the corrections. Except one of them; 5:00 The voice of God in the word has testified to us our Heavenly Father’s love -- you read dove. It is actually supposed to be the word "dove" and not love. See the sentence above making reference to the Holy Spirit dove.

thanks,

Leighton garner
soupy

Post by soupy »

Hi Leighton :)

Thanks for taking the time and energy to volunteer for librivox. I appreciate Spurgeon's sermons and look forward to more from you :thumbs:

What audio system are you using? Most of us use Audacity. This link will take you to Audacity recording Tutorials https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Newbie_Guide_to_Recording They have step by step written instructions if you like to learn by reading. If you like to learn by watching there are videos available - Here is a YouTube video that shows your how to cut copy paste and edit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it4G-Ntl_Kg This individual have some good videos about Audacity.

7:45 If I cannot understand I will not question, for I am not his counsellor, but I will adore and obey, for I am his servant. If I cannot understand I will not question (repeated again- delete these words as you listen along.

13:14 The new birth as surely stamps us with the image of Christ - I heard stand us - You will have to rereadthose words again and then copy and paste it over those words.

15:00 The text reads: The voice of God in the word has testified to us our Heavenly Father’s love; and the Holy Spirit has borne witness with our spirits that we are the children of God. You will have to delete that underlined part or maybe even the whole sentence and then go to the end of your recording and record it again, then copy the recording you just made and paste into the place at 15:00 making sure it is in place according to the text.

26:53 . “If children then heirs,” says the apostle; therefore, whatever Christ has we have, and though we may be very poor and unknown yet whatever belongs to Christ belongs to us. - forgot second belongs - make the correction the same way

35:07 For ever with Christ at our head we shall be the nearest to the eternal throne you read he for we - you will have to reread the words I indicated and paste the words over those you read or delete the words you read and past them there.

36:51 and these beings can commune with the incarnate God upon suffering as angels cannot, - read spiring for suffering - you will have to reread the words I indicated and paste the words over those you read or delete the words you read and past them there.

37:39 No doubt, however, the text means that these will for ever love and honour the Lord Jesus Christ himself. Forgot to read love
you will have to reread the words I indicated and paste the words over those you read or delete the words you read and past them there.
As to the .mp3.mp3 look at your file and you should see the two .mp3's delete one of them and see if it still works if so resubmit the file. the file name must end in mp3 - to do that you have to export it from Audacity and save it as an mp3 file but you still have to put .mp3 at the end of the file name.
I hope this answered some of your questions.

If not let me know.

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

ColleenMc wrote: June 25th, 2019, 12:05 pm "The Death of Charles Dickens" by Anonymous (New York Times, June 11, 1870)

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf066_deathofcharlesdickens_anonymous_cm_128kb.mp3

10:26

Source: https://timesmachine.nytimes.com/timesmachine/1870/06/11/87591440.pdf

Colleen
Hi Colleen, Many thanks for this tribute to Dickens! :)
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks Colleen :D Dickens has been around forever.

One error noted.

8:00 He succeeded, but the days which are swifter than a weaver’s shuttle left him little time to enjoy the fruits of his labors. He had known many sorrows, or how could he have written much that stands recorded in his name? Forgot to read He had known many sorrows

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Whoops! Got a little too enthusiastic while editing I guess. Should be fixed now!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks Colleen.

PLOK :thumbs:

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
headandheart

Post by headandheart »

Hello,

I would like to add the Original Draft of the Declaration of Independence for review a second time. I apologize that I could not come back sooner the first time around, there was a family matter that took all of my time.

I also am having another issue in that upload is not currently working for me. I sometimes have a bad connection. Is it possible that I could use the same file from my initial upload and could someone increment the number by one digit in the file name? snf066_...…………. instead of snf065_...…….

Transcript:
https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/%22Original_Rough_Draught%22_of_the_Declaration_of_Independence

File:
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf065_originaldeclarationofindependence_jefferson_128kb.mp3

Thanks
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

headandheart wrote: June 25th, 2019, 7:22 pm Hello,

I would like to add the Original Draft of the Declaration of Independence for review a second time. I apologize that I could not come back sooner the first time around, there was a family matter that took all of my time.

I also am having another issue in that upload is not currently working for me. I sometimes have a bad connection. Is it possible that I could use the same file from my initial upload and could someone increment the number by one digit in the file name? snf066_...…………. instead of snf065_...…….

Transcript:
https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/%22Original_Rough_Draught%22_of_the_Declaration_of_Independence

File:
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf065_originaldeclarationofindependence_jefferson_128kb.mp3

Thanks
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf066_originaldeclarationofindependence_jefferson_hh_128kb.mp3

Hi Headandheart,

Glad to hear from you again. We weren't able to include your selection in vol. 065 after we did not hear back from you in response to the comments I, as book coordinator, and our dedicated proof listener Soupy (Craig) left for you in the thread, but we can include it in vol. 066.

Sorry to hear you're having problems uploading. I have gone ahead and changed the volume number on your file for you to snf066.

My main concerns, the first time you sent up your selection were with regards to the public domain status of your sourcing, not the recording itself, but I will consider the source problem resolved. Craig, as proof listener, had two minor corrections to the text. I am here appending a copy of what he wrote back to you in the thread for vol. 065:
soupy wrote: April 29th, 2019, 12:55 pm Thanks for the reading Headandheart :D

I read from the link you provided and found the following errors.

:20 at the beginning you should have read
A Declaration of the Representatives of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, in General Congress assembled.

4:31 he has made our judges dependant on his will alone, for the tenure of their offices, and amount of their salaries: - read and the amount

Otherwise its word perfect per the professor's link if you have checked the link you submitted.

Craig
If it is possible for you to make these edits in the next two weeks, that would be great. However, if you are continuing to have problems uploading your files, and in view of the troubles you've had as a new contributor to LibriVox, I will accept your file as is, since the reading is essentially ok in its main aspects.

Would you please let us know whether you will be able to make the edits.

Also, please let us know how you want your name listed in the catalog. You can use either your forum name (headandheart) or your real name.

Welcome again to LibriVox and to the Nonfiction Collection,

Sue (Book Coordinator)
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Given the length and complexity of Spurgeon's Sermon #1043 as submitted to the Nonfiction Collection, I, as Book Coordinator, proof listened it myself today. In doing so, I found a substantial number of deviations from the text, which I am listing below. I think that most persons who would take the time to listen to a sermon by a historically important preacher such as the Rev. Spurgeon would want the text to be as accurate as possible. Therefore, I have concerns over the accuracy of the recording.

The question of how much deviation from the text, how many "errors" should be allowed with Standard Proof Listening is a subject which is beyond the scope of the Nonfiction Collection. I can only speak for myself and what I try for in my own recordings. I proof all my own recordings at least three times, and I would consider that, after I had proofed my own recording three times carefully, I would not expect, in a 40 minute recording, to have more than 3 or 4 misread places that a proof listener, reading along with the text, might encounter.

Neither the BC or the DPL of the Nonfiction collection are professional editors; neither, as volunteers, are we paid for our time. Therefore, as Book Coordinator, I ask that contributors help us out by proofing their recordings as carefully as they can. For a DPL or a BC, to proof listen a text they did not record themselves is very time consuming!

In the present circumstance, I am going to ask that that Leighton make corrections to his text at 9:24, 13:05, 14:47, and 40:22, where I think that his deviations from the text change the meaning of the text.

In future, as Book Coordinator, I will reserve the right to reject a text which time-wise overburdens myself or the dedicated proof listener because of deviations from the text.

ERRORS IN CORRECTED FILE

"128kp" should be "128kb"

1:11 "that a deep spiritual experience should bring him to..." You said "should bring him into"

2:40 "To be cheered under many things..." You said "among many things..."

7:12 "as the ultimate end of the predestination..." You said "predestinations..."

8:20 "but in the earthy image..." You said "earthly image..."

8:29 "the image of the earthy..." You said "earthly"

9:16 "removing defilement of sin..." You said "of that sin"

9:24 "who is the first born amongst the many brethren..." You said "who is among the first born of the many brethren..."

9:33 "First, we are to be conformed to him as to our nature." You said "as our nature"

11:25 "When our Lord was born..." I heard "When a Lord was born..."

12:58 "yet as we have borne the image of the earthy..." You said "earthly"

13:05 "The new birth as surely stamps us..." You said "stands us..."

14:07 "and we shall be his sons and his daughters..." You said "his sons and daughters..."

14:47 "The voice of God in the word has testified to our Heavenly Father's love..." You said "Father's dove..."

25:36 "you are not to be content with your own conception of that which is beautiful and lovely..." You said "your own conception of what is beautiful and lovely..."

25:25 "but we see Jesus...." You said "yet we see Jesus..."

27:06 "and Jesus saith this to all his people..." You said "and Jesus said this to all the people..."

28:46 "This truth divides itself thus..." You said "The truth..."

29:02 "because God's grace had made us willing..." You said "God's grace has made us willing..."

30;30.5 "he that hath wrought us to the self-same thing is God..." You said "same self thing is God..."

30:48 "Not unto us, not unto us, but unto thy name be praise." You said "unto thy name be praised."

31:49 "predestinated us..." You said "predestined"

34:44 "they have never had to battle..." You left out word "they"

34:53 "so as with full purpose of heart" You left out "as"

32:27 "therefore ordained that a seed whom he has chosen..." You said "that he had chosen..."

35:58 "with whom Christ can hold brotherly converse..." You left out "with"

36:40 "beings placed under infinite obligations..." You said "being placed"

37:57 "How we will when we once get to heaven..." You said "when we get to heaven...."

38:12 "Shall we not want our voices made more loud till they become..." You said "Shall we not want our voices to be made more loud until they become..."

38:18 "or surely we shall not be able to praise him...' You said "or surely we would not be able..."

38:45 "we shall dwell not as mere servants..." You said "we shall not dwell as mere servants..."

38:18 "We shall have no need to envy angels..." You said "We need have no need..."

39:48 "at the prospect which this text reveals..." You said "as the prospect..."

40:22 "golden pieces..." You said "gold pieces..."