COMPLETE: Short Nonfiction Collection, Vol. 066 - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Post Reply
soupy
Posts: 4094
Joined: November 14th, 2008, 4:04 pm
Location: Appleton, Wisconsin
Contact:

Post by soupy » June 29th, 2019, 4:22 am

Hi headandheart :D

I still found this error.

:20 at the beginning you should have read
A Declaration of the Representatives of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, in General Congress assembled.

The other error was fixed very nicely :thumbs:

Craig
The task of life should last as long as life lasts, that is the task of living.

Help us finish
The Spirit of the Age. 3 sections left

Vietnam: The Advisory Years to 1965

My Website
Kierkegaards Challenge

soupy
Posts: 4094
Joined: November 14th, 2008, 4:04 pm
Location: Appleton, Wisconsin
Contact:

Post by soupy » June 29th, 2019, 8:19 pm

Sue. Are we using the Wikipedia link to the Declaration of Indepence? If so I'll post it into the Magic Window.

Craig
The task of life should last as long as life lasts, that is the task of living.

Help us finish
The Spirit of the Age. 3 sections left

Vietnam: The Advisory Years to 1965

My Website
Kierkegaards Challenge

Sue Anderson
Posts: 4070
Joined: July 24th, 2008, 11:48 am
Location: Midwest, USA
Contact:

Post by Sue Anderson » June 30th, 2019, 10:11 am

soupy wrote:
June 29th, 2019, 8:19 pm
Sue. Are we using the Wikipedia link to the Declaration of Indepence? If so I'll post it into the Magic Window.

Craig
Craig, Let's use this link: http://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/2003656533/

mitteldorf
Posts: 60
Joined: July 21st, 2014, 5:28 am
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Post by mitteldorf » June 30th, 2019, 6:59 pm

I've just uploaded a Harpers article by Mark Twain

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf066_mentaltelegraphy_twain_jjm_128kb.mp3

Short description: Mark Twain collected stories of synchronicities and became convinced that mind can communicate directly with mind, after many years, he went public with his belief and the stories on which belief was based.

Link to text: https://archive.harpers.org/1891/12/pdf/HarpersMagazine-1891-12-0036694.pdf
also at: https://archive.org/details/completeessaysof00twai

Sue Anderson
Posts: 4070
Joined: July 24th, 2008, 11:48 am
Location: Midwest, USA
Contact:

Post by Sue Anderson » July 1st, 2019, 4:53 am

mitteldorf wrote:
June 30th, 2019, 6:59 pm
I've just uploaded a Harpers article by Mark Twain

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf066_mentaltelegraphy_twain_jjm_128kb.mp3

Short description: Mark Twain collected stories of synchronicities and became convinced that mind can communicate directly with mind, after many years, he went public with his belief and the stories on which belief was based.

Link to text: https://archive.harpers.org/1891/12/pdf/HarpersMagazine-1891-12-0036694.pdf
also at: https://archive.org/details/completeessaysof00twai
Hi mitteldorf, Thanks for your contribution to volume 066! :) Our dedicated proof listener, Soupy (Craig) will PL your selection.

david wales
Posts: 5794
Joined: May 2nd, 2011, 5:46 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Post by david wales » July 1st, 2019, 11:26 am

• Title of the work.
• War Scenes Across The Canadian Border (1915)
• Author of the work.
• Stephen Leacock
• The link to your file you copied from the uploader.
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf066_warscenescanadianborder_leacock_dw_128kb.mp3

• A URL link to the source from which you read (etext URL).
http://www.fadedpage.com/showbook.php?pid=20170219
• Length in minutes.
• 9.57

Thank you
Peace, David

Sue Anderson
Posts: 4070
Joined: July 24th, 2008, 11:48 am
Location: Midwest, USA
Contact:

Post by Sue Anderson » July 1st, 2019, 2:33 pm

david wales wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 11:26 am
• Title of the work.
• War Scenes Across The Canadian Border (1915)
• Author of the work.
• Stephen Leacock
• The link to your file you copied from the uploader.
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf066_warscenescanadianborder_leacock_dw_128kb.mp3

• A URL link to the source from which you read (etext URL).
http://www.fadedpage.com/showbook.php?pid=20170219
• Length in minutes.
• 9.57

Thank you
Many thanks, David! :)

soupy
Posts: 4094
Joined: November 14th, 2008, 4:04 pm
Location: Appleton, Wisconsin
Contact:

Post by soupy » July 1st, 2019, 3:21 pm

Thanks Josh :D

That was very interesting.And well read for such a long piece.

I found a few errors
At the BEGINNING say: "[Title of Work], by [Author Name]" "This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit Librivox.org"
You just said Read for Librivox.org

6:30 at last the idea had occurred to him – you read at least

27:00 a long letter arrived from his lost son, the man was as grateful to me as if I had read had something to do with the hurrying up of that letter. Some errors in this sentence

28:35 have had to take it out in trying, because George (colored) , who makes the fires – you read George, my hired man

30:30 and try to interest me in his projected raids upon the title and estates by offering me a share in the latter portion of the spoil – you forgot to read projected raids upon the title and estates

41:06 “A remarkable Coincidence” no need to add the extra remarks not in the text since it is explained in the sentence above.

At least 5 seconds of silence at the end - you didn't leave any silence

Please let me know if you have any questions

Craig
The task of life should last as long as life lasts, that is the task of living.

Help us finish
The Spirit of the Age. 3 sections left

Vietnam: The Advisory Years to 1965

My Website
Kierkegaards Challenge

soupy
Posts: 4094
Joined: November 14th, 2008, 4:04 pm
Location: Appleton, Wisconsin
Contact:

Post by soupy » July 2nd, 2019, 6:52 am

Thanks David your reading is PLOK :thumbs:

Craig
The task of life should last as long as life lasts, that is the task of living.

Help us finish
The Spirit of the Age. 3 sections left

Vietnam: The Advisory Years to 1965

My Website
Kierkegaards Challenge

lethargilistic
Posts: 173
Joined: July 24th, 2018, 3:38 am
Contact:

Post by lethargilistic » July 5th, 2019, 3:55 pm

A short throwback to that time the US invaded Siberia in the aftermath of WWI.

"Americans Lose Men in Fight in Siberia"
The New York Times
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf066_americansfightsiberia_nyt_mlo_128kb.mp3
https://archive.org/details/NYTimes_jun16_30_1919/page/n429 (On the far right)
1:26
Mike

Sue Anderson
Posts: 4070
Joined: July 24th, 2008, 11:48 am
Location: Midwest, USA
Contact:

Post by Sue Anderson » July 5th, 2019, 5:26 pm

lethargilistic wrote:
July 5th, 2019, 3:55 pm
A short throwback to that time the US invaded Siberia in the aftermath of WWI.

"Americans Lose Men in Fight in Siberia"
The New York Times
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf066_americansfightsiberia_nyt_mlo_128kb.mp3
https://archive.org/details/NYTimes_jun16_30_1919/page/n429 (On the far right)
1:26
Hi Mike, Thanks for this tidbit concerning U.S. military involvement abroad. A little to the left of your selection on that page from the New York Times is another interesting article from 1919: "Red Menace in Europe Will Extinguish Itself in 3 Months, Says Major Babbit." Major Babbit writes: "It was part of my work in Germany to inspect and relieve prison camps, many of them containing Russian prisoners of war, among whom Bolshevist doctrines were rife. In less than a month those Russians were on the best of terms with our men. They were, so to speak, tamed. Why? Because the Americans treated them right: that's all."

Volume 066 of the Nonfiction Collection has yours truly, the Book Coordinator, feeling rather like an old and disgruntled schoolmarm trying to enforce discipline ... Mike, you read your selection like a pro radio announcer, but you neglected the obligatory LibriVox intro: "At the BEGINNING say: "[Title of Work], by [Author Name]" "This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit Librivox.org" I'll take the hit for telling you the intro has got to be there, and save Craig the trouble of pointing it out to you . . .

Hope your unemployment is short lived!

lethargilistic
Posts: 173
Joined: July 24th, 2018, 3:38 am
Contact:

Post by lethargilistic » July 5th, 2019, 6:37 pm

Fixed this. I recorded this immediately after some poetry and got my wires crossed. ^^;

It would have been nice of them in 1919 to not start the article with such a snarly run-on sentence.

I thought that other article was cool, too, and was tempted to read it, but I decided to only read one NYT article today. Maybe some other time. Who knows?

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf066_americansfightsiberia_nyt_mlo_128kb.mp3 (1:38)
Mike

soupy
Posts: 4094
Joined: November 14th, 2008, 4:04 pm
Location: Appleton, Wisconsin
Contact:

Post by soupy » July 5th, 2019, 7:00 pm

Thanks Mike :D

That war isn't spoken of much.

PLOK :thumbs:

Craig
The task of life should last as long as life lasts, that is the task of living.

Help us finish
The Spirit of the Age. 3 sections left

Vietnam: The Advisory Years to 1965

My Website
Kierkegaards Challenge


Sue Anderson
Posts: 4070
Joined: July 24th, 2008, 11:48 am
Location: Midwest, USA
Contact:

Post by Sue Anderson » July 7th, 2019, 8:42 am


Post Reply