COMPLETE - Compilation of Lectures: Russian Realities and Problems - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Russian Realities & Problems: Lectures delivered at Cambridge in August 1916 by Pavel Milyoukov, (1859 - 1943) and others.

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/russian-realities-and-problems-by-various/

This book is a compilation of scholarly lectures by distinguished experts delivered at Cambridge in August 1916. The titles of the lectures reveal the contents of each presentation and include the following: The war and Balkan politics; the representative system in Russia; past and present of Russian economics; Poland, old and new; the nationalities of Russia; and the development of science and learning in Russia. ( Jan_M)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/cu31924028376014/page/n7
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Russian Realities & Problems: Lectures delivered at Cambridge in August 1916. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Russian Realities & Problems: Lectures delivered at Cambridge in August 1916, by Pavel Milyoukov,. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Russian Realities & Problems: Lectures delivered at Cambridge in August 1916 by Pavel Milyoukov,. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Russian Realities & Problems: Lectures delivered at Cambridge in August 1916, by Pavel Milyoukov,. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename russianrealitiesandproblems_##_various_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. russianrealitiesandproblems_01_various_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: TriciaG
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Jan M

"There is no surer foundation for a beautiful friendship than a mutual taste in literature."
--P.G. Wodehouse
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

This project would be a perfect mix of education and pleasure to DPL, please count me in! :9:
Mark Chulsky / Марк Чульский
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

This is set up. Do you have a DPL lined up, or do we need one?

For your audio intros, I would suggest, after the LV blurb, then reading [chapter/lecture title] by [author] rather than [book title] by [author] and then the "chapter" title. (Since each lecture is by a different author, the author should be credited to the lecture rather than the whole book.) Make sense?

I also modified the suggested file name. :)

EDIT: I see Karl posted right before me. ;) Let us know if he may DPL.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Thanks for the very helpful suggestions, Tricia. I appreciate your rapid set-up of this project, although I will be away until the end of June and plan to start then.
I am thrilled that Karl has offered to be my DPL. I ask for and want his help, especially with the pronunciation of Russian names! I believe I need to adjust my specifications for the Proof Listener from Regular to Special to allow him to give me this help. I wonder if I'm able to edit the launch document. If I cannot, can you? And if you cannot, can we have this as our agreement based upon this message?
Hoping!
Jan
Jan M

"There is no surer foundation for a beautiful friendship than a mutual taste in literature."
--P.G. Wodehouse
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Sure, go ahead and change the first post. It isn't required; an oral agreement works, too.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Karl added as DPL. Moving to Going Solo!
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Greetings, Tricia.
As I'm preparing to record the first two essays, I have recognized that there are charts that should perhaps be summarized for the reader--or not? I'm sure others have handled charts such as these. If you have advice for me, I welcome it.
Thanks,
Jan
Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

It looks like for most of the tables, the text summarizes the main point to be made. "As you can see from the table..." so those probably don't have to be read but can be skipped. (Or if you want to read them you can.)

It appears the diagram on page 36 is explained in the text on page 37.

So, if it were my project, I'd probably skip all the tables and diagrams. Or you could read/describe them as best as you can. It's up to you. :)
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Thank you for looking closely at the text. I will ABSOLUTELY skip the tables if the info is in the text. (Next time I'll check for that first before asking! Learning as I go!)
Thanks again,
Jan :clap:
Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

The first lecture is uploaded. I think a little attention needs to be paid to the order in which I introduce the title of the lecture and the title of the book. I'll fix that (of course) if needed, but I'll fix anything else you may find at that time.
Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

I hope you don't find this book too dry. If you do, please don't continue for my sake, feel free to drop it :roll:

Sec.0: the last 6 lines of the text of preface are cut off.
@ 1:15 -- if we strive to perfection again, then the ultimate "e" in Peter Struve, as always in Russian, is very much pronounced [pʲɵtr str'uvʲɪ].

Sec.1 @ 18:30 Girondist (French: [ʒiʁɔ̃dɛ̃]) should be a soft "g", like in French "George"
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Sorry, Jan, I missed your question about the book source.
Yes, it is the same book, at imwerden the scan quality is a bit better, and the interface more straightforward, but the Russian description could be intimidating :-)
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Oh my, I'm not finding this book dry at all! I am amused sometimes by the convoluted sentence structure within the lecture, but professors! What can you do with them?! hahahha
Thanks for the notes. I do so appreciate them. Also, I did wonder how to pronounce Peter Struve's name.
Jan
Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

:idea: Wikipedia articles often have pronunciation transcriptions, I copied Struve from there :)
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Good to know!
Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse