COMPLETE: Etiquette by Emily Post - NF/law

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page:
http://librivox.org/etiquette-in-society-in-business-in-politics-and-at-home-by-emily-post/

Etiquette in Society, in Business, in Politics and at Home, by Emily Post

Feeling a little incorrect? Or want to prove you've been right all along? Join in! Let's see how well this translates to today.

Volunteers outside the USA: Emily Post died in 1960. Her work is still protected by copyright in places, like Europe, where copyright is author's death plus 70 years, or Canada/Australia (author's death plus 50 years).

Short description: Far from being a proscriber of minutiae, Post the philosopher offers a way of living: “Manners are made up of trivialities of deportment which can be easily learned if one does not happen to know them; manner is personality—the outward manifestation of one’s innate character and attitude toward life.” Post gives us thousands of tips on correspondence, wedding planning, party giving and conduct in every public or private setting. (from Bartleby)
  1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    Target completion date of this project: September 1, 2007 – but try to send your recordings as soon as you can. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Bartleby e-text: http://www.bartleby.com/95/
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column in the box)!

For chapters split into parts: the Bartleby text has paragraph numbers along the right-hand side of each page. The paragraphs included in each section are listed in the box. If there are any questions, please let me know.

NOTE: The chapter lengths listed in the Title column are estimates of finished (edited) length. For chapters split into more than one section, each section is around 20-30 min. in length.

link
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro) --Remember to use Chapter number, not Section.
    • "[Chapter] of Etiquette. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      "Etiquette in Society, in Business, in Politics and at Home, by Emily Post. [Chapter]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of [Chapter]"
      If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Etiquette in Society, in Business, in Politics, and at Home, by Emily Post."
    Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    etiquette_##_post.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your chapter number. (etiquette_01_post.mp3)
    For chapters divided into parts, use:
    etiquette_##-[part #]_post.mp3 (etiquette_01-1_post.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/WhatIsID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - [Chapter title]
    Title for chapter parts: ##-[part #] - [Chapter title] ex. 01-1 - [title]
    Artist: Emily Post
    Album: Etiquette

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    • If you have ftp software, go to ftp.studioae.com
      Login using:
      LibriVox (user)
      L1br1V0x (pw)
      Go to the chocoholic folder, then put your files in the Etiquette folder inside that. The webaddress for your file will be:
      http://www.studioae.com/LibriVox/chocoholic/Etiquette/yourfilename.mp3
    • If you have your own server space, post the link here. Please leave the file in this location until the project is catalogued.
    • If you don't have your own server space or ftp software, you'll need to transfer the file to one of the free servers available. For a list of options, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
    • You can upload directly to kri's uploader: http://librivox.greenkri.com (password libre). I prefer to use one of the above options, though.
    I'll need the following information from you when you submit a recording:
    • your name/pseudonym as you want to appear in the LibriVox catalog, and your website URL if you like. These are only necessary if this is your first LibriVox recording.
    • the file size of your .mp3 file.
Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Last edited by chocoholic on August 2nd, 2007, 10:54 am, edited 16 times in total.
Laurie Anne
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Opinions please -- the introduction was not written by Emily Post but is included in both Gutenberg and Bartleby, so I assume it was in the original edition. Do we include it here too?
Laurie Anne
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

IF its in Gutenberg, Its in the public domain so I think it should be included. This looks like a great project. Although I cannot MC at the moment, I can set up the window for you. :)

Esther
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Thanks, Esther!
Laurie Anne
kri

Post by kri »

I'll MC this! More details when I have time later.

Thanks Esther :)
kayray

Post by kayray »

Oh! I must have some! It was really hard to choose, but I think I'll start with
25 - The Country House and Its Hospitality
Thanks, Laurie Anne :)
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

25 is yours, Kara!
Laurie Anne
ardency

Post by ardency »

I would like to read Chapter 0: Introduction.

-- Michael
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Did the reader list move up by accident, or on purpose? If the latter, you may want to change the text for point 5. :)
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Oh give me 31 - etiquette in Bridge, brilliant. Anyone who says "Bridge is always taken seriously; a bumble puppy game won’t do at all..." is worth being read. :) Goes to show how little things change over the years.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
julienstockwell

Post by julienstockwell »

I would be glad to do Chapter 9, One's Position in the Community.
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Ardency and julienstockwell, welcome to Librivox, and I've got you signed up! If you haven't recorded before, you might want to do a short test recording (the Weekly Poetry is a good place to try things out) just to be sure the technical stuff is all straight before you read something a bit longer. I'll also need to know what name you want to be used in the catalog and whether you have a URL you'd like linked to your catalog page. Let me know if you have any problems or questions!
Gesine wrote:Did the reader list move up by accident, or on purpose? If the latter, you may want to change the text for point 5. :)
I don't think I understand the question, Gesine...

Oh never mind, I see now. :lol: I'll go do something with it. And you're in for 31!
Laurie Anne
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Good, cause I've already recorded it. ;)
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Gesine wrote:Good, cause I've already recorded it. ;)
:lol: I suppose that's how you know about the bridge quote. Kri should be back soon to tell me where to put your file. In the meantime, if you want to send it to me or tell me where it is, I should be able to PL soon.
Laurie Anne
ardency

Post by ardency »

ardency wrote:Chapter 0: Introduction
I need pronunciation suggestions for a couple of items in my section.

In paragraph 5, the French (Old French?) word etiquettes is used, twice, in explaination of the English word's etymology. Need a hint on saying this as intended...

Also, "Dr. Pusey" in the 9th paragraph, I presume be Edward Bouverie Pusey, but knowing that still doesn't help me say his last name correctly -- is that PYOO-see or PYOO-zee?

Is this the right way to ask these questions?