[Complete] Fifty Years a Detective by Thomas Furlong - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Horner94

Post by Horner94 »

HZFerr wrote: May 28th, 2019, 10:11 am sect 23
PL note:
1-Background humming sound-Did you try the noise reduction?

Hi Chad,
I hate to do this to you, but now the volume is slightly low. From experience, I know how hard it is to get it just right.
2-slightly low volume
Your Volume (85.2 dB) is slightly low, it should be lowered to 86-92db.
Hello,
I have done a couple rounds of noise reduction and amplified the volume slightly. Please review the following audio recording for Section 23 here: https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/fiftyyearsadetective_23_furlong_128kb.mp3 Time: 05:43
Please do not hesitate to get back to me if there are any further issues.
Thanks again for your feedback, it is much appreciated.
Kind regards,
Chad
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Horner94 wrote: May 28th, 2019, 1:07 pm
PL note:

Hi Chad,
I hate to do this to you, but now the volume is slightly low. From experience, I know how hard it is to get it just right.
2-slightly low volume
Hello,
I have done a couple rounds of noise reduction and amplified the volume slightly. Please review the following audio recording for Section 23 here: https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/fiftyyearsadetective_23_furlong_128kb.mp3 Time: 05:43
Kind regards,
Chad
Chad, once you have sorted this section out, you might want to consider playing with your settings a bit.
If you are using Audacity, look at the ribbon across the top... just left of center is a mic with a slider thingy. Play around with that till you find a level that hits the sweet spot. Mine I set at 0.25 and it usually comes out a bit on the quiet side, which means I can amplify without clipping (for example at an exciting part were I got louder!).
As for the background noise, running the effect once should probably become a habit, but overdoing it can result in 'tinniness' or you'll sound like Dr. Who's daleks. Not good. You might have to play detective to find out what is causing it and try to eliminate it. Common culprits: heating/ air conditioning, refrigerators, fans (including on your computer), an aquarium, fluorescent lights (especially the long, strip lights), metal table legs. Are you using your computer's built-in mic or a USB mic? USB is better and you can get fairly reasonably priced ones that are decent (under $30 here in the US) but you can also pay a lot more for better ones. I have read that if you are using laptop, you should use it in battery mode while recording, but I haven't found it to be an issue. Might be worth a try though. There are quite a few things you can do without shelling out any money... but, on the other hand, if your pay check is burning a hole in your pocket you can also spend a lot to improve your set-up 8-)
wordwork2

Post by wordwork2 »

Hello!

I would like to record sections 10, 16 and 18.

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

wordwork2 wrote: May 29th, 2019, 8:28 am Hello!

I would like to record sections 10, 16 and 18.

Thank you for claiming
Horner94

Post by Horner94 »

Lynnet wrote: May 28th, 2019, 2:00 pm
PL note:

Hi Chad,
2-slightly low volume
Hello,
Kind regards,
Chad
Chad, once you have sorted this section out, you might want to consider playing with your settings a bit.
If you are using Audacity, look at the ribbon across the top... just left of center is a mic with a slider thingy. Play around with that till you find a level that hits the sweet spot. Mine I set at 0.25 and it usually comes out a bit on the quiet side, which means I can amplify without clipping (for example at an exciting part were I got louder!).
As for the background noise, running the effect once should probably become a habit, but overdoing it can result in 'tinniness' or you'll sound like Dr. Who's daleks. Not good. You might have to play detective to find out what is causing it and try to eliminate it. Common culprits: heating/ air conditioning, refrigerators, fans (including on your computer), an aquarium, fluorescent lights (especially the long, strip lights), metal table legs. Are you using your computer's built-in mic or a USB mic? USB is better and you can get fairly reasonably priced ones that are decent (under $30 here in the US) but you can also pay a lot more for better ones. I have read that if you are using laptop, you should use it in battery mode while recording, but I haven't found it to be an issue. Might be worth a try though. There are quite a few things you can do without shelling out any money... but, on the other hand, if your pay check is burning a hole in your pocket you can also spend a lot to improve your set-up 8-)
Thank you for your feedback :D
I re-recorded this section again for you to review: https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/fiftyyearsadetective_23_furlong_128kb.mp3 Time: 05:16 By the way, I am using a headset mic.
I look forward to hearing back from you.
Kind regards,
Chad
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Horner94 wrote: May 29th, 2019, 12:05 pm
Lynnet wrote: May 28th, 2019, 2:00 pm

Hello,
Kind regards,
Chad
Thank you for your feedback :D
I re-recorded this section again for you to review: https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/fiftyyearsadetective_23_furlong_128kb.mp3 Time: 05:16 By the way, I am using a headset mic.
I look forward to hearing back from you.
Kind regards,
Chad
Thank you. FYI, it is rarely necessary to re-record. Most recordings are redeemable, even if not perfect.
Headset mics are great... provided you remember to select the correct input (second top row on the ribbon in Audacity, second tab across with the mic icon). I have had the wrong one selected before and wondered why I sounded fuzzy :roll: )
johnb2

Post by johnb2 »

Hi Lynn

May I do: Chapter 17
ticket forgers .....
and Chapter 28
Charlie Dalton
john
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

johnb2 wrote: May 30th, 2019, 7:41 am Hi Lynn

May I do: Chapter 17
ticket forgers .....
and Chapter 28
Charlie Dalton
john
You may!
johnb2

Post by johnb2 »

wordwork2

Post by wordwork2 »

Hello!

Here is my recording of section 10:

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/fiftyyearsadetective_10_furlong_128kb.mp3 (14:35)

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

wordwork2 wrote: May 30th, 2019, 1:40 pm Hello!

Here is my recording of section 10:

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/fiftyyearsadetective_10_furlong_128kb.mp3 (14:35)

Thank you
HZFerr

Post by HZFerr »

sect 23
Spot PL OK :thumbs:

Chad I commend you for all your hard work, it paid off! :clap: :clap:
I look forward to hearing you again. :D

Daleks :shock: Ex-ter-min-ate!
Helen

POW/MIA, we will remember them.
5/4/66 (S.V.) Malone, Jimmy M.
Private U.S. Army, 1st Battalion, 503rd Infantry
HZFerr

Post by HZFerr »

sect 10
PL OK

Hi Maria,
It was wonderful hearing you read! :clap:
Helen

POW/MIA, we will remember them.
5/4/66 (S.V.) Malone, Jimmy M.
Private U.S. Army, 1st Battalion, 503rd Infantry
broadcastbrandon

Post by broadcastbrandon »

Hello! May I claim chapter 11? I'm a newbie recorder, can I just be listed as BroadcastBrandon? Thanks! :D