[COMPLETE] Twain and Howells-On Each Other - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
johng

Post by johng » May 19th, 2019, 3:37 pm

William Dean Howells by Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) & My Mark Twain: Literary Friends and Acquaintances by William Dean Howells (1837-1920) .

This project is now complete. All audio files can be downloaded from the catalog page here:
https://librivox.org/william-dean-howells-and-my-mark-twain-by-mark-twain-and-william-dean-howells/

Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens) and William Dean Howells were friends for 44 years. Their personal and professional relationship is considered by many to be one of the most important in American literature. Howells published his famous "My Mark Twain" in the same year Clemens died, 1910. A few years earlier, Clemens wrote this "remembrance" and "appreciation" of the man who stuck with him through the ups and downs of his long literary journey. (John Greenman)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): (by Twain) https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc1.c087222515;view=1up;seq=255
    (by Howells) http://www.gutenberg.org/files/3390/3390.txt
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): wordperfect

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin Keywords that describe the book: mark twain, william dean howells
    ============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • (for Twain essay) - "William Dean Howells by Mark Twain. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org" (for Howells book) - "My Mark Twain by William Dean Howells. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "William Dean Howells by Mark Twain, by Mark Twain. [Chapter]" "My Mark Twain by William Dean Howells. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of William Dean Howells by Mark Twain by Mark Twain. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of William Dean Howells by Mark Twain, by Mark Twain. " "End of My Mark Twain by William Dean Howells."

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename twainandhowells_##_twain_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. twainandhowells_01_twain_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Availle
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by johng on May 28th, 2019, 7:22 am, edited 9 times in total.
"Morality" is doing what's right regardless of what you're told!
"Obedience" is doing what is told, regardless of what is right!

johng

Post by johng » May 21st, 2019, 8:05 am

This should be a pretty straightforward project.
Just one large file...standing along...with Sam's thoughts about Howells, his long-time friend.
:-)
-j

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » May 21st, 2019, 9:01 am

This text source isn't acceptable for LV.

We'd need a pre-1923 scan or a trustworthy PD source. This site doesn't cut it. Sorry! :?
Nonfiction: Human Radiation Experiments HERE
Insomnia Collection!
Experiences in the Panama Canal Zone during construction: Zone Policeman 88

johng

Post by johng » May 21st, 2019, 9:11 am

TriciaG wrote:
May 21st, 2019, 9:01 am
This text source isn't acceptable for LV.

We'd need a pre-1923 scan or a trustworthy PD source. This site doesn't cut it. Sorry! :?
I’m waiting for a source from the web page owner since he claims it’s PD.
See bottom of page:
https://www.everywritersresource.com/about-us/amp/

Meanwhile, i’ll be recording the work anyway.

chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic » May 21st, 2019, 9:38 am

Yes, maybe he can send you a scan of the original or a link to the text on Gutenberg or HathiTrust (which is what we'd link on our catalog page too). If a known PD original isn't available, you can still upload your recording to Archive on your own or through another audiobook provider, it just wouldn't be a Librivox project.
Laurie Anne

johng

Post by johng » May 21st, 2019, 9:41 am

I understand
Tnx

johng

Post by johng » May 21st, 2019, 2:56 pm

As I understand LV policy...you can't "Publish" a copyrighted PAGE as a source for material...even though the material itself is in the PD.

Here's some info from a librarian:
+++++++
Hmm, I wonder. If the Twain text itself originally appeared in a newspaper publication in 1851, wouldn't that be the original copyright date, meaning the text itself is in the public domain? The copyright notice on this collection says "previously unpublished material by Mark Twain copyright 1979" and "original material copyright 1979," but I wouldn't think either of those apply to Twain's text that was published in a paper in 1851.

Even if the '79 date applies, there may be some wiggle room depending on whether it was published with notice/registered/renewed. See Cornell's handy table for details. Copyright was bonkers starting around that time and has never, in my opinion, gotten better.

Anyway, hope that helps!

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » May 21st, 2019, 3:00 pm

It helps a little, but not much. We'd need to find the scan of the newspaper, I think, or get copyright clearance from PG.

Here's a link to our text acceptance policy: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=72912
Texts acceptable for LV:
* Scans of works which show the publication year as being 1923 or earlier
* Texts available on Gutenberg.org (see note below)
* Texts available as "full view" on HathiTrust.org
* Texts from other sites that state clearly which edition the text came from, and that do not restrict the use of their text with a CC or other license (gutenberg.au, bartleby.com, and plenty of others)

Sources that share transcribed works (works rendered into html) without a clear statement of what edition they came from aren't allowed
Insomnia Collection!

johng

Post by johng » May 21st, 2019, 7:14 pm

Perhaps LV needs to update its policy a little bit...
Here's a point of view from the Twain List discussion...

++++++++++++++
Just a theory, and I am certainly no lawyer. But, while the web page may be copyrighted, the text by Twain certainly isn't, being of a certain age. And we are of a digital age, so why not simply copy ONLY the Twain text from that page and paste it into whatever software you use to create your scripts? Or, if that still feels unethical, just type the text yourself, using the text on the web page as your model.

Keep in mind that someone somewhere had to type in that text at some point in order for that web page to exist. Might have been that web page's creator; might have been someone else many years ago. Whoever did it presumably felt free to do it because the copyright had long ago expired and the text passed into the public domain.

Regards,

Carl

chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic » May 21st, 2019, 7:57 pm

Oh, if it were only so simple. Yes, a text published in the United States during Twain's lifetime should be public domain, but we don't know when this one was published (posthumous publication does happen). Even if we find the original publication date, there's no way to know if a text typed onto a website is a duplicate of a PD original without comparing it with the PD original. Modern versions are sometimes changed to correct "errors" or make the language align with modern usage, especially with racial terms. And in my experience as an LV admin, most people don't really know what public domain means. It's very common for people to think "freely available online" is the same as "public domain." So there's no particular reason to think that someone who typed or copied a text onto a website diligently checked the copyright status of the source text.

Those are the main reasons for our text policy.
Laurie Anne

johng

Post by johng » May 22nd, 2019, 3:37 am

Thanks Laurie Ann’n
I appreciate the time you’ve put into this.
I guess there’s no solution to the problem of old material within a copyrighted work! It can’t be used unless the copyright holder makes the work PD???
Even though the material is CLEARLY very old.

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » May 22nd, 2019, 5:02 am

Moving this to Book Suggestions until the copyright situation is ironed out.
Insomnia Collection!

johng

Post by johng » May 22nd, 2019, 5:14 am

TriciaG wrote:
May 22nd, 2019, 5:02 am
Moving this to Book Suggestions until the copyright situation is ironed out.
please check out the NEW URL for the work

Welcome Helen!!

and Thanks for being PR again!!!!

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » May 22nd, 2019, 5:19 am

Yay!!

And now, issue #2 - this should really go in the Short Nonfiction Collection anyway, since it's 1 section, maybe 20 minutes long. Items in the collections are searchable in the catalog.

The collections introduce listeners to different authors and readers in our catalog. So, by putting this in the Nonfiction collection, you'll introduce listeners who only know Twain as the author of Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn to a different side of the author - and to your recordings!

Here's the link to the current collection: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=74648
Insomnia Collection!

johng

Post by johng » May 22nd, 2019, 6:40 am

I am hoping that this work can stand on its own since I will be recording Howells "My Mark Twain" next...and would like to refer each to the other.
This recording is just shy of 30 minutes long!