COMPLETE The Heidenmauer; or, The Benedictines. A Legend of the Rhine by James Fenimore Cooper-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
jkindrick

Post by jkindrick »

:D Hard to listen to or hard to read aloud? :)
jkindrick

Post by jkindrick »

OK. You want to give me your best guess on this one? Vol. 2, pg. 205, 2nd line. "...to speak of the ________" My guess is "duty."
https://archive.org/details/heidenmauerorbe01coopgoog/page/n438/mode/2up?q=eye+looks+over

Thanks.
jkindrick

Post by jkindrick »

Hi Cheryl,

I'm going to have to slow down on the recording and uploading again. Number 29 is all recorded, but I need to do the editing and my computer has decided to have noise and breakdown issues. I have just ordered a new Mac. The one I've been using has lasted me about six years. Should be able to be up and running in a couple of weeks as they aren't allowing in-store pickup and one will be shipped to me. Don't lose confidence in me. We'll get this done. Somehow I don't think James Fenimore Cooper ever expected this book to be a read-out-loud book. :-) Hopefully not as long of a time spread will go on between recording sessions as there was last time. Thank you for being patient with me and this project.

Joel
cherylstewart

Post by cherylstewart »

Section 28 PL OK
I notice the tails are getting a little short - 3 seconds vs 5.
:D
cherylstewart

Post by cherylstewart »

Joel - Sorry you have to get a new computer - six years is pretty good. I don't know MACs, but hopefully there wont be a big learning curve.

I mean - Cooper's writing is very complex. If you stop concentrating for a minute your lost. That is a good point, I dont imagine he did expect it to be read out loud. I think your reading of it is perfect.
:clap:
Also I think it must be hard to read. It is a good and classic story and certainly worth the effort, in my opinion.

We will be here when you are ready :D
Cheryl
jkindrick

Post by jkindrick »

Thank you. I'm actually having fun doing this. But I'm also excited to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Admittedly it is a challenge--a lot of deep breaths and editing tricks and a constant use of a dictionary to discover meaning and pronunciation of words that are either foreign for not much used anymore. When you are reading it silently, you can let what you don't know just be overlooked since the pronunciation isn't important and meaning can be picked up in context. But by reading it out loud, my hope is that the listener will be able to gain some insight to a new word without seeing it in print. But you are right. A second or two with the mind wandering, and one can be easily lost when coming back to the story. It will be interesting to see how many people will choose this book to listen to. My guess is not many. I'll promote it on my social sites when it's done though to generate some interests. I've always been a fan of Cooper and I also find the historical subject of this book interesting, but it's definitely not a Huckleberry Finn or Harry Potter. Just curious, does Librivox have a way to tell how often a book is downloaded/listened to?

I will go back and fix the tails when I redo the intros and outros. That is five seconds after I say my name at the end, correct?

Yes, I'm a Mac guy. Been using them since 1993. Just found out that they've sped up their delivery system, maybe because their stores are closed, and the computer will be delivered on Monday. Maybe I can be back in business by next week.

Joel
jkindrick

Post by jkindrick »

OK, Cheryl,

I think I've done it! The last three chapters are uploaded. You actually have 4 extra sections (32 - 35) on the Management Dashboard.

I've also redone the intros and outros for all of the sections, hence the "Ready for Spot PL." Please pay close attention that I labeled the chapters correctly. Also, check to make sure I made five seconds on the end.

My new computer still hasn't arrived. I've been limping this one along to get the project finished. When the computer starts making noise, I just put it away and let the project set. But I think it has come pretty good. I am satisfied.

So, providing that my recordings are good, what is the next process? Am I involved in that or is my duty done for this project?

When will I know that it is compiled and up on LibriVox. Will I be able to have a copy of the completed project?

The artwork for the cover page. How is that chosen?

Enough questions for now. Might have more later.

Thank you,

Joel
cherylstewart

Post by cherylstewart »

Sections 29-30 PL OK
Wow - Can't believe you've read the whole thing, I will try to get to reviewing all of the rest of the chapters today. MaryAnn will be the one who catalogs - as I understand it. She will instruct from here. There is a group who pick the cover art, but if you have a picture to use you can suggest it.
cherylstewart

Post by cherylstewart »

PL notes for all chapters - Joel, I think all of the new intros and the chapter numbers match. There is one problem with the endings - you haven't said " end of". I think that is required - you can appeal to Maryann if you don't want to do it. :D Almost there :P
jkindrick

Post by jkindrick »

Oh. OK. Like I did at the end of the book only for each chapter? So say, "End of..." followed by what I already have. So it would read, "End of Volume..."? OK. I will get to that probably on Sunday or Monday. Shouldn't be too hard, but does that mean I need to go through and change the times again?
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

No need to change the times, you'll only be adding a second or so.

At the end of each section, you say "end of section xx" or "end of chapter xx", whatever matches your intro. That way a listener knows they have reached the end of the section .... maybe they want to stop there before the next section starts on their player ... and then at the end of the book, they get both the "end of section/chapter" and an end of book announcement.

MaryAnn
cherylstewart

Post by cherylstewart »

MaryAnn and Joel - One other thing I wanted to question - The names of the Chapters are just chapter and number, but the second book has the same chapters names as the first - I think this would be confusing to a reader as the book number isn't there it will just appear as chapters 1-13, then chapter 1 again. How about changing the chapter names (title) to book and chapter? :D
jkindrick

Post by jkindrick »

I don't know if this is what you are asking, but at the beginning and ending of each one it does say "Volume 1 Chapter 1" and then later "Volume 2 Chapter 1," etc. "Volume" is the word that Cooper uses.

OK, they've all been reposted with "End of..."

Joel
cherylstewart

Post by cherylstewart »

All sections Pl OK
Congratulations Joel - that was quite an accomplishment and really well done.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
(I was only referring to the what is written in Title section that will show up as the chapter's names when "published".)
jkindrick

Post by jkindrick »

Yea!!! I accomplished it with you, my producer. Thank you. Thank you. I really appreciate your consistent help and oversight. I know wasn't the most time-consistent reader. Thank you for your patience. I think I'm about a year later than I proposed I would be. No excuse. Just life. But I'm happy to have a product to be proud of.

Now I'm kind of a gluten and recently I went to look up another book on LibriVox and I did not see it. So I said to myself, "Do I want to read another one?" And the answer that came back to me was, "Yes." It is a shorter book and I know it will not take me a year to do it. Can I just go through this forum to propose it? To be honest, I forgot how I proposed The Heidenmauer. And whether I go through this forum or not to propose it, can you again be my PL?