[COMPLETE]Multilingual Short Works Collection 022 - Poetry & Prose - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
sonora

Post by sonora »

Hi Sonia!

Thanks a lot for your feedback:)

1. Now it is amplified with 11,55 (the limit after which there would be clipping), it is now 87 db.
2. Disclaimer updated.
3. Pause shortened. (I read the pause between paragraphs should be 1.5 to 3 seconds and went for the longest :)
4. End pause shortened.
5. Correct link: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/msw022_smrtkmotrenka_erben_mch_128kb.mp3

Let me know if there is anything else :)

Martina
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you. Sonia will be back in several days to check this.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

yes I'm back and I checked your corrections, Martina :)
1. Now it is amplified with 11,55 (the limit after which there would be clipping), it is now 87 db.
yes this is fine. :thumbs: 87 is acceptable. To prevent clipping you can also zoom in to the highest peaks in your recordings and highlight them and reduce the volume manually there, then you can even amplify more without clipping. But in this case it's totally fine.
3. Pause shortened. (I read the pause between paragraphs should be 1.5 to 3 seconds and went for the longest :)
:shock: where did you read this ? Well, of course, tastes vary and maybe some people like 3 seconds of pause, I personally though feel like the recording is needlessly dragging on for too long with such long pauses. :mrgreen: I never exceed 2 seconds in my own.

Well, all is good now and you get your first official PL ok. Congrats :birthday: Hopefully many more to come, you're a good reader. :)

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
sonora

Post by sonora »

Hi Sonia!

Thank you for making my day! :))

Anyway, the note about pauses between paragraphs is on this page: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Editing_Audio ('and all silences between paragraphs another duration (e.g. all between 1.5s and 3s)')...

Thanks very much for your comments,
have a nice day!
Martina
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

sonora wrote: August 8th, 2019, 8:45 am Anyway, the note about pauses between paragraphs is on this page: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Editing_Audio ('and all silences between paragraphs another duration (e.g. all between 1.5s and 3s)')...
ah yes, I see...I still think 3 seconds is too long :lol: well this was a very personal description of proceeding, and maybe this user likes 3 seconds, but she said 1.5 - 3, so 3 would be the absolute maximum. I'm quite sure she won't be using 3 seconds either between paragraphs. :?

Well, I hope this won't be your last section for LV and if you try out different things, you may find the best way of proceeding for your own tastes. :)

Sonia
AlejandraCapSi

Post by AlejandraCapSi »

Hi everyone,
I'm new here, therefore if you have any tip or suggestion please don't hesitate.

I'd like to participate with a Neapolitan short story. What do you think about it?

Cheers
Alejandra
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

AlejandraCapSi wrote: August 16th, 2019, 11:55 pm I'm new here, therefore if you have any tip or suggestion please don't hesitate.
I'd like to participate with a Neapolitan short story. What do you think about it?
ottimo ! Mi piacerebbe moltissimo :9: Welcome aboard Alejandra. I see you already passed the one-minute test, so you are all ready to roll. :thumbs:

I would love to hear the Neapolitan story read by a local (you're from Napoli, right ?). This will probably remind me of my holidays when I was a kid, we spent some summers in Sorrento. 8-)

As to the story, you have to make sure it's in the public domain, so we need to read from a scanned version which clearly states the publishing date as being before 1923. Do you have a link to your story ? I always recommend, either Project Gutenberg, here is what they have in Italian: http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/languages/it or internet archive: https://archive.org/ where you can check whether your book is already scanned. They have a lot of scans. :shock:

So my first tip is: please post the link before you start recording ;) it would be a pity if you did all the work and then we find the book is not public domain and we cannot use it :(

Looking forward to your selection. :)

Sonia
AlejandraCapSi

Post by AlejandraCapSi »

Grazie del caldissimo benvenuto!

Sisi I had a look at the previous posts and realised it was wiser looking for a reliable source. http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/57040 that's exactly where I found it ;).
However being totally new to all of this i don't know what the exact procedure, do I have to book a section, start to record and then post it here... :hmm:

Grazie mille
Alejandra

Ps
Ho scelto il brano sugli ubriaconi: Gli ubriachi, pag 47.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

AlejandraCapSi wrote: August 17th, 2019, 7:51 amSisi I had a look at the previous posts and realised it was wiser looking for a reliable source.
brava ! yes, this makes it all much easier. 8-) Your source is good to use. :thumbs:
However being totally new to all of this i don't know what the exact procedure, do I have to book a section, start to record and then post it here... :hmm:
ok, here in this project, no, you don't have to book a section, because everybody can choose the text they like. The worst thing that could happen is that all the sections are full before you finish your recording, but this is not a drama, we will simply start a new collection and you will be the first contribution in that one then. Here for the moment we still have 4 sections open, so unless there is a rush now from other readers, I think you will make it in this one still ;)

But: in other group projects, where you can see the section titles in the Magic Window (MW) in the first post, there indeed you have to "claim" before you record anything. Best to wait until your claim is accepted too. We have to do this because there is a risk that two or more people would record the same section and then we have a problem, as we only can include one. So first claim, get accepted, and then start recording (not here, but in most other projects).
Ho scelto il brano sugli ubriaconi: Gli ubriachi, pag 47.
:lol: sounds like a fun section to start with. Are there that many in Napoli ? I see there is a lot of direct speech, that will probably be fun to record. Looking forward to it.

So in the first post you can see how to say the intro disclaimer, and how to correctly name your file. When you finish recording and editing, you can upload it like you did your test, only this time the MC to choose is ToddHW, so it will go into his folder.

Also since it's your first recording, you could tell me what reader name you want to use. This can be your forum name, or something else, as you wish. I will then open a personal reader page for you, where all your projects will be listed.

Have fun recording the drunks :mrgreen:

Sonia
AlejandraCapSi

Post by AlejandraCapSi »

Oh that was quick! grazie.
sounds like a fun section to start with. Are there that many in Napoli ? I see there is a lot of direct speech, that will probably be fun to record. Looking forward to it.
I hope so, I'll try my best with that archaic style, it seems challenging, but challenging is good :)
I like the drinking topic in literature, I also would like to do London's "John Barleycorn" at a certain point :)
Also since it's your first recording, you could tell me what reader name you want to use. This can be your forum name, or something else, as you wish. I will then open a personal reader page for you, where all your projects will be listed.
Super cool, If i got it right you mean that it would be the same name I have to use when reading !? In that case I'd like "Alejandra Tuono Capriolo".

Grazie mille, a presto!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

AlejandraCapSi wrote: August 17th, 2019, 10:12 amSuper cool, If i got it right you mean that it would be the same name I have to use when reading !? In that case I'd like "Alejandra Tuono Capriolo".
yes, it should be what you usually say in the introduction "read by Alejandra....". For example, my forum name is Kitty, but my reader name is Sonia, that's my real name and that is what I say in my introduction disclaimers.

Alejandra is not really a common Italian spelling. Is this a Neapolitan variant ? Just curious, as I love anything linguistically intriguing.
I hope so, I'll try my best with that archaic style, it seems challenging, but challenging is good :)
:lol: yes the old texts are often challening with grammar, style and vocabulary. But I like that too. But please, to make it easier for me as a listener, don't speak too fast, or I will have a hard time following along with the text :help:

Sonia
AlejandraCapSi

Post by AlejandraCapSi »

Hey Sonia,
I did it, it's something like 25 minutes, I'll fix it and upload it tomorrow. I hope it won't be too fast, i just read your message. Is there a way to get notified when my messages get answers?

I'm a linguist, therefore i totally understand it. I'm Neapolitan-Guatemalan that's why Alejandra ;)

Also alejandra tuono capriolo it be then ;)

Talk to you tomorrow ;)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

AlejandraCapSi wrote: August 17th, 2019, 4:45 pmI did it, it's something like 25 minutes, I'll fix it and upload it tomorrow.
I predict after editing it will be much shorter ;) By now you will realise that the editing part is the biggest part of any recording. For me personally, editing a section usually takes three times as much as the initial recording time took. So your first section was really quite ambitious already. Good luck with the editing and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.
I hope it won't be too fast, i just read your message. Is there a way to get notified when my messages get answers?
I thought the default status was to get notified by email for every new post that is made in a project where you are subscribed to. You can have a look in your user control panel:

> click on the arrow next to your name in the upper right corner, you can get into User Control Panel there
> then click on the tab "Board Preferences"
> choose "Edit Notification options" in the left column
> I would suggest, tick the "email box" with "Someone replies to a topic to which you are subscribed" and "Someone sends you a private message". You can tick all the boxes if you wish, but I think if you have those two ticked, you will get the relevant notifications to the projects you are actively participating in.
> then also check if you messages don't land in the Spam folder of your email ;) if they do, just mark them as NOT SPAM and from then on I think you will receive them just fine.

Try it out and let me know if you get the next notification in this thread.
I'm a linguist, therefore i totally understand it. I'm Neapolitan-Guatemalan that's why Alejandra ;)
ah cool ! Thanks for clarifying. :9: Yes it looks more Spanish, that's what I first thought. Now it makes sense :lol: You probably always had to explain your spelling during your school years in Italy :mrgreen: I know the feeling, I was in the same situation...

see you soon !

Sonia
AlejandraCapSi

Post by AlejandraCapSi »

I predict after editing it will be much shorter
you were so right, it's like 15 minutes now! Here is the edited version, I hope it's ok.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/Ubriachi.mp3
> click on the arrow next to your name in the upper right corner, you can get into User Control Panel there
> then click on the tab "Board Preferences"
> choose "Edit Notification options" in the left column
> I would suggest, tick the "email box" with "Someone replies to a topic to which you are subscribed" and "Someone sends you a private message". You can tick all the boxes if you wish, but I think if you have those two ticked, you will get the relevant notifications to the projects you are actively participating in.
> then also check if you messages don't land in the Spam folder of your email ;) if they do, just mark them as NOT SPAM and from then on I think you will receive them just fine.
Thank you so much for the explanation, it was super accurate and it should work by now.
ah cool ! Thanks for clarifying. :9: Yes it looks more Spanish, that's what I first thought. Now it makes sense :lol: You probably always had to explain your spelling during your school years in Italy :mrgreen: I know the feeling, I was in the same situation...
You totally got it, it still happens when I introduce myself here. :roll: have you studied here in Italy?

Salutiiiiiiii
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

AlejandraCapSi wrote: August 18th, 2019, 8:32 amyou were so right, it's like 15 minutes now! Here is the edited version, I hope it's ok.
I know from own experience how much "rubbish" gets cut in the editing process :lol:

please always give me the exact length of the recording, so we can check that it all uploaded correctly. I have now 16:23 minutes, is that correct ?
also for the filename, you would have to use the example in the first post: msw022_[work's title]_[author's last name]_[your initials]_128kb

so it would be: msw022_ubriachi_giacomo_atc_128kb
But no need to reupload for the moment, let me check first in case I find other errors. :)

Can you still give me some keywords that describe your story ?

Also here is your brand-new reader page: https://librivox.org/reader/13553
As you can see, this project is already listed. If you click on Reader Section Details, you see all your claimed sections listed and what status they are right now. So you can always check if you have PL notes or if you still have to read some sections that you maybe forgot about ;)
Thank you so much for the explanation, it was super accurate and it should work by now.
well if it works, you should get an email notification for this post now :mrgreen:
You totally got it, it still happens when I introduce myself here. :roll: have you studied here in Italy?
no I learnt Italian in highschool here in Luxembourg, but that's been many years and I'm totally out of practice with the grammar. But I still understand it well enough I think.

Ok, gonna listen to your section now, stay tuned !

Sonia