COMPLETE [Fortnightly Poem]Ye Goatherd Gods by Sir Philip Sidney - dl

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

David,
Most certainly a second reader would be appropriate -- whether another natural human being or in the form of a digitally altered voice.

So, SURE, find yourself a reading partner and have at it!
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

lymiewithpurpose and I would like to try a duet, if you will. May I upload and post my portion here? lymiewithpurpose will then add the second voice and finish the editing for the completed project. Then it will be ready for the PL.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

KevinS wrote: May 9th, 2019, 4:11 am lymiewithpurpose and I would like to try a duet, if you will. May I upload and post my portion here? lymiewithpurpose will then add the second voice and finish the editing for the completed project. Then it will be ready for the PL.
Certainly! I/we will be eager to see the various stages of your work.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

williamjones wrote: May 9th, 2019, 4:13 am
KevinS wrote: May 9th, 2019, 4:11 am lymiewithpurpose and I would like to try a duet, if you will. May I upload and post my portion here? lymiewithpurpose will then add the second voice and finish the editing for the completed project. Then it will be ready for the PL.
Certainly! I/we will be eager to see the various stages of your work.
Thank you!
brucek

Post by brucek »

aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Bill, you may want to take our the "A DOUBLE SESTINA by Sir Philip Sidney (1554-1586)" at the beginning of the poem, the title has already been stated in the intro. :)
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
msfry

Post by msfry »

Hi, Bill. I went ahead and proof listened your recording and found the following questionable items:

:42 starrey, you say star
:47 repeat "vouchsafe your"
1:25 I that was once delighted, was is missing
1:33 so darkened amy, you say am (perhaps a typo in the text)
1:38 Hart-broken so y that molehilles, y is missing, perhaps an extraneous letter?????
4:06 I have myself in sight of mountaines, you say hate
4:26 In straightnes past the Cedars of the forrests, you say and
5:13 wretch-ed, you say wretcht

Did you type this poem in yourself, or copy and paste? The former could explain some typos.

I question the name of the poem. Is it "Double Sestina"? "A Double Sestina"? "Ye Goatherd Gods"? Or some combination thereof? It should match everywhere, yes? And not be repeated in the quoted poem.

This is a hard poem to cipher. Two lonely guys, ditched by the same girl, sitting in the valley lamenting together???? Or are they in separate valleys? Were they ever dating her? At the same time? Or is she just a figment of their imagination (an astronomy muse) as they play their tunes together to the stary nights in the rarified air of the alps?
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Thank you Michele,

I typed this in from the IA page images.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

There are difficulties with most any manuscript from this time. Shall I post a modern 'translation' here for the fun of it? (I don't want to confuse matters, though it may actually help quite a bit.)

What's strangest is the line "Shamed I have my selfe in sight of mountaines," as many editions use "hate" instead of "have." Myself, I prefer "have." Also, I would suggest "Shamèd" so as to maintain the largely eleven-syllable lines.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Here is my part alone. lymiewithpurpose will take the ball from here (unless I've already fumbled!) Wish us luck!

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/sestina_sidney_ks_128kb.mp3

3:25 (though more to come!)
skipg

Post by skipg »

Can't wait to hear the duo version!

I love the clever tumbling of the six words here, sestinas are wonderful. This was a fun read, thanks for the introduction to this poem. Crossing my fingers that I get over this spring cold in time to record a version myself!
skip
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

KevinS wrote: May 9th, 2019, 10:21 am There are difficulties with most any manuscript from this time. Shall I post a modern 'translation' here for the fun of it? (I don't want to confuse matters, though it may actually help quite a bit.)

What's strangest is the line "Shamed I have my selfe in sight of mountaines," as many editions use "hate" instead of "have." Myself, I prefer "have." Also, I would suggest "Shamèd" so as to maintain the largely eleven-syllable lines.
Kevin,
I perused several versions with modernized spellings and, as you said, it helped quite a bit. Go ahead and post one you found if you wish.
As to "Shamèd", poems in the sestina form were supposed to highly regular in scansion - feet per line and type of feet. Iambic pentameter being the most common, so I agree with you.
And, as to Hate/Have... both make good sense! In William Empsom's book "Seven Types of Ambiguity" (and their effects on English poetry), (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Types_of_Ambiguity) posits that just this type of ambiguity were consciously intended and frequent. I'd put Hate/Have in the 3rd category.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

williamjones wrote: May 10th, 2019, 6:11 am
KevinS wrote: May 9th, 2019, 10:21 am There are difficulties with most any manuscript from this time. Shall I post a modern 'translation' here for the fun of it? (I don't want to confuse matters, though it may actually help quite a bit.)

Kevin,
I perused several versions with modernized spellings and, as you said, it helped quite a bit. Go ahead and post one you found if you wish.
As to "Shamèd", poems in the sestina form were supposed to highly regular in scansion - feet per line and type of feet. Iambic pentameter being the most common, so I agree with you.
And, as to Hate/Have... both make good sense! In William Empsom's book "Seven Types of Ambiguity" (and their effects on English poetry), (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Types_of_Ambiguity) posits that just this type of ambiguity were consciously intended and frequent. I'd put Hate/Have in the 3rd category.
My own writing is filled with ambiguity, but I can still tell the reader, quite truthfully, to trust me completely.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

KevinS wrote: May 9th, 2019, 1:38 pm Here is my part alone. lymiewithpurpose will take the ball from here (unless I've already fumbled!) Wish us luck!

Kevin, this file is only 11 seconds long (the librivox intro) not 3+ minutes.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

williamjones wrote: May 10th, 2019, 6:19 am
KevinS wrote: May 9th, 2019, 1:38 pm Here is my part alone. lymiewithpurpose will take the ball from here (unless I've already fumbled!) Wish us luck!

Kevin, this file is only 11 seconds long (the librivox intro) not 3+ minutes.
Yes, sorry to add to any confusion. This was needed for the introduction for the dual reading. I think that you'll find soon the completed work from lymiewithpurpose. Gosh, but she did a good job! Wait til you hear it!
Last edited by KevinS on May 10th, 2019, 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.