[COMPLETE][POETRY] The Poems of Madison Cawein, Volume 3 by Madison Cawein - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
irondog70

Post by irondog70 »

Hi Larry,

No grudge held.

Eventually a Poetry-Coffee meeting would take place and we'll have the chance to amuse each other over this issue or others, more fun and entertaining. :)

I'll be myself regardless, and I know you'll signal when my interpretations are off (in your opinion). Lol!

Cheers!
Cornel.
Cornel Nemes
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ok, Jordan, Larry and Cornel, I read this whole discussion now and also listened to the poem "The Haunted House". Concerning the laugh at the end, I will have to agree with Jordan and Larry, and it’s best cut out.

But please, Cornel, it should not be seen as a kind of “censoring” from the side of LibriVox. I think you will agree that your interpretation throughout the poem is very personal and very outgoing, and neither Jordan nor Larry have censored any of that. It’s your interpretation, regardless whether it’s what Cawein had in mind, or what me or any other listener have in mind when they read it. You're the reader so that’s your choice and we accept that. If someone takes offense to your interpretation and thinks they can do it better, then they simply have to register here and do their own recording of it ;)

Let me explain, why the laugh is a different matter altogether. It would come under the LV rule “don’t change what the author wrote”. In this case, Cawein did not include a laugh in his text. If for example the final line had been (I invent now): “...and he laughed while he walked. Ha ha ha ha ha” (End of poem). Then you would have been absolutely free to read this “ha ha ha ha” either as “boring as you wanted” or as “maniacal as you wanted”, depending on your temperament and how you wanted the poem to feel like.

But he did not include a written “haha” line, so in this case, you changed the text, you basically invented a line that wasn’t there. It’s not censoring if the DPL points out that you read a line that is not there. Jordan would also have flagged it if your eyes had by mistake slipped to the next poem and out of oversight you had read a line from a different poem (it happens). Then you would have had to cut this line as well, and you cannot really call that "censoring an interpretation", it’s only "correcting an error", and that’s the job of the DPL, to check whether all the lines are there, and no lines that should not be there.

I can give you a good example to illustrate this from one of the poems I read a while ago, if I’m not mistaken it was even a Cawein poem as well. Can’t remember the exact wording, so I’m paraphrasing the lines. It was about an owl and in one line the owl was speaking and the author wrote “who, who, who are you ?”. Here I chose to read the “who” and “you” a bit like the hooting of an owl. So “whooo, are youuuu”. And that is totally fine and would be acceptable. What would not have been acceptable is if the author had written: “And the owl told me: Can I show you the way ?” and I would have read “And the owl told me (hoo-hoo, hoo-hoo = hooting sound done by me) Can I show you the way (ho-hoooo)” But I could have said: “Can I show youuuu the way” to make it sound as if an owl was speaking. There is a difference because in the first example I was editing the text and inserting words that are not in the original. I hope you see this difference.

You are still new around here, so you don’t know Larry (or me for that matter) long enough, but we are both very active and very outgoing (and over the top :lol: ) in the drama forum, so if anybody can understand interpretation it’s us two, believe me. You should hear Larry’s stage directions in some of the plays, he is not a “boring narrator” but really part of the play when he reads his lines. So your judgement of him here of being censoring is hurtful and quite unfair in his case.

Sonia
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

irondog70 wrote: April 28th, 2019, 10:51 am Hi,
Here are the corrections for 222 and 223;
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/poemscawein3_222_cawein_128kb.mp3
Duration: 2:37

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/poemscawein3_223_cawein_128kb.mp3
Duration: 1:51
irondog70 wrote: April 28th, 2019, 8:33 pm Here's my 19 The Haunted House with the, censored, laughing part removed as, unreasonably, requested:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/poemscawein3_019_cawein_128kb.mp3
Duration: 4:16.
Thank you. :shock:
All three are PL OK.
Jordan

Alcohol and Maths don't mix. So never drink and derive.
irondog70

Post by irondog70 »

Thank you. :)
Cornel Nemes
irondog70

Post by irondog70 »

Thank you Sonia for taking the time to bring more arguments and decent reasons to the Awesome Laughing. :P
I have and I will comply with the Authority (Admins), because I am observant to rules and discipline.( A civilized society/organization must have certain rules, beside the common sense, in order to properly function. I am fully aware how the same debate/argument can end with a different ruling, according to the subjectivity of the Justices or of the Jurors :lol: ) )
Reading and dramatic interpretation are different and alike in many aspects.
I'll be open to advice and suggestions from all of you, for the future.
Please, don't misjudge me if I'll "talk back" many times! It'll be in a very respectful way. :)

Thanks again to all of you, for taking the time to make it clearer,
Cornel. :D
Cornel Nemes
brightwriter419

Post by brightwriter419 »

Hi, Larry!

I'd like to claim sections 18, 26, 61, 65, 74, 130, 131, 134, 140, 174, 191, and 205.

Matt
TroubleATM

Post by TroubleATM »

I would like to claim 115-117 please.
Aleacia Messiah
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

brightwriter419 wrote: April 30th, 2019, 5:43 pm Hi, Larry!

I'd like to claim sections 18, 26, 61, 65, 74, 130, 131, 134, 140, 174, 191, and 205.

Matt
Thank you!
I've put you in for all of these.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

TroubleATM wrote: April 30th, 2019, 9:54 pm I would like to claim 115-117 please.
Welcome aboard!
~ Larry
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

I wanted to get my work on this project started so here is Section 96:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/poemscawein3_096_cawein_128kb.mp3

Run time is 1:51

Take care,

Greg
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

GregGiordano wrote: May 1st, 2019, 10:06 pm I wanted to get my work on this project started so here is Section 96:

Take care,

Greg
Thanks!
In the MW Ready for PL
~ Larry
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

silverquill wrote: May 1st, 2019, 10:41 pm
GregGiordano wrote: May 1st, 2019, 10:06 pm I wanted to get my work on this project started so here is Section 96:

Take care,

Greg
Thanks!
In the MW Ready for PL
Thanks, Larry!

Take care,

Greg
Subconscious

Post by Subconscious »

Hello. May I claim sections 4, 5, 6?
According to Confucius, "i hear and i forget ; i see and i remember ; i do and i understand."
MellowSquid

Post by MellowSquid »

ahoy-hoy, may I have:

22 The Old Inn
23 The Mill-Water
24 The Dream

Thank you!
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Subconscious wrote: May 2nd, 2019, 8:04 am Hello. May I claim sections 4, 5, 6?
Thanks. All yours!
~ Larry