[COMPLETE] Report On The Investigation Into Russian Interference In The 2016 Presidential Election - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

At the very start of the intro and in the outro ("End of"), say the LibriVox project section number. This way the listener can quickly know whether it's the section they want to listen to if they "page through" their audio files and just hear the first 2 seconds of each file.
School fiction: David Blaize
Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
ljarrow

Post by ljarrow »

Thanks much for the answer, Tricia! By your answer, I get the idea that on any future project, it will be the Librivox section that is wanted, not anything in the text that also happens to be called a section.
ljarrow

Post by ljarrow »

Hi All,

Another question if you don't mind. I've read all the instructions for newbies that I can find but I still don't have a clear idea of what the requirements are for the loudness of the finished file. Since many people are recording sections that will all be joined together, is there some way that I can be sure that my file will have the same loudness levels as the files recorded by other readers. I found the part about downloading the replaygain plug in for Audacity, but can someone point me to where I can find some guidance to determine whether my file is the right level? I'm in the editing process now. Thanks so much in advance.

PS what I'm asking for is some info like - peaks should be at -3 db, or some RMS value like ACX uses, or some other standard that folks use here.
KIBBONAFIDE

Post by KIBBONAFIDE »

ljarrow wrote: April 30th, 2019, 11:24 am Hi All,

Another question if you don't mind. I've read all the instructions for newbies that I can find but I still don't have a clear idea of what the requirements are for the loudness of the finished file. Since many people are recording sections that will all be joined together, is there some way that I can be sure that my file will have the same loudness levels as the files recorded by other readers. I found the part about downloading the replaygain plug in for Audacity, but can someone point me to where I can find some guidance to determine whether my file is the right level? I'm in the editing process now. Thanks so much in advance.

PS what I'm asking for is some info like - peaks should be at -3 db, or some RMS value like ACX uses, or some other standard that folks use here.
Hello!

Since I notice you haven’t done your 1-minute test so you should start there, that will answer most of those types of questions!

https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test

To answer your specific question I believe it’s between 86-92 with an ideal of 89.

Thank you!
Josh Kibbey
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

You can download Checker which looks for most of the common technical issues with LibriVox recordings. Here is the page on it: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Checker

If you want to increase the volume inside audacity, you can use the amplify tool under the edit menu. Does that help? If you need more information I’d be happy to continue helping you over PM. Other, more experienced volunteers might have other, more helpful resources. :)
Elsie :9:
Like Sweden and coming of age stories? Read for Pelle the Conqueror
Like travelogues and Anthony Trollope? Read for The West Indies and the Spanish Main
Shadowland: October, 1919
ljarrow

Post by ljarrow »

Thanks Josh and Elsie. It sounds like the checker file is just what I was looking for.
ljarrow

Post by ljarrow »

ljarrow

Post by ljarrow »

I have a "style" question for the group. My section contained quoted tweets and other public utterances by Trump. I'm concerned that I might have gotten a little carried away in my "dramatic interpretation" as I tried to read them as if I were a loudmouth cretin. Is this too over the top? Should I be reading them in the reportorial style, as the rest of the text? What are you folks doing. I don't want to be a "disgrace" here, ya know?
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

Well, I’ll just do the standard PL for whatever audio you produce which does not include style. As the DPL, my job is to look for any mistakes or technical issues with the audio. The BCs might have a comment, but otherwise it shouldn’t matter.
Like travelogues and Anthony Trollope? Read for The West Indies and the Spanish Main
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

Welllll, here we have a Challenge Piece! *Smile*
Thank you in advance for the PL ... I don't envy you this task (although certainly, if you become [understandably] overwhelmed with this DPL project, I will be happy to lend assistance, per request.)

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/report2016electioninterference_10_mueller_128kb.mp3 coming in at an hour and 7 minutes ... whereby I am definitely tired of hearing my own voice. *wink*

Please let me know of any required changes.

Also, just to answer the question, I used reportorial style throughout ... although it was quite tempting to shade my tone. *Laugh*

Regards,
~Angelique
ljarrow

Post by ljarrow »

LOL, Elsie! So I think that PL means "proof listener" thus is DPL "Director of Proof Listening"? But, what are BCs? Is there a glossary of Librivox slang so I can be in the know?
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

ljarrow wrote: April 30th, 2019, 4:55 pm LOL, Elsie! So I think that PL means "proof listener" thus is DPL "Director of Proof Listening"? But, what are BCs? Is there a glossary of Librivox slang so I can be in the know?
Oh sorry! You are correct that PL is a proof listener. A DPL is the dedicated proof listener (i.e. proof listens all the audio for the project). BCs are book coordinators. They are the ones who organize the project and volunteers while also keeping the MW (magic window - the window with all the reading sections) updated. They have the final say on most things. Usually, there is only one BC per project, but since this is such a large project, there are two. Also, there is an MC (meta coordinator) who creates the MW and catalogs the project when all sections are done and PL OK (okayed by a PL). You also upload all your audio to their folder on the librivox server.

For this project, I am the DPL.

TriciaG is the MC.

stinssd and ktzn are the BCs.

You can find a glossary for all of LibriVox's acronyms and slang here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Glossary

Does this help?
ljarrow

Post by ljarrow »

Totally helps! Many thanks.

elsieselwyn wrote: April 30th, 2019, 5:27 pm
ljarrow wrote: April 30th, 2019, 4:55 pm LOL, Elsie! So I think that PL means "proof listener" thus is DPL "Director of Proof Listening"? But, what are BCs? Is there a glossary of Librivox slang so I can be in the know?
Oh sorry! You are correct that PL is a proof listener. A DPL is the dedicated proof listener (i.e. proof listens all the audio for the project). BCs are book coordinators. They are the ones who organize the project and volunteers while also keeping the MW (magic window - the window with all the reading sections) updated. They have the final say on most things. Usually, there is only one BC per project, but since this is such a large project, there are two. Also, there is an MC (meta coordinator) who creates the MW and catalogs the project when all sections are done and PL OK (okayed by a PL). You also upload all your audio to their folder on the librivox server.

For this project, I am the DPL.

TriciaG is the MC.

stinssd and ktzn are the BCs.

You can find a glossary for all of LibriVox's acronyms and slang here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Glossary

Does this help?
stinssd

Post by stinssd »

ktzn wrote: April 28th, 2019, 8:06 am
JenniferFour wrote: April 28th, 2019, 8:04 am I have a thought about the legal cites. The direction is:

"18 USC §12 (a)" read as "Title 18 United States Code Section 12 Subsection A"

Would it be possible to abbreviate that, after it has been read in long form at least once per section to "18 USC Section 12 subsection A"? That is accurate and would flow a lot better.

In the same vein, CFR could be read as "Code of Federal Regulations" the first time in a section and then shortened to CFR after that.
That's a good idea. Sam, what say you?
Yes, I think either the long version or the abbreviated version would be fine.
Samuel Stinson

"And furthermore, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh." (Ecclesiastes 12:12, ASV)

"My tongue is the pen of a ready writer." (Psalms 45:1, ASV)
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

BurgundyGrace wrote: April 30th, 2019, 2:20 pm Welllll, here we have a Challenge Piece! *Smile*
Thank you in advance for the PL ... I don't envy you this task (although certainly, if you become [understandably] overwhelmed with this DPL project, I will be happy to lend assistance, per request.)

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/report2016electioninterference_10_mueller_128kb.mp3 coming in at an hour and 7 minutes ... whereby I am definitely tired of hearing my own voice. *wink*

Please let me know of any required changes.

Also, just to answer the question, I used reportorial style throughout ... although it was quite tempting to shade my tone. *Laugh*

Regards,
Thank you!