COMPLETE: Short Nonfiction Collection, Vol. 065 - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Veggrower

Post by Veggrower »

Thanks, Craig, for the very prompt PL :)

Garth
david wales

Post by david wales »

• Title of the work.
• The Methods of Mr. Sellyer; A Book Store Study by Stephen Leacock
• Author of the work.
• Stephen Leacock
• The link to your file you copied from the uploader.
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf065_methodsofmrsellyer_leacock_dw_128kb.mp3

• A URL link to the source from which you read
https://www.fadedpage.com/showbook.php?pid=20171136
• Length in minutes.
• 16.30 minutes
Peace, David
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

david wales wrote: May 24th, 2019, 4:10 pm • Title of the work.
• The Methods of Mr. Sellyer; A Book Store Study by Stephen Leacock
• Author of the work.
• Stephen Leacock
• The link to your file you copied from the uploader.
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf065_methodsofmrsellyer_leacock_dw_128kb.mp3

• A URL link to the source from which you read
https://www.fadedpage.com/showbook.php?pid=20171136
• Length in minutes.
• 16.30 minutes
Thank you, David, for this humorous essay on the art of book selling! :) Very enjoyable!
david wales

Post by david wales »

And thank you, Sue,, for putting this collection together. Another librivox gem!
Peace, David
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks David, that was a good story for any book buyer or seller :D

A few errors noted.

1:34 The sales manager of the biggest book store for ten blocks cannot be deceived in a customer. You forgot to read book

11:32 “Yes,” said Mr. Sellyer, and his face almost broke into a laugh as he answered, “here’s an excellent thing, ‘Golden Dreams’—quite the most humorous book of the season—simply screaming—my wife was reading it aloud only yesterday. She could hardly read for laughing.”
You seem to have the habit of adding oh and ah where you want into the text – it adds to the story but isn’t in the story. Here you added Oh! Before yes – and again before here’s an excellent -

13:58 “Yes, sir,” said Mr. Sellyer, professional again in a moment. “Epictetus? You read Ah, yes sir and again in the same paragraph

14:40 “No thanks,” I said. - you read Ah, no thanks
Those were just a few of the insertions.

What do you think of those Sue?

Craig
The world needs some positive fanaticism.

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaard on Christianity
Kierkegaards Challenge
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

soupy wrote: May 25th, 2019, 5:39 am Thanks David, that was a good story for any book buyer or seller :D

A few errors noted.

1:34 The sales manager of the biggest book store for ten blocks cannot be deceived in a customer. You forgot to read book

11:32 “Yes,” said Mr. Sellyer, and his face almost broke into a laugh as he answered, “here’s an excellent thing, ‘Golden Dreams’—quite the most humorous book of the season—simply screaming—my wife was reading it aloud only yesterday. She could hardly read for laughing.”
You seem to have the habit of adding oh and ah where you want into the text – it adds to the story but isn’t in the story. Here you added Oh! Before yes – and again before here’s an excellent -

13:58 “Yes, sir,” said Mr. Sellyer, professional again in a moment. “Epictetus? You read Ah, yes sir and again in the same paragraph

14:40 “No thanks,” I said. - you read Ah, no thanks
Those were just a few of the insertions.

What do you think of those Sue?

Craig
Oh my...

First, my thanks to both Craig and David -- a fine reader and a fine proof listener! What would LibriVox do without the likes of such dedicated people as you both are! As I've said before, the fact that Craig takes the time and effort to proof listen against the actual printed text is beyond the call of duty but ads immensurably to the value of the Nonfiction Collection.

I listened to David's audio read yesterday morning while I was having my coffee & skimming the morning news on my computer (basically doing what passes for "reading" for a lot of people nowadays). What I did would be classified as a "Standard" proof listening by LibriVox standards. I enjoyed the story and found nothing wrong with the reading. Of course, I would not have been aware of any small slips or additions such as an added "oh" or "ah" because I was not following along with the text (word perfect proofing).
--------------------------------

If the Nonfiction Collection adhered to "word perfect" proofing, then these small things would need correction; since we adhere to "standard," then in my capacity as BC, I say we should ask David to make the correction about the missing word ("book") let the rest of this reading pass this time and ask David to be a little more careful to adhere strictly to text in the future.

--------------

On a lighter note, what has run through my mind since listening yesterday to Sellyer's humorous tale of book selling yesterday was Epictetus. I kept thinking "I know I've seen mention of Epictetus lately in a book, but where?" And then it came to me: "Ah yes, Marie Kondo and her philosophy of tidy-ing up." The silly book that recommends hiding your bookshelves in the closet! Thankfully, a book I checked out of the public library and didn't waste my money on a bookstore!

However, that didn't quite end my thoughts on Epictetus. "We must have a copy of Epictetus around the house somewhere," I thought to myself, and headed towards my husband's study. And ah yes, there it was, on the shelf (The Stoic and Epicurean Philosophers, Epicurus, Epictetus, Lucretius, and Marcus Aurelius), sitting next to the 2-volume edition of Euripides!
soupy

Post by soupy »

Sue, you and your husband would be professors in bookstores :D

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
Grothmann

Post by Grothmann »

Hello again --

A short essay--

A Boy's Essay On Girls
By Unknown
Read by Dale Grothmann
Time 1:20

Audio File at -
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf065_boysessayongirls_unknown_dg_128kb.mp3

Text at --
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/21196

Thanks
Dale
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Grothmann wrote: May 25th, 2019, 2:52 pm Hello again --

A short essay--

A Boy's Essay On Girls
By Unknown
Read by Dale Grothmann
Time 1:20

Thanks
Dale
Hi Dale, Thank you for your contribution to volume 65! :)
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks Dale :D

One error noted.

1:10 they al-ways now their lessons bettern boys. you read have

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
Grothmann

Post by Grothmann »

Thank you for catching that, Craig.

Corrected and reloaded.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf065_boysessayongirls_unknown_dg_128kb.mp3

Thanks again
Dale
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks Dale.

PLOK :thumbs:

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
david wales

Post by david wales »

Hi Craig and Sue,

Oh my, thanks so much for your careful reading of my recording. I have corrected the store/book store section and uploaded. I will take advantage of your acceptance of my additional ahs and ohs and will endeavor in the future not to insert them. I guess I get caught up in the text and begin to add my own idiosyncratic elocutionary peculiarities. Perhaps just as well that I'm tending now to record nonfiction where I don't think I tend to do this, or at least not as much. :roll: And we haven't a single copy of Epictetus in the house. My husband read the Marie Kondo book last year and "kondoed" his part of the house; now folds his sox and underwear most peculiarly. But I refused to let him have a go at the book cases! Why in God's name would you want to hide your books in a closet? :hmm: :roll: Besides we have so many books that it would take an enormous closet to hold them. I don't do closets anymore.

16.31 duration
Peace, David
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

david wales wrote: May 27th, 2019, 5:33 am Hi Craig and Sue,

Oh my, thanks so much for your careful reading of my recording. I have corrected the store/book store section and uploaded. I will take advantage of your acceptance of my additional ahs and ohs and will endeavor in the future not to insert them. I guess I get caught up in the text and begin to add my own idiosyncratic elocutionary peculiarities. Perhaps just as well that I'm tending now to record nonfiction where I don't think I tend to do this, or at least not as much. :roll: And we haven't a single copy of Epictetus in the house. My husband read the Marie Kondo book last year and "kondoed" his part of the house; now folds his sox and underwear most peculiarly. But I refused to let him have a go at the book cases! Why in God's name would you want to hide your books in a closet? :hmm: :roll: Besides we have so many books that it would take an enormous closet to hold them. I don't do closets anymore.

16.31 duration
David, re: your husband. It's a phase they go through.
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks David. Your reading is now PLOK :thumbs:

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge