[COMPLETE]World's Story 7: Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

The World’s Story Volume VII: Germany, the Netherlands and Switzerland by Eva March Tappan (1854 - 1930).

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project https://librivox.org/the-worlds-story-volume-vii-germany-the-netherlands-and-switzerland-by-eva-march-tappan/
This is the seventh volume of the 15-volume series of <i>The World’s Story: a history of the World in story, song and art</i>, edited by Eva March Tappan. Each book is a compilation of selections from prose literature, poetry and pictures and offers a comprehensive presentation of the world's history, art and culture, from the early times till the beginning of the 20th century. Topics in Part VII include the stories from the Nibelungen saga of the Germans, masterpieces of the Dutch Painters and the famous apple-shooting episode from Schiller's drama William Tell. ( Sonia)
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen. Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/worldsstoryhisto07tapp/page/n12
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ============================================
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:

START of recording (Intro)
    • For long sections, use the full Librivox disclaimer / For short sections, use the abbreviated LibriVox disclaimer. I will note down the sections which need the full disclaimer in the MW.
    • Full disclaimer: “Section [number] of Germany, the Netherlands and Switzerland. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org
      If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      Say:
      “The World’s Story Volume VII: Germany, the Netherlands and Switzerland, edited by Eva March Tappan. Section [number]. [Title] by [author]” (as stated in the MW)
    • Short disclaimer: "Section [number] of Germany, the Netherlands and Switzerland, read for LibriVox.org by [your name]. [Title] by [author] (as stated in the MW)

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of Section [number] This recording is in the public domain.”
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of The World’s Story Volume VII: Germany, the Netherlands and Switzerland, edited by Eva March Tappan."
      There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    • AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      worldstory_volume07_###_tappan_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ### is the section number (e.g. worldstory_volume07_001_tappan_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Kitty
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Finally the next installment of the World Series is launched ! We're travelling through Germany, the Netherlands and Switzerland this time :)

As in the previous books, for those of you who are new to the project, some special notes for this project:

1) I would like to have the footnotes included. Just put them after the sentence of the footnote marker, wherever you think it fits well. Say: “Footnote - [read footnote] - End of Footnote”. This is for pure footnotes, not for the editor's intros. Please read those the way they are written in the text.

2) the explanations to the illustrations will again be included. They have their special sections. Please include every detail from the title, including, painter, time, or whatever is written in the book. Basically everything that is written in the MW. And please also include the line "photograph/painting, page xx" at the end of the title.

3) I have noted down in the MW where to read the long LV disclaimer. All sections under 3 pages long can use the short disclaimer. Check the first post on how to read the intros.

And this time we have two drama excerpts from Schiller's Wilhelm Tell (yes, the famous scene where Tell shoots the apple from his boy's head is included - I wonder whether they really perform that on stage :shock: the actor must be a good archer as well). For the first excerpt I need 16 voices total, so I hope our drama lovers will help out here aplenty. Most of the characters are male Swiss, but as always, this is gender-neutral.

As in the previous books, please say your voice credit this way:

For section 90: "recording by Sonia as the Narrator, Stoofy as Walter, Todd as William Tell, Foon as Friesshardt, Jim Locke as Leuth, Aaron White as the Sacristan, TJ Burns as Rosselmann, Alan Mapstone as Furst, Nemo as Stauffacher, Eva Davis as Melchthal, Sandra as the Peasants, Monika as the Women, Frédéric Surget as Harras, Tomas Peter as Gessler, Devorah Allen as Bertha and Philip Watson as Rudenz" - Special note for "Women" and "Peasants": please include the one sentence on p. 504, spoken by "Many Voices".

For Section 91: "recording by Sonia as the Narrator, Jim Locke as William Tell and Tomas Peter as the Fisherman"

Thanks

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

and some of you wanted me to choose sections for them, so here are your parts (as always, if you are not happy with my choice, you can always switch, as long as sections are available :) )

Sandra, two poems for you:

> 17. The Lorelei
> 41. The Queen of Prussia's ride

Foon, a few Dutch sections for you, thank you for helping with the pronunciations :9: :

> 67. The escape of Hugo de Groot
> 71. The Netherlands Part IV: Little stories of Netherland artists: Historical note
> 74. Anton Vandyck
> 76. The Night Watch, by Rembrandt van Ryn (painting)
> 80. Contrary land
> 83. The beloved Queen Wilhelmina
> 90. and the role of the nasty watchman Friesshardt :mrgreen:

Tomas, as always, a selection from all ranges, poems, paintings, prose and a drama role (2 sections from each country) :

> 13. Barbarossa
> 34. Morning prayers in the Bach family, by Toby Edward Rosenthal (painting)
> 61. Sir Philip Sidney and the glass of water
> 72. King Philip presenting Rubens to Velasquez, by Leon y Escosura (painting)
> 87. The Devil's Bridge over the Reuss
> 90. and the role of the bad guy Gessler, who orders Tell to shoot the apple from his boy's head

Monika, since I know you don't have that much time, a few shorties for you:

> 32. Germany Part VI: German authors and composers: Historical note
> 90. the role of the Women in Wilhelm Tell
> 106. Switzerland Part V: Life in the mountains: Historical note

I hope you are all happy with the choices :)

Sonia
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Sections 35 45 and 50 please.

Also Furst in section 90.
Last edited by alanmapstone on April 13th, 2019, 3:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

alanmapstone wrote: April 13th, 2019, 2:14 am Sections 35 45 and 50 please.
:shock: that was a fast claim, Alan ! Are you typing from breakfast in bed again ? :mrgreen:

I see you go for the German songs this time. Thanks for the claims. Glad to have you in here as well :9:

Sonia
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Also section 12 25 57 and 66

And Furst in section 90.

I will confess that I had already looked through vol 7 and chosen a few bits!
Last edited by alanmapstone on April 13th, 2019, 3:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
Foon

Post by Foon »

Sonia, what excellent assigments! I was browsing through the Netherlands part of the book to see if there was anything I really wanted to read about my little country... And every section I picked, you already assigned to me!

Thank you!! :9:

Also, putting it out there, if anyone wants help with pronouncing any Dutch names, give me a shout.

EDIT: Actually, I would also quite like the section on Sinterklaas (Saint Nicholas)--section 81, please!
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

alanmapstone wrote: April 13th, 2019, 2:21 am Also section 12 25 57 and 66
And Furst in section 90.
I will confess that I had already looked through vol 7 and chosen a few bits!
aha, you're planning ahead ;) wise man. And Furst !!!!! If I had to guess I would have chosen that part for you as well ! Thanks

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Foon wrote: April 13th, 2019, 3:09 amSonia, what excellent assigments! I was browsing through the Netherlands part of the book to see if there was anything I really wanted to read about my little country... And every section I picked, you already assigned to me!
aww thank you, I'm glad I hit your taste :9:
EDIT: Actually, I would also quite like the section on Sinterklaas (Saint Nicholas)--section 81, please!
thank you ! Actually I was considering giving you this section as well but then I thought I cannot presume giving you such long sections, so I left that one out in the end. Glad you want to do it though !

MW updated so far.

Sonia
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

May I sign up for 4, 15, 24, 26, 29, 33, 37, 48, 61, 68, 75, 81, 96, and 105? Jim :)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

neecheelok70 wrote: April 13th, 2019, 4:25 amMay I sign up for 4, 15, 24, 26, 29, 33, 37, 48, 61, 68, 75, 81, 96, and 105? Jim :)
Jim ! great to have you in here as well (I knew you would...) thank you so much for these many claims :9: (and I guess I can rely on you again to PL my own sections :wink: )

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

neecheelok70 wrote: April 13th, 2019, 4:25 am May I sign up for 4, 15, 24, 26, 29, 33, 37, 48, 61, 68, 75, 81, 96, and 105? Jim :)
sorry Jim, 61 was already assigned to Tomas and 81 to Foon ! Did you maybe mean another section ?

Sonia
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Rudenz for me please.

There was an guy of Swiss extraction who was part of our dance group in Sydney back in the day.

I remember us meeting his Swiss-born grandmother. Not recognising her accent, someone asked where it was from.

"It's Swiss", she said.

"Swiss, huh?", the inquirer said.

"Yes", said Grandma. "Get me a crossbow and an apple, and I'll prove it."

Cheers,
Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: April 13th, 2019, 4:45 am Rudenz for me please.

There was an guy of Swiss extraction who was part of our dance group in Sydney back in the day.
I remember us meeting his Swiss-born grandmother. Not recognising her accent, someone asked where it was from.
"It's Swiss", she said.
"Swiss, huh?", the inquirer said.
"Yes", said Grandma. "Get me a crossbow and an apple, and I'll prove it."
tough grandma. I like her !

Thanks for claiming a part Chris !!!! I'll sign you up

Sonia
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

Kitty wrote: April 13th, 2019, 2:08 am Monika, since I know you don't have that much time, a few shorties for you:

> 32. Germany Part VI: German authors and composers: Historical note
> 90. the role of the Women in Wilhelm Tell
> 106. Switzerland Part V: Life in the mountains: Historical note
Perfect! :thumbs: