COMPLETE: The Dialogues of the Gods by Lucian-leni

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Foon

Post by Foon »

KevinS wrote: May 17th, 2019, 5:40 pm I'd like to try Section 13, but I must insist that whoever is the director of the project be honest with me and say if my reading will fit. I am not easily wounded.
Hi Kevin,
I've assigned the role to you! Have you participated in dramas before? Please make sure to include all your lines, plus a voice credit ("Hephaestus, read by [you]") at the start of the file. Please leave a few seconds of silence in between each of the lines, to make it easy on the editor.

I'm sure you'll do a great job :thumbs:
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Don't be sure of my doing a good job, at least at first. Everything I do is rather understated. If you wish me to be more 'declarative' or like Errol Flynn you must tell me, please.

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/dialoguesofthegods_[hephaestus]_[13]_128kb.mp3

2:09
Foon

Post by Foon »

KevinS wrote: May 18th, 2019, 6:39 am Don't be sure of my doing a good job, at least at first. Everything I do is rather understated. If you wish me to be more 'declarative' or like Errol Flynn you must tell me, please.

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/dialoguesofthegods_[hephaestus]_[13]_128kb.mp3

Thank you Kevin! I've updated the MW. I'm away from home for a few days but I'll PL it when I get back tomorrow or the day after.

Just a quick note on the file name, the square brackets [ ] don't need to be included in the file name, and the number should be the dialogue number rather than section number. It's no problem for now, and if I have no notes there's no need to reupload, but for future reference I thought I'd point it out (as it's the naming convention most, if not all, drama project use).
So in this case that would be dialoguesofthegods_hephaestus_8_128kb.mp3.
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Foon wrote: May 19th, 2019, 10:35 am
KevinS wrote: May 18th, 2019, 6:39 am Don't be sure of my doing a good job, at least at first. Everything I do is rather understated. If you wish me to be more 'declarative' or like Errol Flynn you must tell me, please.

Thank you Kevin! I've updated the MW. I'm away from home for a few days but I'll PL it when I get back tomorrow or the day after.

Just a quick note on the file name, the square brackets [ ] don't need to be included in the file name, and the number should be the dialogue number rather than section number. It's no problem for now, and if I have no notes there's no need to reupload, but for future reference I thought I'd point it out (as it's the naming convention most, if not all, drama project use).
So in this case that would be dialoguesofthegods_hephaestus_8_128kb.mp3.
Right-o.

(Gosh, but I had trouble getting the file to upload! Hahah!)
Foon

Post by Foon »

Great job, Kevin!
One small note that you don't need to change now, just for future reference in drama projects:
If your lines are interrupted by stage directions, such as in this case
" ... when you order a thing? (starting back in alarm.) What's this?"
Please leave a few seconds of silence in between the parts of your line, as the editor will need to put the stage direction in between.
As it's just this one occurrence in this file there's no need to change anything now, I'm sure Campbell will have no difficulty working with it, but especially in longer roles with lots of stage directions, it's quite good practice to make life easier on the editor ;)

Hephaestus in dialogue 8 is PL OK :thumbs:

Readers needed:
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I've recorded Zeus for Dialogue 18. Would you like to hear it?
Foon

Post by Foon »

KevinS wrote: May 20th, 2019, 6:08 am I've recorded Zeus for Dialogue 18. Would you like to hear it?
Hi Kevin,
Yes, of course! Do claim before recording next time though, ok? :)

Readers needed:
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Foon wrote: May 20th, 2019, 6:10 am
KevinS wrote: May 20th, 2019, 6:08 am I've recorded Zeus for Dialogue 18. Would you like to hear it?
Hi Kevin,
I'm reluctant to claim something I cannot do well. Still getting my feet wet, you know.

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/dialoguesofthegods_zeus_18_128kb.mp3

2:17
Foon

Post by Foon »

KevinS wrote: May 20th, 2019, 6:21 am
Foon wrote: May 20th, 2019, 6:10 am
Hi Kevin,
I'm reluctant to claim something I cannot do well. Still getting my feet wet, you know.

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/dialoguesofthegods_zeus_18_128kb.mp3

2:17
I understand that feeling, I felt the same way when I first started here. However, let's still follow proper procedure! When you submit something, it's incredibly unlikely that I, or anyone else at LV, would reject it. Main reasons for really rejecting something would be a poor command of English (or the relevant language) to the point of not being understandable, or poor recording quality with the same result.
Mostly, readers are free to read texts in the way they choose; there is no objectively right or wrong way to do many things. Some people speak faster, others slower. Some use a deep voice, others more high-pitched. Some are emotional and dramatic, others more neutral. It's all a matter of personal preference. Sometimes, a project asks for something specific in how readers record a text; for example, I came across the Insomnia collection, for which a fast-paced excited recording really isn't suitable, as the goal is to help people fall asleep. But those are exceptions, rather than the rule--and that's the beauty of LibriVox, in my opinion! So many different voices, styles, and choices people make! It would be a boring place if everyone did everything the same way.

So in short, I understand your feeling, but just, you do you, OK? If something really isn't up to par, the prooflistener will tell you. But other than that, as long as you follow specific project instructions and you're understandable, pretty much whatever choice you make in your recordings is allllll good.

That all being said, I've had a listen, and your role as Zeus is PL OK :thumbs:
Campbell, that means Dialogue 18 is ready to edit!

Readers needed:
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

We'll push on then.

May I claim Herakles in Dialogue 13?
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

Campbell
pronouns: they/them
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Dialogue 18 is PL OK! (mw not updated)
Foon

Post by Foon »

Thank you all so much! :thumbs:

MW updated.

Readers needed:
Foon

Post by Foon »

Thank you again Kevin, Herakles in dialogue 13 is PL OK :thumbs:
A reminder again, please use the dialogue number in the file name instead of the section number; in drama projects sections get dragged around quite regularly so section numbers don't tend to stay the same, and it is important for the editor to be able to identify which parts are used in which completed dialogue (here), chapter (dramatic readings), or act (plays).

Readers needed: