COMPLETE [FORTNIGHTLY POEM] A Golden Day, by Ella Wheeler Wilcox - dl

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
KIBBONAFIDE

Post by KIBBONAFIDE » April 4th, 2019, 5:23 pm

All was well enough to get this recording in today!

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/goldenday_wilcox_jk_128kb.mp3
1:27

Thank you!
Josh Kibbey

msfry

Post by msfry » April 4th, 2019, 6:00 pm

Thanks, Josh. You are wearing your happy feet today, and that is A-OK! :D
Michele Fry, CC
My Projects
"If we admit a First Cause, the mind still craves to know whence it came and how it arose." ~Albert Einstein

bluechien

Post by bluechien » April 5th, 2019, 3:38 pm

Eva D
siamo contenti? ... ho fatto questa caricatura ... - Nietzsche

GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano » April 5th, 2019, 9:15 pm

Here is my contribution to this project:

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/goldenday_wilcox_gg_128kb.mp3

Run time is 1:41

Take care,

Greg

msfry

Post by msfry » April 5th, 2019, 9:52 pm

Eva, Larry and Greg, thanks for your contributions. I can tell you were all enjoying yourselves today! :D
Michele Fry, CC
My Projects
"If we admit a First Cause, the mind still craves to know whence it came and how it arose." ~Albert Einstein

Foon

Post by Foon » April 6th, 2019, 6:16 am

Hi Michele,
Here's one from me:
https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/goldenday_wilcox_fh_128kb.mp3 1:42

Just checking: the poem in the thread title is called A golden day, but in the MW they're listen as THE golden day. I don't know which it should be?
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian

fwbutzen

Post by fwbutzen » April 7th, 2019, 5:10 pm

My first real LV recording:

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/goldenday_wilcox_fwb_128kb.mp3

Time - 1:38

A lovely poem. The breezes here in Wisconsin aren't singing "all is well" quite yet, but they will, soon enough.

msfry

Post by msfry » April 7th, 2019, 5:35 pm

Thanks Foon, I see you have my back, too, and I appreciate it. All fixed. :D I appreciate your contribution, too, and it is PL A-OK. :thumbs:
Michele Fry, CC
My Projects

iBeScotty

Post by iBeScotty » April 7th, 2019, 5:46 pm

This is such a nice poem! After a week of clouds and rain it is finally a golden day here in this part of the golden state. My recording:

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/goldenday_wilcox_sws_128kb.mp3
1:31

Some notes on the recording: this is the first librivox one I've done outside the closet. Also it was outside the house because I really wanted to feel the beautiful day. I tried minimizing any ambient sound by close micing but there is still some.

Here is a video of the recording too: https://youtu.be/DRZIvvqWSVQ
Scotty

msfry

Post by msfry » April 7th, 2019, 5:58 pm

Hi, Fwbutzen. Welcome to Librivox. Great place to start, and you did everything just right.
File name - Check
Upload to correct folder - Check
Recording - Lovely
Parameters - Perfect

Only one issue before I can give you a PL OK
Checker shows your volume down at 71.2. This is easily corrected in Audacity by selecting your whole file, then going Effect/Amplify/specify 18. Then it will sound loud enough to be audible without headphones on any device. In future I recommend you adjust your volume controls before you record. There is a slider in the Audacity header bar, and possibly some controls on your equipment. Make this adjustment, reupload your file using the same filename, and post again here just as before saying what you did.

One more thing. As this is your first Librivox contribution, we'll need you to specify a name you'd like to appear in the LV catalog. HINT: I use my Real Name, Michele Fry, others use their username (e.g., msfry), and others use something else (e.g. Michele T. Fry, MicheleFry, IggyPoo or whatever you'd like your friends to search you by in our Home Page search box), and how you will access your Reader Details page (everything you've ever recorded with us). This is the name that will appear next to each chapter you read and on any solos you record, and once chosen, can't be changed on any catalogued project.

This only needs to be done once, then you'll be in our catalog from then on!!!!!

If you want to set up a Signature that appends to your posts, like many do, hit the down arrow in the upper right corner of any forum page to reach your personal Control Panel, find Signatures, and set one up. They are kinda fun! Lots of other settings there too, like making sure you get email notifications from projects you are active on.

Great first reading, and great having you. :clap:
Michele Fry, CC
My Projects

msfry

Post by msfry » April 7th, 2019, 6:09 pm

Hey, Scotty! The birds and outdoor sounds were a real nice touch. :D I was hoping to hear the indian flute as well (as heard in the video), but then I would have had to nix it. So glad you had fun with this poem. I think it is one of Ella's best! PL OK
Michele Fry, CC
My Projects

iBeScotty

Post by iBeScotty » April 7th, 2019, 6:50 pm

Thank you, Michele. Yeah for sure, though my flute doesn’t really resemble music, I would never put that in a librivox recording; it was just for the video title intro and to bookend at the end for some added ambience. Also, this was definitely a one off as recording outside is tough. After setting up I waited 45 minutes for a power mower to stop, then recorded really quick before it started up again, lol. I did get in a second take but a bird came closer and was especially vocal :lol: But it was a great day to be outside!
Scotty

fwbutzen

Post by fwbutzen » April 8th, 2019, 7:21 am

Michelle,

Here is the link to the recording with the amplitude corrected:

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/goldenday_wilcox_fwb_128kb.mp3

I had tried using "checker" on the file before uploading it the first time, but it failed with one of those cryptic Java error messages. Not being a Java maven, I've put that off until later and guessed at the amplitude.

Is there a way to measure amplitude within Audacity - that is, in a way that yields a value similar to what "checker" produces? Also, I noticed that when I plugged in the "18" that you recommended, Audiacity thought that that was a bit high - it wouldn't do the conversion until I turned on clipping. When I experimented with Audacity's "normalization" feature, it amplified the file to a level just a little below what you recommended. No doubt, I'll learn the drill with a little practice.

As for my handle, I'll use my natal name, "Frederick Butzen". I'll register that, as soon as I locate the relevant page in the spellbook.

BTW, I see that you're in Baton Rouge. Our oldest son lives in Carencro, just outside Lafayette. We visited last Christmas. Lovely area - especially compared with Wisconsin in December!

Many thanks for all your help.

msfry

Post by msfry » April 8th, 2019, 10:58 am

Spot PL on FWB

Now your volume is 89.2, and I've marked your file PL OK, and added you to our catalog. I don't know of a way Audacity registers volume. It would make things so much easier!

For future reference:
It seems the way Amplify works in Audacity, the louder each wave is to begin with, the louder it amplifies it, creating shrill spikes. So what I do with my recordings is grab the whole completed file, and go Effect/Compression, and set my parameters thus:
-16. -40, 2:1, .10. 1.0, uncheck everything.

You can play with the settings until you are satisfied. I tried it on yours and it mellows out those spikes considerably. It de-amplifies the file a wee bit, I'm sure, but I don't worry about that as I take it into Checker only AFTER compressing, and correct the volume just once.

One note of caution: Before Compression, add 6 seconds of silence at the beginning of the file, for it seems Compression drastically squishes down the first 5 seconds or so. I am not an engineer and have no idea why. :hmm: There's a famous line somewhere which I like to quote: "IT JUST DOES, THAT'S ALL!" :)
Michele Fry, CC
My Projects