williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: May 17th, 2019, 8:21 am PL Notes Brann 45 Trilby

:45 Egypt, you say Europe
5:44 beside that pathetic passage, you say besides, probably could delete the s
16:57 Me-phis-topheles, you say Mes-topheles
21:12 spoon victuals, you say vic-tals.
22:14 Trilby skips the trala, you say skeeps

I've never heard of tTrilby, and am not curious to read the story, so I guess Brann did a good job of squashing it. :roll:
I have made your indicated corrections and uploaded the new file:
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/iconoclast1_45_brann_128kb.mp3 24:08
I also modified the tempo +6.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

45 is PL OK. Nice edits. Good read. Increase in tempo was a nice touch.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Lynnet wrote: May 17th, 2019, 11:00 am
msfry wrote: May 17th, 2019, 8:21 am PL Notes Brann 45 Trilby
<snip>
21:12 spoon victuals, you say vic-tals.
<snip>
Michele, this comes very close to 'correcting' pronunciation that would be considered correct (eg 'victuals' would usually be pronounced 'vittals'or 'victals' in the UK), whereas 'vic-tu-als' would be considered incorrect and a sign of poor educational background. This is why we don't comment on pronunciation... there are too many variables.
Lynne, Michele, I was born and raised in southern Indiana. My acquaintance with "cowboy" talk I got solely from Saturday morning "Oaters" at the movies. When I first read this line, I mentally read "Vittles" which is what Roy Rogers would have said. My recorded pronunciation was a total mistake on my part, not a matter of judgement. I didn't mean it, and I don't think it sounds correct to American ears. So, I am glad it was brought to my attention. That "CC" beside my name does invite Comment and Criticisms. So, thanks, Michele.

And, Lynne, thank you for keeping a close eye on this, my first BC gig. Any and all comments are welcome.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks for saying that Bill. I do my best not to cite things that seem unimportant, and an American pronunciation for an American voice seemed right to cite, especially since I'm familiar with your love of linguistic precision . . . . and then there's that CC in your signature. You are always free to ignore such a comment if you're satisfied with it as is.

BTW, I lowered the file length in the MW.

Wow, this project is getting close to wrapping up, with readers asking for more! And look how fast it filled up! Nice first BC project. :thumbs:
jfgallagher

Post by jfgallagher »

I see no evidence that anyone has claimed section 43, so let me tender my own. I'm surprised that there any left open and hope that we can sew it up soon!

Jim G.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

jfgallagher wrote: May 19th, 2019, 2:36 pm I see no evidence that anyone has claimed section 43, so let me tender my own. I'm surprised that there any left open and hope that we can sew it up soon!

Jim G.
Yaaaaaay Jim!!! :!:
That's the spirit !!!
43 is yours.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Michele, I uploaded chapter 36 The Seventh Commandment yesterday.
Will you please PL it for me???? Are you available?
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

williamjones wrote: May 23rd, 2019, 1:03 pm Michele, I uploaded chapter 36 The Seventh Commandment yesterday.
Will you please PL it for me???? Are you available?
I am happening by here right now. It's synchronicity! I see it in the MW and look forward to listening to the 7th commandment! Or do I? :)
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes 36 The Seventh Commandment

Oh my! Nice reading. So many big words I never heard of, I had to look them up. Just a few things worth mentioning:

no more than 1 second of silence at the beginning
1:14 text says unco' guid: those who profess a strict morality —in order piously to deplore it. You say uncultivated.
5:20 implores the gods, you say the god
6:30 con-ve-nan-ces: NOUN archaic meaning conventional propriety. You say cov-en-an-ces
8:05 when a woman learns, you say man
25:38 to share a husband's caresses, 's is missing, sounds weird
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Uploaded corrections to chapter 36 - Seventh Commandment

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/iconoclast1_36_brann_128kb.mp3 28:22
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

36 PL OK :thumbs:
msfry

Post by msfry »

BC Tip: As all sections are assigned, Bill, you should replace GROUP in the header, with FULL, so people looking through READERS WANTED for something to read don't visit this project unnecessarily.

Also, as I know you do graphics, you may want to design your own cover. If so, you should make a "preclaim" to reserve it for yourself. I can show you how.
Last edited by msfry on May 24th, 2019, 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Well, since we're not in "Readers Wanted" any longer...
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
msfry

Post by msfry »

tovarisch wrote: May 24th, 2019, 4:46 pm Well, since we're not in "Readers Wanted" any longer...
Well, Mr. T, the BC can't switch the project to Readers Found, but can indicate FULL, so I like to do that and thought it was a good coaching tip to pass along. :mrgreen:
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: May 24th, 2019, 4:43 pm BC Tip: As all sections are assigned, Bill, you should replace GROUP in the header, with FULL, so people looking through READERS WANTED for something to read don't visit this project unnecessarily.
<snip>
Thanks for the tip. Made the change just now.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison