[Complete]The Complete Works of Brann, the Iconoclast, Volume 1 - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

northstar95 wrote: April 22nd, 2019, 3:43 pm
williamjones wrote: April 21st, 2019, 1:42 pm
<snip>

Trailing silence: At end, there are almost 10 seconds of silence instead of the prescribed 5.
OK thanks, I will try to do something about the volume. However, I listened back again and I only hear the usual 5 seconds of silence at the end.
I have to apologize: your file has almost exactly 5 seconds of silence at the end. I have no explanation why my eyes saw an extra 5 seconds. :roll:

As for the volume: you can use the Audacity "Amplify effect" and try amplifying by 3 or 4, then run it thru Checker again, and repeat until you get a proper volume, or you can use that utility, MP3Gain. Just plug in the volume you want, and the program figures out what needs to be done and does it.

Again, I apologize for the funny business about the trailing silence. :oops:
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Simply amplifying a file won’t work if there are peaks (loud spots). You might need to try the compressor effect to even things out a bit.
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes Section 4

I love the way you read this, Brett, more like free-verse poetry than prose. Brann's use of words is so expressive, so poignant, so dripping with imagery, this is a great story!

I will cite a few errors in pronunciation that seemed significant to me:
4:00 Anon, meaning "before long", is pronounced an-'non, i.e., doesn't rhyme with "cannon"
7:06 the leaden sky, meaning "dull and gray", you say laden, as in heavily loaded. I suppose it could work either way, but two different words. Your choice.
8:39 strove with feet and hands to kill, you say stove
11:16 the haven that was to be our Heaven. You repeat haven, for Heaven.
13:10 a score of barbarious kings, you say a scorn of
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

williamjones wrote: April 22nd, 2019, 7:03 pm
<snip>

I have to apologize: your file has almost exactly 5 seconds of silence at the end. I have no explanation why my eyes saw an extra 5 seconds. :roll:

As for the volume: you can use the Audacity "Amplify effect" and try amplifying by 3 or 4, then run it thru Checker again, and repeat until you get a proper volume, or you can use that utility, MP3Gain. Just plug in the volume you want, and the program figures out what needs to be done and does it.
Just a note in case you might think that that MP3Gain utility program might not be trustworthy:
I was looking thru the LV internal code on GitHub this morning and Lo and Behold!! inside the code there are references to MP3Gain !! I begin to suspect that LV uses MP3Gain in its internals... which is not a bad recommendation to have!
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
northstar95

Post by northstar95 »

OK, fingers crossed - tried Mp3gain for the first time, hope I did it right:
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/iconoclast1_19_brann_128kb.mp3
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

northstar95 wrote: April 23rd, 2019, 5:50 pm OK, fingers crossed - tried Mp3gain for the first time, hope I did it right:
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/iconoclast1_19_brann_128kb.mp3
This file is now both PL OK :clap: and a good object lesson demonstrating Lynnet's comments earlier.
She wrote:
by Lynnet » Today, 12:44 am
Simply amplifying a file won’t work if there are peaks (loud spots). You might need to try the compressor effect to even things out a bit.

You can see in the wave form of your new version that there is a small number of places where clipping occurred. Lynnet's concerns included fear that clipping would take place if the amplification was too large. Compression would take down some of the peaks (valley's too?) so that subsequent amplification would not cause clipping.

I really like your reading style. I hope you'll take on other sections in this project.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
northstar95

Post by northstar95 »

Great to hear, thank you -
I would like 44 next please.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

northstar95 wrote: April 24th, 2019, 5:00 am Great to hear, thank you -
I would like 44 next please.
It's yours, Brian.
Go to it!
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
Prffsr

Post by Prffsr »

msfry wrote: April 23rd, 2019, 2:25 pm PL Notes Section 4

I love the way you read this, Brett, more like free-verse poetry than prose. Brann's use of words is so expressive, so poignant, so dripping with imagery, this is a great story!

I will cite a few errors in pronunciation that seemed significant to me:
4:00 Anon, meaning "before long", is pronounced an-'non, i.e., doesn't rhyme with "cannon"
7:06 the leaden sky, meaning "dull and gray", you say laden, as in heavily loaded. I suppose it could work either way, but two different words. Your choice.
8:39 strove with feet and hands to kill, you say stove
11:16 the haven that was to be our Heaven. You repeat haven, for Heaven.
13:10 a score of barbarious kings, you say a scorn of
Thank you! i am happy to make these changes! Also interested in your thoughts on the vocal work.
Can you detect the edits? Tone? Speed? Volume?
Any tips on the English or grammar would be much appreciated!
You can PM me if you like!

Thanks.
Brett
"Never use an equipment fix, for a SKILLS problem"! BEB :clap:
northstar95

Post by northstar95 »

msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes Chapter 44
Another PL AOK for you, Brian :thumbs:

Great for us gals, but poor fellas! He doesn't cut them much slack as they grapple with . . . . :twisted: The Temptress :twisted:
northstar95

Post by northstar95 »

Great! :D could I be assigned 22 please.
RitaBoutros

Post by RitaBoutros »

williamjones

Post by williamjones »

northstar95 wrote: April 27th, 2019, 1:29 pm Great! :D could I be assigned 22 please.
Roses are red,
Some cheese is Bleu
Section 22
Is assigned to you.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
irondog70

Post by irondog70 »

Hi Bill,
Here is Chapter 38:
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/iconoclast1_38_brann_128kb.mp3
Duration: 21:19

I can try again on Chapter 21, if not taken.
Thanks and let me know,
Cornel. ;)
Cornel Nemes