COMPLETE: Short Nonfiction Collection, Vol. 064 - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Some_Old_Bird

Post by Some_Old_Bird »

Sue, Craig,

Thank you both so much for the feedback. I'll make the necessary adjustment and get this thing right. I dont think I still have my one minute test, I remember I did one when I joined the site briefly years ago. I was surprised my computer still had audacity and, at least by the standards of some video i found on YT from 2017, was still set to the Librivox settings. I'll play around but with it and hopefully going forward I can just hit record and let it rip. Sorry this one was so rough on yall.

Regarding the volume, do I need to re-record or can I adjust the existing recording?

Again, thank you both, I'll get this on fixed and then do a 1 min test if feel its necessary before moving on.
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks Availle :D

A few errors noted.

:20 For preventing the children of poor people in Ireland, from being a burden on their parents or country,and for making them beneficial to the publick. Forgot to read in Ireland

7:42 there are more children born in Roman Catholick countries about nine months after Lent, the markets will be more glutted than usual, because the number of Popish infants, is at least three to one in this kingdom, and therefore it will have one other collateral advantage, by lessening the number of Papists among us. Added than at any other season, therefore reckoning a year after Lent --- after Lent

Next part of the same sentence: the markets will be more glutted - you read gluttoned - can fix this one if you want.

Craig
The world needs some positive fanaticism.

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaard on Christianity
Kierkegaards Challenge
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Some_Old_Bird wrote: March 29th, 2019, 9:27 pm Sue, Craig,

Regarding the volume, do I need to re-record or can I adjust the existing recording?
Hi Some_Old_Bird,

Volume is EASY TO FIX. You certainly don't need to re-record to fix the volume! :) The "Amplify" command under "Effects" on Audacity in the place to begin. The LibriVox Wiki will lead you to how-to articles and video: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Main_Page.

Your selection was, overall, very nicely recorded. It only needs minor tweaks to be ready for cataloging!

Regards,
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Title: What to Avoid in Cycling
Author: Benjamin Ward Richardson (I have entered him into the author DB already)
Link: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf064_whattoavoid_richardson_tg_128kb.mp3
Source: https://archive.org/details/jstor-25103565
Length: 27:20

A topic close to my heart, because my husband is into long-distance cycling.

He talks of extreme cycling. My husband is seriously considering doing a 24-hour ride event in June. (You go as far as you can for 24 hours on a specified loop course. Some cyclists do sleep during that time; others don't.)

And he talks of spasmodic muscles. My husband has had those, preventing sleep, after long (100+ km) rides.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

TriciaG wrote: April 1st, 2019, 9:08 am Title: What to Avoid in Cycling
Author: Benjamin Ward Richardson (I have entered him into the author DB already)
Link: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf064_whattoavoid_richardson_tg_128kb.mp3
Source: https://archive.org/details/jstor-25103565
Length: 27:20

A topic close to my heart, because my husband is into long-distance cycling.

He talks of extreme cycling. My husband is seriously considering doing a 24-hour ride event in June. (You go as far as you can for 24 hours on a specified loop course. Some cyclists do sleep during that time; others don't.)

And he talks of spasmodic muscles. My husband has had those, preventing sleep, after long (100+ km) rides.
Hi Tricia, Thanks for this! :) Wow, your husband's long-distance cycling sounds grueling! I'll be sure to give this selection a careful listen. About a year ago, I cleaned out my garage and got rid of my old Schwinn, which I probably hadn't ridden in 20 years. Admittedly, felt bad about its demise. Then last fall, at a community fair, as part of a "raffle basket" I won 2-hours free-rental at our local bike shop. Wasn't sure I even remembered how! However, I enjoyed the ride, and at the end of the season, when they sold their rental bikes, I bought a bike. So hope to do some--definitely short distance--cycling this summer.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

soupy wrote: March 30th, 2019, 4:06 am Thanks Availle :D

A few errors noted.

:20 For preventing the children of poor people in Ireland, from being a burden on their parents or country,and for making them beneficial to the publick. Forgot to read in Ireland

7:42 there are more children born in Roman Catholick countries about nine months after Lent, the markets will be more glutted than usual, because the number of Popish infants, is at least three to one in this kingdom, and therefore it will have one other collateral advantage, by lessening the number of Papists among us. Added than at any other season, therefore reckoning a year after Lent --- after Lent

Next part of the same sentence: the markets will be more glutted - you read gluttoned - can fix this one if you want.
Errors acknowledged - I'll fix them asap. :D
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
soupy

Post by soupy »

Interesting article about cycling Tricia :D

I sure found it easier to do my paper route after I finally could afford a bicycle then before when I had to carry the papers.

Well read. I found one error that might not have to be fixed.

7:11 If it be pressed into too rapid exercises while it is undergoing its growth – you read rigid

I can't tell if it means the same or not. Marked it PLOK :thumbs:

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks for Immortality by Ambrose Bierce

It seems like he confused immortality and reincarnation a little.

A few errors noted.

1:58 The few of us that are left unprovided for are those who do not bother themselves much about the matter, one way or another. You forgot to read the sentence below after the prior sentence. The question of human immortality is the most momentous that the mind is capable of conceiving.

6:39 in assurances of those who are in present enjoyment of it—if it is enjoyable. – you read employment for enjoyment

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

soupy wrote: April 1st, 2019, 4:16 pm Interesting article about cycling Tricia :D

I sure found it easier to do my paper route after I finally could afford a bicycle then before when I had to carry the papers.

Well read. I found one error that might not have to be fixed.

7:11 If it be pressed into too rapid exercises while it is undergoing its growth – you read rigid

I can't tell if it means the same or not. Marked it PLOK :thumbs:

Craig
Ehh, I think it's close enough. I think the meaning comes through either way. :) Thanks!
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Grothmann

Post by Grothmann »

Hi Craig:

Bierce does have his own opinions.

Corrected and reloaded

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf064_immortality_bierce_dg_128kb.mp3

Thank you for listening (carefully)

Dale
Grothmann

Post by Grothmann »

Hi:

This is less controversial, and funnier, I think.

Notes On Pianos
By Lawton Mackall
Read by Dale Grothmann

Time 4:51

Text at
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/42710

Audio at
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf064_notesonpianos_mackall_dg_128kb.mp3

Thanks
Dale
Some_Old_Bird

Post by Some_Old_Bird »

Reupload, with edits

The Present Crisis in China, From the Standpoint of a Christian Chinese

Magazine : https://www.gutenberg.org/files/28712/28712-h/28712-h.htm

My reading: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf064_boxercrisis_gam_rw_128kb.mp3

19 min

Sue, Craig, Thank you both for your advice. Let me know if this one passes muster and if I'm good to proceed recording something else or if I should submit a one min test and fine tune my processes before continuing.

looking forward to your feedback
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Grothmann wrote: April 1st, 2019, 9:16 pm Hi:

This is less controversial, and funnier, I think.

Notes On Pianos
By Lawton Mackall
Read by Dale Grothmann

Thanks
Dale
Thanks Dale! Enjoyable listen! :) Another funny essay would be on the contents of piano benches. Mine is a repository for spare eyeglasses, thumb drives backing up my computer, and a box of "heirloom" double-nine dominoes, the box printed with the exhortation "For Victory, Buy United States Savings Bonds and Stamps."
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Some_Old_Bird wrote: April 1st, 2019, 10:34 pm Reupload, with edits

The Present Crisis in China, From the Standpoint of a Christian Chinese

Sue, Craig, Thank you both for your advice. Let me know if this one passes muster and if I'm good to proceed recording something else or if I should submit a one min test and fine tune my processes before continuing.
looking forward to your feedback
Hi Some_Old_Bird, Volume is fine on the re-upload! :) As long as you feel comfortable with the process, I think you're ready to record something else.

Regards,
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks Dale.

one error noted.

:22 A piano is an instrument with eighty-eight keys and twenty installments. – you read twenty-four

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge