Complete - Short Story Collection 79 - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
SonOfTheExiles
Posts: 1469
Joined: December 20th, 2013, 1:14 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Post by SonOfTheExiles » March 15th, 2019, 4:14 pm

A project of mine ("Sandy's Selection") recently stalled and got backed up for lack of progress.

I thought that some of the half-dozen or so chapters that I did record might go well in the Short Story Collection. They've not been published elsewhere in LV because, as noted, that Sandy's Selection project was not completed.

These chapters were originally published as stand-alone short stories back in the day, so I would think that they would fit in well in these collections.

So, if this is acceptable, here's the first submission.

I've changed the intro and outro, and will get an admin to progressively delete the relevant backed-up chapters as they get used in these Short Stories Collection.

"Two Cases For The Doctor", from "Sandy's Selection", by Steele Rudd (1868-1935)
Text URL: https://books.google.com.au/books?id=Myw5AQAAMAAJ&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false
Duration: 10:27
MP3 URL: https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/ss079_twocasesforthedoctor_sote_128kb.mp3

Regards,
Chris
"Sorry, my tongue got in the way of my eye-tooth, and I couldn't see what I was saying..."
_________________
My LV catalogue page
Son of the Exiles YouTube Channel
Featured Plays

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 19837
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » March 15th, 2019, 5:32 pm

SonOfTheExiles wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 4:14 pm
A project of mine ("Sandy's Selection") recently stalled and got backed up for lack of progress.

I thought that some of the half-dozen or so chapters that I did record might go well in the Short Story Collection. They've not been published elsewhere in LV because, as noted, that Sandy's Selection project was not completed.

These chapters were originally published as stand-alone short stories back in the day, so I would think that they would fit in well in these collections.

So, if this is acceptable, here's the first submission.

I've changed the intro and outro, and will get an admin to progressively delete the relevant backed-up chapters as they get used in these Short Stories Collection.

"Two Cases For The Doctor", from "Sandy's Selection", by Steele Rudd (1868-1935)
Text URL: https://books.google.com.au/books?id=Myw5AQAAMAAJ&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false
Duration: 10:27
MP3 URL: https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/ss079_twocasesforthedoctor_sote_128kb.mp3

Regards,
Chris
Sounds good... are the stories in the abandoned folder, or an admin's? I'll be able to delete them from there. It's probably easier to delete them as a job lot, once all have been uploaded here. I could just move them, but then they wouldn't have the right intro/outro. (I know it's hard to believe, but I have admin super-powers :lol: )

SonOfTheExiles
Posts: 1469
Joined: December 20th, 2013, 1:14 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Post by SonOfTheExiles » March 15th, 2019, 6:43 pm

are the stories in the abandoned folder, or an admin's?”

https://librivox.org/uploads/abandoned/sandys_selection/

I thought maybe to dripfeed the chapters in one per Short Stories collection.

Cheers,
Chris
"Sorry, my tongue got in the way of my eye-tooth, and I couldn't see what I was saying..."
_________________
My LV catalogue page
Son of the Exiles YouTube Channel
Featured Plays

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 19837
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » March 16th, 2019, 8:09 am

SonOfTheExiles wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 6:43 pm
are the stories in the abandoned folder, or an admin's?”

https://librivox.org/uploads/abandoned/sandys_selection/

I thought maybe to dripfeed the chapters in one per Short Stories collection.

Cheers,
Chris
That's fine, but it's still easiest to just delete the directory when you're done, rather than do it piecemeal. I'll move the directory to my folder, so that no one else deletes it (occasionally someone feels like housecleaning and empties out the abandoned folder :shock: )

cherylstewart
Posts: 2091
Joined: October 8th, 2011, 3:39 pm

Post by cherylstewart » March 16th, 2019, 2:01 pm

Section 9 "Two Cases for the Doctor" PL OK
Cheryl

lurcherlover
Posts: 958
Joined: November 10th, 2016, 3:54 am
Location: LONDON UK

Post by lurcherlover » March 18th, 2019, 11:38 pm

I was thinking of doing a short from The Return of Sherlock Holmes but it may be a long short and come out at a total duration of 64 to 70 minutes. (Nearer 64 minutes I hope). Would this be OK? I may have misjudged it and it may be around the 60 minutes - but I thought I should ask as it would be a lot of work if it turns out to be unsuitable. (I could try and speed up the reading but not sure if this would be so good?)

Peter

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 19837
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » March 19th, 2019, 9:08 am

lurcherlover wrote:
March 18th, 2019, 11:38 pm
I was thinking of doing a short from The Return of Sherlock Holmes but it may be a long short and come out at a total duration of 64 to 70 minutes. (Nearer 64 minutes I hope). Would this be OK? I may have misjudged it and it may be around the 60 minutes - but I thought I should ask as it would be a lot of work if it turns out to be unsuitable. (I could try and speed up the reading but not sure if this would be so good?)

Peter
I would say that would be OK as an exception. We have a hard limit of 72 minutes. If it's too long, I would be prepared to accept a Part 1 and Part 2, again as an exception.

BTW, did you see the review on collection 78? A listener described you as "the new Andy Minter" -- high praise as he was a very popular reader, who passed away in -- I think -- 2014 and your reading as being "Conan Doyle read by Michael Caine" (and he's not done too badly for himself!)

lurcherlover
Posts: 958
Joined: November 10th, 2016, 3:54 am
Location: LONDON UK

Post by lurcherlover » March 19th, 2019, 10:12 am

Lynnet wrote:
March 19th, 2019, 9:08 am

I would say that would be OK as an exception. We have a hard limit of 72 minutes. If it's too long, I would be prepared to accept a Part 1 and Part 2, again as an exception.

BTW, did you see the review on collection 78? A listener described you as "the new Andy Minter" -- high praise as he was a very popular reader, who passed away in -- I think -- 2014 and your reading as being "Conan Doyle read by Michael Caine" (and he's not done too badly for himself!)
I'm pretty sure it will come in at about 64/65 minutes and possibly less if I speed up a fraction.

No, I had not seen that review. Had a look on Archive.org and he/she is the second person to say they are reminded of Michael Caine! (Although I think MC has a slightly more London/Cockney accent). Very flattering!

I'm going to stand up in this next recording as I'm told it opens the throat and chest if you hold the copy up high (and have a higher mic of course). I hope it won't be too tiring! I will start recording soon.

Peter

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 19837
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » March 19th, 2019, 10:33 am

lurcherlover wrote:
March 19th, 2019, 10:12 am

No, I had not seen that review. Had a look on Archive.org and he/she is the second person to say they are reminded of Michael Caine! (Although I think MC has a slightly more London/Cockney accent). Very flattering!


Peter
My Dad sounded a lot like MC... they were born up about 5 miles apart (although my Dad was a couple of years younger), and MC grew up in Camberwell, which is where I was born. Small world.

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 19837
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » March 20th, 2019, 4:29 pm

I have uploaded a story about the creepy Mr. Smith :shock:

KIBBONAFIDE
Posts: 423
Joined: September 3rd, 2018, 7:51 am
Location: Burien, WA
Contact:

Post by KIBBONAFIDE » March 20th, 2019, 6:31 pm

Josh Kibbey

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 19837
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » March 20th, 2019, 6:45 pm

KIBBONAFIDE wrote:
March 20th, 2019, 6:31 pm
The Bet by Anton Chekhov (1860 - 1904

Text: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/13437


https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/ss079_bet_jk_128kb.mp3

14:35

Thank you!
Thank you

cherylstewart
Posts: 2091
Joined: October 8th, 2011, 3:39 pm

Post by cherylstewart » March 21st, 2019, 1:58 pm

Section 10 "Smith..." PL OK
Cheryl :D

cherylstewart
Posts: 2091
Joined: October 8th, 2011, 3:39 pm

Post by cherylstewart » March 21st, 2019, 2:15 pm

Section 11 PL OK
Cheryl :thumbs:

Grothmann
Posts: 754
Joined: March 20th, 2017, 2:44 pm

Post by Grothmann » March 22nd, 2019, 5:15 pm

Hi:

Snaking
by Ambrose Bierce

Time 7:43

Audio at

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/ss079_snaking_dg_128kb.mp3

Text at

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/12793

I hope you enjoy it.
Dale

Post Reply