COMPLETE Ancient Poems, Ballads and Songs of the Peasantry of England - rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

Yay! Probably won't get to them tonight, should get to them tomorrow though :D!
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
lymiewithpurpose

Both are A-ok! Really enjoyed them, your audio is so crisp and clean and you were very understandable!
Campbell
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hi Campbell -

You mentioned you entered the poem intro into the first post however I do not see it - the book intro/out for a soloist are still there.

The Intro/out for a poem is the following -

"[Poem title], by [author], read for LibriVox.org" by [your name] or some variation on that, adding date, location, your personal URL, etc., if you wish.
Read the poem.
At the end, say: "End of poem. This recording is in the public domain." and leave five seconds of silence.

Which one do you want us to use - the long one (using the 2nd option) or the one above which is much cleaner?

Regards -

Lynda
lymiewithpurpose

Lmnei wrote: February 21st, 2019, 2:38 pm Hi Campbell -

You mentioned you entered the poem intro into the first post however I do not see it - the book intro/out for a soloist are still there.

The Intro/out for a poem is the following -

"[Poem title], by [author], read for LibriVox.org" by [your name] or some variation on that, adding date, location, your personal URL, etc., if you wish.
Read the poem.
At the end, say: "End of poem. This recording is in the public domain." and leave five seconds of silence.

Which one do you want us to use - the long one (using the 2nd option) or the one above which is much cleaner?

Regards -

Lynda
Ok I'm going to explain my reasoning on this. I have seen both the longer one and the shorter one on poetry projects, so I decided to go with whatever the project generator generated (which was the longer abbreviation). When the shorter abbreviation was mentioned, I believed it meant the one that is for the second recordings and all subsequent ones, as the original post just had the very long one in there. I can see your point about the poetry disclaimer being cleaner, however sections have already been recorded with the longer intro so I would prefer to leave it that way. In addition, many poems have an introduction into them so they are not merely poetry. Let me know if you have any questions about this!
Campbell
jfgallagher

Post by jfgallagher »

Greetings!

Here is my recording of Section 006, "A dialogue betwix an exciseman and death":
https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/ancientpoemspeasantry_006_various_128kb.mp3
recording time 06:47

Please let me know if it needs any additional work. Thanks!

Jim G.
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

That sounds fine to me Campbell!

I was just about to record and I was puzzled about what intro/exit to use - so I will use the shorter one as displayed in the 1st post or the 2nd one if you are doing a solo.

We do not have author names - so are people just skipping the author names?

Just want mine to sound like others :)

Lynda
lymiewithpurpose

jfgallagher wrote: February 21st, 2019, 3:44 pm Greetings!

Here is my recording of Section 006, "A dialogue betwix an exciseman and death":
https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/ancientpoemspeasantry_006_various_128kb.mp3

Jim G.
Great! Will take a listen later tonight!
Campbell
lymiewithpurpose

Lmnei wrote: February 21st, 2019, 3:58 pm
We do not have author names - so are people just skipping the author names?

Lynda
Correct. I believe the author name should be removed from the intro, if not I will do so. You may find that the author is listed in the introduction to your poem though (still no need to put it in the disclaimer). Can't wait to listen :D
Campbell
lymiewithpurpose

jfgallagher wrote: February 21st, 2019, 3:44 pm Greetings!

Jim G.
Sounded great! Loved your different voices.
Campbell
TwoRavens

Post by TwoRavens »

Greetings:
I am new to this. I think my test was okay, haven't heard anything to the contrary (I did test it with Checker.)

Just to start, I'd like to do Section 9. I'll record it, send it in,then, if it suits you, there are others I'd like to do.

I assume you want the introductory notes read, also.

My name is Stephen Harvey.

Cheers.
lymiewithpurpose

TwoRavens wrote: February 23rd, 2019, 3:21 pm Greetings:
I am new to this. I think my test was okay, haven't heard anything to the contrary (I did test it with Checker.)

Just to start, I'd like to do Section 9. I'll record it, send it in,then, if it suits you, there are others I'd like to do.

I assume you want the introductory notes read, also.

My name is Stephen Harvey.

Cheers.

Welcome to Librivox! I have added you to the MW! You may want to wait until you get the official OK on your test to begin recording just in case there is something Checker didn't catch. Hopefully somebody will get around to listening to it shortly, if not I'll take a listen later tonight. And yes, the introductory notes would be great. I will enjoy listening to you :D!
Campbell
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Larry and Campbell -

I have run into something recording these poems that I have not before at the end of a verse - the &c. Here is one verse from one poem however they occur at the end of the verses in A Begging We Will Go and A Jockey to the Fair. I have them recorded as "etc." is that correct? Such as below as And a begging, etc.

I begged for my master,
And got him store of pelf;
But now, Jove be praised!
I’m begging for myself.
And a begging, &c.

Larry - what do you think? You read so many poems I am hoping you have run into this previously...

Thanks!

Lynda
lymiewithpurpose

Lmnei wrote: February 24th, 2019, 2:53 pm I have run into something recording these poems that I have not before at the end of a verse - the &c. Here is one verse from one poem however they occur at the end of the verses in A Begging We Will Go and A Jockey to the Fair. I have them recorded as "etc." is that correct? Such as below as And a begging, etc.
I would also love to hear your opinion, Larry, on this since I am not too familiar with this either.

One of the other poems that was recorded had this in it, but only one time, and it was part of an intro. They either intentionally or mistakenly left it out, and I didn't really mind since it was not that important and was not part of the poem itself. In this case it seems rather important. I can't speak for the Jockey one, but for the other it seems to be an effect, like begging never really ends if that makes sense. So I would read it as "etc.". I would assume the same for the other?

I don't see any problem with the way you recorded. Larry, if there is any wise knowledge you have on this feel free to let us know :D.
Campbell
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

You didn't ask my opinion, of course, but here it is anyway. :wink: I think this is to save on ink, really. It's a shorthand to show that you'll follow the pattern set by previous stanzas. For instance:
There was a jovial beggar,
He had a wooden leg,
Lame from his cradle,
And forced for to beg.
And a begging we will go, we’ll go, we’ll go;
And a begging we will go!

A bag for his oatmeal,
Another for his salt;
And a pair of crutches,
To show that he can halt.
And a begging, &c.
Looking at the first stanza, it ends with "And a begging we will go, we’ll go, we’ll go; And a begging we will go!"

The second stanza should end the same way. Bearing in mind that these are songs, and peasant songs at that, each verse is almost certainly sung the exact same way. So I think the "&c" is just to indicate that you end the verse the same way as the last one.

In Jockey to the Fair, it's kind of the same idea, but you copy the line before, not the stanza before:
’Twas on the morn of sweet May-day,
When nature painted all things gay,
Taught birds to sing, and lambs to play,
And gild the meadows fair;
Young Jockey, early in the dawn,
Arose and tripped it o’er the lawn;
His Sunday clothes the youth put on,
For Jenny had vowed away to run
With Jockey to the fair;
For Jenny had vowed, &c.

The cheerful parish bells had rung,
With eager steps he trudged along,
While flowery garlands round him hung,
Which shepherds use to wear;
He tapped the window; ‘Haste, my dear!’
Jenny impatient cried, ‘Who’s there?’
‘’Tis I, my love, and no one near;
Step gently down, you’ve nought to fear,
With Jockey to the fair.’
Step gently down, &c.
These stanzas each repeat the last two lines, they just weren't printed in their entirety. I think it should sound like:
With Jockey to the fair;
With Jockey to the fair.
and
That's likely how it was sung, and would be more fun to listen to than saying "et cetera," in my opinion.
lymiewithpurpose

mightyfelix wrote: February 24th, 2019, 4:22 pm You didn't ask my opinion, of course, but here it is anyway.
Well, the more the merrier! You managed to come up with a good answer anyways :D. I agree with your theory, especially since these are songs (I originally was looking at them as poetry, which would be very different in my view :lol:). So Lynda, I think it would be great if you could change it to Devorah's method, unless someone comes along and says it should be done differently. If you are set with leaving it as "etc." I think that would be fine too, but Devorah's method does seem more fun to listen to :D.
Campbell