COMPLETE Ancient Poems, Ballads and Songs of the Peasantry of England - rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
TwoRavens

Post by TwoRavens »

Yet again!

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/ancientpoemspeasantry_009_various_128kb.mp3 5:37

I hesitate to say this, but I think I got it this time.
You were right about how I was applying the noise reduction.
the link for the "de-esser" you supplied didn't work for me but I found one called "Spitfish" which I think I applied properly.
Just realised that I forgot to apply the compressor!

Well, let me know what you think.
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

TwoRavens wrote: February 28th, 2019, 5:56 pm Yet again!

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/ancientpoemspeasantry_009_various_128kb.mp3 5:37

I hesitate to say this, but I think I got it this time.
You were right about how I was applying the noise reduction.
the link for the "de-esser" you supplied didn't work for me but I found one called "Spitfish" which I think I applied properly.
Just realised that I forgot to apply the compressor!

Well, let me know what you think.
Ok, that was a million times better! Now that you used the noise reduction correctly you got that lovely, round, tone to your voice back again, which is great! The de-esser did wonders and took away almost all of those strange sounds! As for the compressor, this one actually already had nice even waveforms so it was unnecessary.

I think one more round of noise cleaning would do it. Now that you are using it correctly, I am not worried about it sounding too artificial. I tried it out and it reduced the background noise to almost nothing, and your voice had nice tones to it! Once you do that you should be perfectly OK! So close!
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
ritalouise

Post by ritalouise »

I'd also like 11, 13, and 31, if that is not too many.
But I want to know about the beginning of the recording. Should I read the intro to the poem, and what did you decide about how to credit it? Also, after having read the intro, it seems to me that I should then repeat the title of the poem, or say this is the beginning of the poem, just so that the listener is not confused about where one narration stops and another begins. Or I could just leave a long pause, and begin in a slightly altered tone or speed. Thanks.
Rita :D
lymiewithpurpose

ritalouise wrote: February 28th, 2019, 7:07 pm I'd also like 11, 13, and 31, if that is not too many.
But I want to know about the beginning of the recording. Should I read the intro to the poem, and what did you decide about how to credit it? Also, after having read the intro, it seems to me that I should then repeat the title of the poem, or say this is the beginning of the poem, just so that the listener is not confused about where one narration stops and another begins. Or I could just leave a long pause, and begin in a slightly altered tone or speed. Thanks.
Rita :D
Awesome, thanks, assigned them to you! For the beginning, please read the disclaimer for the second and all subsequent recordings. And yes, please do read the introductions to the poem, as they contain pretty fascinating information. As for distinguishing, I like the idea of a small pause (but I prefer not to let it get more than about 2 seconds long). Then, when you start again, the poem should (hopefully) have a set rhythm to it that will distinguish it further. Let me know if you have any more questions, and I will most definitely be excited to listen!
Campbell
TwoRavens

Post by TwoRavens »

lymiewithpurpose

TwoRavens wrote: February 28th, 2019, 7:54 pm Fingers crossed for this one!

It sounds incredible! I hear no background noise whatsoever, your tone is still nice and round, and you fixed everything I asked for. It is most definitely PL OK now! And congrats on finishing your first recording! This is the toughest one, everything from here on out should be much easier. Can't wait to hear the rest!

One thing I did catch this time that I didn't last time is that your beginning silence is a tad over 1 second (which is supposed to be our upper limit). I do understand this to be a guideline, however, not a hard rule, and since you are just a bit over it should be ok this time. Just something to watch for in the future :D.

On the positive side of all of this, you now know many different Audacity functions and know how to fix things in the future!
Campbell
TwoRavens

Post by TwoRavens »

Whew!
Thanks very much once again for your patience and help.
You're right - this has been a very good tutorial in using Audacity!

I'm eager now to crack on with my other sections. I hope I can maintain the standard.
All the best, Stephen
ritalouise

Post by ritalouise »

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/ancientpoemspeasantry_017_various_128kb.mp3

Here is my recording of The Outlandish Knight. Thanks!
Rita L.
This was the same link typed twice. I redid it with some compression and low filter if you'd like me to upload it with more noise reduction etc. It is 4:18.
I read through the thread. :D

I uploaded the file with compression, more noise reduction, and low filter.
Last edited by ritalouise on March 1st, 2019, 1:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hi Rita -

Not sure if Campbell is online or not however she will need the length of time for those recordings too! :)

Lynda
lymiewithpurpose

Thank you both! And yes I was asleep... gotta get that good rest :D. I have put it in the MW as ready for PL, and I will take a listen at some point today :D.
Campbell
TwoRavens

Post by TwoRavens »

Well, I hope these both are okay.
A note on Section 060: There is a faint "tap" around the 7:03 mark. I thought it might be acceptable but, if not,
I will certainly fix it.

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/ancientpoemspeasantry_059_various_128kb.mp3 3:24

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/ancientpoemspeasantry_060_various_128kb.mp3 7:47
lymiewithpurpose

TwoRavens wrote: March 1st, 2019, 6:19 pm Well, I hope these both are okay.
A note on Section 060: There is a faint "tap" around the 7:03 mark. I thought it might be acceptable but, if not,
I will certainly fix it.

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/ancientpoemspeasantry_059_various_128kb.mp3 3:24

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/ancientpoemspeasantry_060_various_128kb.mp3 7:47
Thanks! Will take a listen later tonight!
Campbell
lymiewithpurpose

ritalouise wrote: February 28th, 2019, 11:39 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/ancientpoemspeasantry_017_various_128kb.mp3

Rita L.
This was the same link typed twice. I redid it with some compression and low filter if you'd like me to upload it with more noise reduction etc. It is 4:18.

Awesome first recording Rita! That was one of the most adventurous readings of a poem I have heard, and I loved it! It fit so perfectly! Also, thanks for reading through the thread, your attention to detail is admirable! I'm going to address some of the settings you mentioned above. The compressor seemed to do a pretty good job. I may have done it one more time, as there were still some pretty high peaks, but overall it seemed like it did pretty well. I'll also mention that the beginning of your recording is a bit quiet. I don't know if you did took a break in the middle, but there seems to be a bit of a jump in volume at one point. In the future if you notice your waveforms on one part are lower than the others, you can amplify either the lower ones or the higher ones to match the others.

As for the low filter, I want to give you a word of caution on that. I think you may have seen me recommend that for Stephan, but he had some other things going on. This effect pretty much looks for all values higher than a certain frequency and removes them, which was needed to remove some of his noises, but is not generally needed. I don't know what your original sounded like, so I can't say whether or not it was necessary, but I would caution against applying effects that you do not need, as they can mess with the sound of your voice. Your voice sounded great here though, so it apparently didn't hurt.

The noise reduction sounded great! No background noise and it didn't hurt your voice! I heard a little bit of the same mouth noises that I mentioned in the test. Much better now, if you tried anything new it helped, but something to keep your eyes on and keep experimenting with!

I am happy to give you the PL OK (unless you are a perfectionist and want to play around with the volume). The volume is not bad enough to stop this from cataloging, but just something to experiment with the future. Can't wait to hear the rest!
Campbell
lymiewithpurpose

TwoRavens wrote: March 1st, 2019, 6:19 pm Well, I hope these both are okay.
I will certainly fix it.

First of all, your quality was awesome! Seems like your Audacity exploration was useful! No comments on that! I also did not hear any distracting taps, so you should be fine. I do have a few textual comments:

Section 59 - around 3:11, the silence between the end of your poem and the disclaimer is a bit long (almost 5 seconds). Please cut this down to a few

Section 60 - the volume is around 83dbs, we need it 86-92, 89 being preferred. Please amplify a bit
2:45 (also 3:20) - please include word 'chorus'

For both of these, you are cutting the beginning silence close! Remember that the one second guideline is an upper limit, not a goal! They are both fine though.

Nice job! I think it's great that you got these settings figured out, like I said the first recording is the hardest! Should be pretty smooth sailing from here on out!
Campbell
ritalouise

Post by ritalouise »

lymiewithpurpose wrote: March 1st, 2019, 8:48 pm
ritalouise wrote: February 28th, 2019, 11:39 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/ancientpoemspeasantry_017_various_128kb.mp3

Rita L.

Awesome first recording Rita! That was one of the most adventurous readings of a poem I have heard, and I loved it! It fit so perfectly! Also, thanks for reading through the thread, your attention to detail is admirable! I'm going to address some of the settings you mentioned above. The compressor seemed to do a pretty good job. I may have done it one more time, as there were still some pretty high peaks, but overall it seemed like it did pretty well. I'll also mention that the beginning of your recording is a bit quiet. I don't know if you did took a break in the middle, but there seems to be a bit of a jump in volume at one point. In the future if you notice your waveforms on one part are lower than the others, you can amplify either the lower ones or the higher ones to match the others.

As for the low filter, I want to give you a word of caution on that. I think you may have seen me recommend that for Stephan, but he had some other things going on. This effect pretty much looks for all values higher than a certain frequency and removes them, which was needed to remove some of his noises, but is not generally needed. I don't know what your original sounded like, so I can't say whether or not it was necessary, but I would caution against applying effects that you do not need, as they can mess with the sound of your voice. Your voice sounded great here though, so it apparently didn't hurt.

The noise reduction sounded great! No background noise and it didn't hurt your voice! I heard a little bit of the same mouth noises that I mentioned in the test. Much better now, if you tried anything new it helped, but something to keep your eyes on and keep experimenting with!

I am happy to give you the PL OK (unless you are a perfectionist and want to play around with the volume). The volume is not bad enough to stop this from cataloging, but just something to experiment with the future. Can't wait to hear the rest!
Thank you for the terrific review!I will pay close attention to my waveforms andmouth noises. I've been trying to figure out where the various noises come from, and it has helped somewhat. Onward!
RitaL.