COMPLETE[PLAYS]One Act Play Collection 012 - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Foon wrote: May 29th, 2019, 12:11 pm Here's Ophelia for Rosencrantz and Guildenstern:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/rosencrantzguildenstern_ophelia_gilbert.mp3
5:12
what a difference from the Ophelia we know from Shakespeare...she's a far-cry from drowning herself :lol: and doesn't seem too keen on Hamlet (it's no big wonder - the man soliloquizes too much)

excellent acting, I especially love the part where she sees the ghosts from the censored dramas :shock: wow that was a powerful scene. Your horror is really palpable there.

only one tiny thing missing:

> at 1:37: (p. 354) missed line: "Some that he couldn't be. But on the whole"

thank you

Sonia
Foon

Post by Foon »

Kitty wrote: May 29th, 2019, 12:30 pm
only one tiny thing missing:

> at 1:37: (p. 354) missed line: "Some that he couldn't be. But on the whole"
Oops! Must have accidentally cut that in editing, because I do remember recording it..
Corrected: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/rosencrantzguildenstern_ophelia_gilbert.mp3
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Foon wrote: May 29th, 2019, 12:54 pm Oops! Must have accidentally cut that in editing, because I do remember recording it..
Corrected: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/rosencrantzguildenstern_ophelia_gilbert.mp3
yes that's what I thought ;) all PL ok now, thanks !

Sonia
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

Kitty wrote: May 29th, 2019, 7:01 am

And David: here is a first file for you to PL :) I loved being Mrs Templeton. Got me to be bossing everyone around and telling them to shut up :mrgreen: I hope the performance is to your liking.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/firstcome_mrstempleton_morton.mp3
Recording time: 6:27 min.

Sonia
Sonia,

Mrs. T is PL OK. Thank You !

I wept for the victim, cowered before the boss, and paid respect to the gracious host while sitting back listening to her change personalities in less than a heartbeat.

I have spliced the Mrs. T and the raw stage directions together.

David O
bhavya

Post by bhavya »

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

dlolso21 wrote: May 29th, 2019, 3:17 pmI wept for the victim, cowered before the boss, and paid respect to the gracious host while sitting back listening to her change personalities in less than a heartbeat.
oh, thank you David :D yes she is quite a multiple personality. Very interesting to play.
I have spliced the Mrs. T and the raw stage directions together.
ah so you did not want me to have a listen to your narration ? I wouldn't have minded. So is it to be marked PL ok in the MW immediately ?

@Bhavya: downloading Grandmother and looking very much forward to listening today ! thanks

sonia
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

Kitty wrote: May 30th, 2019, 1:02 am ah so you did not want me to have a listen to your narration ? I wouldn't have minded. So is it to be marked PL ok in the MW immediately ?

sonia
Sonia,

Please do not mark it in the MW. I do want you to listen to the narration, but I was still working on self-proofing label files and my audio when Mrs. T arrived. I found a number of areas where I included the character's name with the action but shouldn't have or left off the character's name when it is needed to clarify who is doing what. There are also a number of places where I am debating on whether or not to narrate a character's emotion/emphasis; combining Mrs. T into the mix has given me better insight on this.

David O
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

dlolso21 wrote: May 30th, 2019, 2:43 amPlease do not mark it in the MW. I do want you to listen to the narration, but I was still working on self-proofing label files and my audio when Mrs. T arrived. I found a number of areas where I included the character's name with the action but shouldn't have or left off the character's name when it is needed to clarify who is doing what. There are also a number of places where I am debating on whether or not to narrate a character's emotion/emphasis; combining Mrs. T into the mix has given me better insight on this.
oh ok, I understand. Experimenting with it all. Glad my Mrs T. was of help :)

As for inclusion of character names, we usually have a good rule of thumb in other plays: if the directions are at the beginning of the next person speaking, you include the name to announce the speaker. If they come inside or at the end of a character's speech, you leave out the name, since we all know who is speaking anyway.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

bhavya wrote: May 29th, 2019, 9:04 pm Here's The Grandmother for PL!
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/oneactplays012_03_various_128kb.mp3
what a treat, it was a great story and we all sound so great assembled together. I feel strange being the grandmother of all this troupe :lol: And I still am no closer to making up my mind what really happened that night, although I do favour one version...

I have a few suggestions for corrections, Bhavya. All throughout, especially in the beginning, I felt that you made the pauses too long between each speech. No in the end it was much better in the dialogue with the disagreeable young man and grandma, but the beginning has some lengths. I finally noted down some pauses which really are breaking the flow too long, as suggestion for improvement. Another problem was the merging of voices. You have to be careful with merged voices, they have a tendency to be too loud in the end

Here are my notes (best start from the end, then the time-stamps will remain the same ;) )

> from 4:56-5:00: "But admit that to-day there is reason enough for every kind of jollity." - this part is way too loud (at least 8 dB) and extremely clipping and therefore distorting the sound. I would suggest you take the original file once more and adjust the volume so it's a bit the same than the others, maybe it doesn't clip then. I don't think there was clipping in TJ's original file. I don't know why this only happened with this line though :hmm: If you are using Audacity to edit, you should immediately see how different this part looks from the rest.

> at 7:28: missing line: "Yes, you did." from the Polite young man. You immediately started merging them all, but he actually said it alone in repartee first. I would suggest, you really interrupt the disagreeable young man, and don't make a long pause here

> at 7:28-7:32: "You said that. Yes, you said that." - also here I would decrease the volume a little bit. It's also a bit difficult to understand with the merging of so many voices.

> at 8:31: there is a stray "shut up" that comes after the merging, I think this would better be cut out

> at 8:33-8:37: "Indeed. He's right. Stop—shut up" - again a bit too loud, I would decrease volume by -4 dB, then it's more agreeable to listen to

> at 11:46-11:50: "Yes, yes, that's right,—the story of how you got lost." - again, a few dB less would be better on my ears ;)

> at 17:30-17:34: "THE SENTIMENTAL HIGH SCHOOL GIRL [frightened]. Merciful God!" - for dramatic effect, you can cut out the stage directions here. Devorah sounds frightened enough and if you patch it quite close to grandma's last sentence, it will sound much more fluent

> at 19:10-19:13: "THE VIVACIOUS GIRL [breathlessly]. What did you do, grandma?" - also here the narrator can be cut out, the voice conveys it well

> at 22:02-22:05: "THE SENTIMENTAL HIGH SCHOOL GIRL [horrified]. Merciful heaven!" - same here, narrator can get cut out, then the suspenseful scene is not so artificially interrupted

> at 22:19-22:21: after "I cried out" - this break sounds a bit uncomfortably long, I would cut this down to 1 second. The scene is already interrupted by the narrator anyway

> at 25:47-25:49: after "and I know that they are stupid." - the pause is again too long. Everything over 2 seconds feels very long for a listener, especially here in a dramatic play

> at 28:01-28:03: after "I have already told you that...." - here grandma should really interrupt the sentence, this huge pause breaks the flow signifiicantly, especially since the sentence was interrupted abruptly by her. This needs to be reflected here or it will sound strange

> at 31:14-31:17: "GRANDMOTHER [involuntarily]. Not that long...." - narrator can be cut out, and the pause shortened a bit

thank you

Sonia
benderca

Post by benderca »

Kitty wrote: May 29th, 2019, 7:01 am
benderca wrote: May 29th, 2019, 6:23 amOoops, sorry. I'm not used to having to do corrections. I'm a method actor... :lol: :lol: :lol:
do method actors never do corrections ? :hmm: :lol: well, thanks for showing up at the exact right time ! Now the play can get assembled :9:
Sonia
I'm not really a method actor, and I usually follow the script to a "t" :D . I was thinking of method actors like Marlon Brando, who think/thought they know/knew the character better than the script writers...
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

benderca wrote: May 30th, 2019, 10:19 amI'm not really a method actor, and I usually follow the script to a "t" :D . I was thinking of method actors like Marlon Brando, who think/thought they know/knew the character better than the script writers...
ah ok LOL well Brando didn't have to deal with public domain problems...he only had to deal with his directors, and he probably was a handful for them :mrgreen:

Sonia
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

lymiewithpurpose wrote: May 28th, 2019, 6:52 pm
Kitty wrote: May 26th, 2019, 7:43 am
thank you Campbell :) a very snippish player who knows his worth and doesn't want anyone to tell him what to do :mrgreen: nicely done

just one small correction right at the beginning:

> at 0:07: "sir we are beholden to you for your good counsels"- you say "our", which is not logical in this context

@Josh: thanks for your submission, I'll put it in the MW...

Sonia
Here you go:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/rosencrantzandguildenstern_firstplayer_gilbert.mp3
0:54
Think this may have been missed :wink:
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

Sonia,

Here is the stage directions with Mrs. Templeton for "First Come, First Served"

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/oneactplays012_09_various_128kb.mp3 20:42

David O
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

mightyfelix wrote: May 30th, 2019, 6:58 pm Mrs. Twisselton for Everybody's Husband.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/everybodyshusband_mrstwiss_ryan.mp3
Nice work Devorah! Content wise everything is there and sounds great. Lovely character you put into it, distraught and dignified at the same time at points! So very well worth an OK.

Only tiny thing to mention is that when I listened through headphones I heard a slight whistle. Not distracting by any means, but I'll point it out in case you want to play with it.
Campbell
pronouns: they/them