COMPLETE[PLAY] The Drummer, or, The Haunted House - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

TJ, I'm putting the butler lines into act 2 now, so when you re-do those two lines at the beginning, put them in a separate file please.
benderca

Post by benderca »

mightyfelix wrote: July 18th, 2019, 3:11 pm TJ, I'm putting the butler lines into act 2 now, so when you re-do those two lines at the beginning, put them in a separate file please.
Oh man, did I not upload that yet? I redid it on the same day you commented... I don‘t have my computer with me now. Sorry.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Quick update, for anyone who may be following. All the stage directions are recorded. Act 2 is entirely ready, except for two Butler lines at the beginning of the act. Acts 3 and 4 have been assembled, but need grooming. I think the flirting scene between Abigail and Vellum in Act 3 is going to be adorable.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Act 3 is ready for PL!
benderca

Post by benderca »

mightyfelix wrote: July 18th, 2019, 3:11 pm TJ, I'm putting the butler lines into act 2 now, so when you re-do those two lines at the beginning, put them in a separate file please.
Oh man, I forgot to upload these again (it's just the two lines):

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/drummerorhauntedhouse_butler_2_correctedlines.mp3

mightyfelix wrote: July 9th, 2019, 10:25 pm Thanks, TJ. Act 5 PL ok. But I have another note on Act 2. I hate to give you notes on the same lines twice, but there it is. :|

In your first two lines, the contraction ben't means "be not," to essentially mean "I hope he's not a Jesuit." As it is now, it sounds in both lines as if you're saying that you hope he is a Jesuit.
Sir, here's a strange old Gentleman that asks for you; he says he's a Conjurer, but he looks very suspicious; I wish he ben't a Jesuit.

I wish he ben't a Jesuit; but he says he's nothing but a Conjurer.
Take your time, though. I'm leaving in the morning for five days. I wanted to at least get act 1 ready before my trip, but I've been working more lately. :?
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

No problem, TJ. I had plenty to do in the meantime.

First three acts are all Ready for PL!
benderca

Post by benderca »

mightyfelix wrote: July 24th, 2019, 6:32 pm No problem, TJ. I had plenty to do in the meantime.

First three acts are all Ready for PL!
Super! Thanks, Devorah!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Act 4 is ready for PL.

Beth has mentioned elsewhere on the forum that she'll be having a surgery very soon. (She may even be in the hospital now. I don't remember if she said what day her procedure was scheduled.) Since I hope to have the last act ready within the next few days, would anyone be willing to step in to PL the completed acts, so that we can get this finished out?
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I will PL them. Downloading now.

Thanks, Todd
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thank you. You will notice there are quite a lot of [aside]s in this one. I've cut some of them and left some, as it seemed best to me. But let me know what you think. Also welcome are any notes on volume balancing. It seems someone is always left louder or softer than someone else.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Act 1 PL OK. Very nicely done. What a great collection of voices.
(By the way, I take it the Dramatis Personae is in the Preface section? It is not in the Act 1 file.)

Act 2
14:47 - has simultaneously overlaid lines by both Vellum and Lady from the top of page 451 (Archive script)
15:01 - gap where Lady line from 14:47 should go

(More to come)

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

All very well acted and well edited too. Nice work. Only a few comments – just suggestions that could be ignored as you wish.

Act 3
I hear the slight mis-match in volume you worried about between Sir George and Vellum at the beginning of this act (not in Act 2), but I do not think it is really a problem. Larry's voice is much deeper than mine, and I sometimes have to amplify his more than mine to make them sound equally loud even though Audacity says we are both at the same volume. (Note - I do not hear any other volume mis-match in Acts 1-4)
12:09 - the stage direction "forces a laugh" seems unnecessary given the tone of Tinsel's laugh preceding

Act 4
6:00 – I would have deleted the stage direction. Abigale’s words and the drumbeats are enough in my opinion
22:25 – methinks some drumbeats as Tinsel steals off stage “mending his pace as the drum beats” would be good to add here. Just a copy of some of the other recent beats would be fine

Where’s Act 5? I have to find out what happens!!

Thanks, Todd

(By the way, I think your selection of "asides" is perfect throughout.)
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Yes, we have a wonderful cast. :D And yes, the DP is with the Prologue.

Act 2 fixed. (That happened when I added in Butler lines, I think. Whoops.) I did check before exporting this time to see whether there was anything else in my second track that might get bumped when I moved Lady Truman's line, but there wasn't. So her line is now cozily nestled in where it belongs at 15:00.

Act 3: I did adjust the volume slightly from 0:48 to 3:13. I also took your suggestion about the stage direction at 12:09. I'd wondered about that one, actually. (And this time, I even remembered to sync my tracks so that Abigail's lines are still in place later on. :wink:)

Act 4: I also took both of these suggestions. I hadn't even thought of the first one, but I like it! New drum beats are now at 22:21.

Act 5 is coming soon. It's assembled, just need to tweak it. But first, I have another BC begging me (and rightly so) to hurry up and get the rest of my part recorded. If I don't get Act 5 finished tonight, I hope to get to it Sunday.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Thanks everyone, I'm back! Surgery was Wednesday but I'm feeling surprisingly chirpy!

I see this project has moved a lot since I was last on board - Todd, if you want to PL Act 5 and find out how the play ends, that's fine with me. Or I can come back and do it anytime from now on.

Act 3 and 4 PL notes are now PL OK!
Last edited by Elizabby on August 1st, 2019, 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thanks, Beth. Glad you're feeling better! I know this is your favorite part, but I wasn't sure when we could expect you back. You'll be able to hear the whole thing soon! I've really enjoyed this one. It seems to be the only comedy by this playwright, which is truly a shame. He's got a couple of tragedies, but they don't really call to me.