COMPLETE[PLAY] The Drummer, or, The Haunted House - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

mightyfelix wrote: February 6th, 2019, 10:40 pm Todd, I've found this very nice sound clip of drum cadences that I think would fit very well. I don't know if you saw my question regarding this in the suggestions thread, but I'd really like to have the sound of a drum when the ghost makes his appearances.

This one says: "This work is licensed under the Creative Commons 0 License," and "The person who associated a work with this deed has dedicated the work to the public domain by waiving all of his or her rights to the work worldwide under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights, to the extent allowed by law. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission."

Is this allowable? Pretty please?
I will check.

Thanks, Todd
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: February 7th, 2019, 2:07 am May I claim Fantome?

Cheers,
Chris
Absolutely, thank you!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Availle wrote: February 7th, 2019, 2:49 am Don't remember that housekeeper... In Lady Sybil's Manor perhaps?

I probably don't need to introduce myself to anyone here, but I am a stickler for correctly addressing people indeed.
So, Devorah - what's it supposed to be? :D
Well, I've never seen Downton Abbey, so you've got me there. From the reading I did yesterday on this, the "Missus" pronunciation didn't arise until maybe the nineteenth century, or late eighteenth. I think that at the time this play was written, "Mistress" would have been a more common and much more respectful appellation, so I'd like to stick with that. Thank you!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

benderca wrote: February 7th, 2019, 2:49 am oh, it looks like only Vellum is left. Is that so? If so, may I play him? I can pull out my young man's voice... :D (but if you want a man, that's fine -- I've got loads of other projects to catch up on... :lol: or maybe one of the men with a gender neutral part wants to switch... )
I did actually want gender perfect casting for all except the three unnamed servants. Dramatic roles have been going fast lately, sorry about that!

But if you'd like to negotiate a trade with one of our servants, you're free to do so. :wink:
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I will change in my butler suit for Vellum's clothes if you wish.

Thanks, Todd
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Works for me. Then, Todd can read for Vellum and TJ can be our butler. And then it looks like we are full. Plays have been filling fast lately! Thanks, everyone!
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Being full is the good news. Now for the less good:

https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Music_%26_Sound_Effects_Rules

Sound effects not allowed. Might say that sound effects are specified in this particular text, but that is covered in the Wiki too (here, last bullet under Suggestions for Editing a Dramatic Work).

Why? Murky area for sound effects. The person who uploaded the drum sound called it PD, but did the drummer agree to that? Are any of the drum riffs themselves copyrighted (the entry says one is from JFK's funeral march)? Just too messy an area for us to get mired in.

I don't think just having the stage direction say that a drum sounds will hurt the appeal of the cataloged play at all.

Thanks, Todd
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Well, alright. I was hoping. Thanks for checking.
benderca

Post by benderca »

ToddHW wrote: February 7th, 2019, 11:07 am I will change in my butler suit for Vellum's clothes if you wish.

Thanks, Todd
Why, thank you, Todd! You're such a gentleman! I've always wanted to try my hand and butling. Ever since... well, ever since I read your definition earlier today! :lol:
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

With regard to the drumming, I wonder if we could generate our own PD sounds? I'll put a note in the Discussion forum.
Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I believe we can. But I don't have a drum, or anything else I can think of that would create a convincing drum-like sound.
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

What kind of drum sound do you need? I do have a (archaic kind of) drum here; I don't know if it's gonna record right but I could try. Only I am not a drummer :)
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Fantome could always tummy-drum a brisk tattoo on his Sixpack-of-Steel, but I fear these days he will need a stunt double. :wink:

Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: February 8th, 2019, 1:21 am Sixpack-of-Steel
:shock: I'm out!

;)