[COMPLETE] The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle - dc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
TheBookBro

Post by TheBookBro »

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (1859 - 1930) Version 5.

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-adventures-of-sherlock-holmes-version-5-by-sir-arthur-conan-doyle/
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes is a collection of twelve short stories by Arthur Conan Doyle, featuring his fictional detective Sherlock Holmes. Each of the stories are told in a first-person style from the point of view of Dr. Watson, Holmes' associate and sidekick. The stories detail Holmes and Watson's various adventures in solving cases that befuddle others within law enforcement. This book is a collection of twelve of Doyle's favorite Sherlock Holmes stories. ( TheBookBro)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1661
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================

Genres for the project: Crime & Mystery Fiction/Detective Fiction; Short Stories

Keywords that describe the book: adventure, Detective, Mystery, Crime, Holmes, justice, sherlock

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename adventuresofsherlockholmes_##_conandoyle_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. adventuresofsherlockholmes_01_conandoyle_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: craigdav1
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by TheBookBro on February 6th, 2019, 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Before setting this up for you I just wanted your acknowledgement that you are aware that there are already four LV recordings of this book. That does not stop you from recording version 5. Choice of voice is our motto.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

MW is ready to be filled in. Let me know if any changes are needed. I made one small change to your first post. I added "Sir" to ACD's name as that is how he is listed in our database. Do you have someone in mind as DPL?
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Moving to Going Solo forum to keep the Launch Pad tidy.
TheBookBro

Post by TheBookBro »

Hey Craig, thanks for setting this up! I think The magic window actually needs 14 sections. I mistakenly listed it as 12 due to the number of adventures listed in the book, but the first adventure is actually long enough to be broken into three sections within the text. Also, I do not have a DPL in mind. On my last project someone just volunteered to DPL the project during the setup phase. Is there something I need to do to get a DPL on board?

Thanks!
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

I just added two sections (as a BC you can add but not delete sections) and added a ~ before the title in the subject line of your first post. The ~ symbol lets everyone know we are looking for a DPL. Once you've posted your first section I don't it will take long to find one for this book.
TheBookBro

Post by TheBookBro »

Thanks Craig! I appreciate it!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

FYI, I marked all your submitted sections as Ready for PL. If and when you get someone to prooflisten, it's important to mark the status of the section correctly. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

Hello,

I saw this project in the March Challenge. Will it be okay to be the DPL?

Thanks!
Thanks, SaraHale. :D
Constructive criticism is always welcome. :thumbs:
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Sara,
Please feel free to start listening to the files. Until the reader responds to your request just post your comments in the thread. I'll add you as DPL once he has responded to your offer.
Dave
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

craigdav1 wrote: March 2nd, 2019, 6:28 am Sara,
Please feel free to start listening to the files. Until the reader responds to your request just post your comments in the thread. I'll add you as DPL once he has responded to your offer.
Dave
Hello Dave,

Nice to meet you again. Thanks! I'll listen to them. Have a nice day.
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

Hello Mike,
Section 1 is PL OK. I really enjoyed it. Good reading pace plus it’s a word perfect. I also liked that you gave each character a unique voice. Well done! :clap:
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

Hello Mike,

Section 2 and 3 are PL OK. They are as perfect as Section 1. Very well done. :clap:
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

Hello Dave and Mike,

Section 4 is great. I enjoyed it immensely. It's a word perfect recording. :clap:

My PL notes are:
1. At the beginning of the recording, there is 1.080 second of silence.
2. At the end of the recording, there are 4.890 seconds of silence.

Please, let me know if my PL notes are too much.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

SaraHale wrote: March 4th, 2019, 11:30 am My PL notes are:
1. At the beginning of the recording, there is 1.080 second of silence.
2. At the end of the recording, there are 4.890 seconds of silence.
Please, let me know if my PL notes are too much.
Close enough to <1s and 5s, respectively.