[FULL]World's Story 6: Russia, Austria-Hungary, Balkan States, Turkey - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

tovarisch wrote: February 9th, 2019, 1:20 pm Section 39, ready for PL:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume06_039_tappan_128kb.mp3 8:33

Thank you!
Kitty, I do not know what happened to my rendering. I've re-rendered it and uploaded a fixed version, the run time is 12:24. It's readier for PL than it was previously. :)
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

tovarisch wrote: February 9th, 2019, 4:21 pmKitty, I do not know what happened to my rendering. I've re-rendered it and uploaded a fixed version, the run time is 12:24. It's readier for PL than it was previously. :)
thank you, Victor. I hope you did not have to re-record everything :? I wonder what the problem was ?

In any case, I have listened to your 4 sections now and they were so wonderfully narrated and interesting to listen to. :9: I enjoyed these stories very much, even though most of it was about battles and wars, which is not really a favourite topic of mine ;) But especially because of the direct speeches, you made it all sound very lively, full in the thick of battle. :thumbs: The most shocking section was this coaling at sea, wow that must have been extreme hardship for the mariners there. :shock:

Sections 39, 40 and 41 are already PL ok.

And I have only a very small note to make for Section 30:

> at 1:02: you forgot to close the footnote with "end of footnote"

the rest is perfect.

Thank you very much for participating :)

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Thank you Sonia. I've added 'End of footnote' and uploaded section 30 again. New length is 24:22.
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

tovarisch wrote: February 10th, 2019, 9:19 am Thank you Sonia. I've added 'End of footnote' and uploaded section 30 again. New length is 24:22.
oh ! that was a fast reply. Thank you, now it is definitely PL ok. :)

have a nice rest of the weekend

Sonia
NemoR

Post by NemoR »

Hi Sonia!

I'll pick up a few more here if you don't mind!

Sections 53,74,75,79,83,101 please. :D
Nemo

Thoreau - “Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake."
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

NemoR wrote: February 11th, 2019, 6:37 am I'll pick up a few more here if you don't mind!
Sections 53,74,75,79,83,101 please. :D
:hmm: hmmmm, do I mind ? Let me think about it. :mrgreen: Ah no, I think I don't mind at all. Thanks for claiming and have fun with them. I'm especially curious about St. Kümmerniss....what a name :lol:

Sonia
NemoR

Post by NemoR »

Kitty wrote: February 11th, 2019, 6:39 am
:hmm: hmmmm, do I mind ? Let me think about it. :mrgreen: Ah no, I think I don't mind at all. Thanks for claiming and have fun with them. I'm especially curious about St. Kümmerniss....what a name :lol:

Sonia
Yeah! ..me too!

I thought you might find this interesting based on your previous works with the Brothers Grimm ... from Wiki:

""Saint Solicitous" (German: Die heilige Frau Kümmernis), also translated "Saint Kummernis", was a story first published as no. 66 of Grimm's Fairy Tales. Although included in the first edition in 1815, it was dropped in the second edition (1819) because it bore too much resemblance to Ovum paschale Neugefärbte Oster-Ayer, a legend by Andreas Strob"
Nemo

Thoreau - “Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake."
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

NemoR wrote: February 11th, 2019, 6:45 am""Saint Solicitous" (German: Die heilige Frau Kümmernis), also translated "Saint Kummernis", was a story first published as no. 66 of Grimm's Fairy Tales. Although included in the first edition in 1815, it was dropped in the second edition (1819) because it bore too much resemblance to Ovum paschale Neugefärbte Oster-Ayer, a legend by Andreas Strob"
interesting ! No, I don't think I encountered this tale in the Grimm's project. We probably used an edition where it was taken out of already.

Sonia
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Fables are always wonderfully provocative, and this one was particularly clever. It makes me think of Puck's "What fools these mortals be." And I guess finally I prefer to think them more fools than devils, though there are some of those too in our fallen world. Your voice gets a bit devilish here and there, which adds spice to the concoction, and for that and sundry other reasons, such as a perfect rendition of the text, I have awarded your Section 3 a PL OK! :clap: :clap:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

neecheelok70 wrote: February 12th, 2019, 1:00 pmYour voice gets a bit devilish here and there, which adds spice to the concoction, and for that and sundry other reasons, such as a perfect rendition of the text, I have awarded your Section 3 a PL OK! :clap: :clap:
thank you, Jim :) and welcome back. Hope Florida was fine. And yes, I love doing a devilish voice :lol:

Sonia
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Thanks. It was fun, but always glad to be back home. And I can get back to recording! :clap:
techpsalti

Post by techpsalti »

Hi! I'd like to try my hand at entry 43, The races on the Neva river (1870), by Théophile Gautier.

This is my first recording. I'd like to appear as techpsalti under the LibriVox catalogue.

Initial question: For place names like Neva and Vladimir, would it be preferable to pronounce them as neh-VAH and VLA-di-meer (Anglicized) or as nee-VAH and vlah-DEE-meer (Russian pronunciation)? I assume the former, given the text is in English, but as I speak Russian I wanted to verify which is preferred for this recording.

Thanks!
~~ Life's too short to drink bad coffee. ~~
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Here is 11, in which, no doubt, there will be some suspicious pronunciations (I did do some homework for whatever it was worth):

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume06_011_tappan_128kb.mp3 21.73 KB

23:10

Jim :oops:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

techpsalti wrote: February 13th, 2019, 2:27 pmHi! I'd like to try my hand at entry 43, The races on the Neva river (1870), by Théophile Gautier.
This is my first recording. I'd like to appear as techpsalti under the LibriVox catalogue.
hello Daniel, and welcome to the project :D I'm happy that you chose this one to start out with.

Please read the first and second post carefully, you'll find all the details for correctly naming your recorded file, how to say the long LibriVox disclaimer, the title and how to handle footnotes if there are any.

Your brand-new reader page is here: https://librivox.org/reader/13146
all your projects will be listed there, so hopefully with time this will become quite a portfolio :)
Initial question: For place names like Neva and Vladimir, would it be preferable to pronounce them as neh-VAH and VLA-di-meer (Anglicized) or as nee-VAH and vlah-DEE-meer (Russian pronunciation)? I assume the former, given the text is in English, but as I speak Russian I wanted to verify which is preferred for this recording.
wonderful that you speak Russian ! I learnt the language for a few years as well and I love the sound of it. So by all means, if you can give correct pronunciations to the names, that would add special local colouring to the section. I always do that in my readings as well, although it's not a requirement.

Looking forward to hearing your section. Enjoy.

Sonia