COMPLETE [PLAY] The Vegetable by F. Scott Fitzgerald - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Snooks, Acts 2 and 3, ready to be PLed by our 40-Proof Listener Kitty Catraz (sister of Al Catraz).

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/vegetable_snooks_2_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/vegetable_snooks_3_128kb.mp3

Prohibition was the best decision ever ... bar none. :mrgreen:

Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: March 5th, 2019, 7:27 pm PLed by our 40-Proof Listener Kitty Catraz (sister of Al Catraz).
I let that one slip for now...but what's a 40-proof ?
Prohibition was the best decision ever ... bar none. :mrgreen:
:lol: good one

Well Snooks is raspy-voiced and shifty, as always. A marvellous role for you, fits you like a second skin :mrgreen: Act 3 can be marked PL ok already.

You're not off the hook for Act 2 yet though, I found 3 lines missing:

> at about 2:35: (p. 82) “Look here now, Mr President. I got a swell scheme for you.

> at about 3:06: (p. 83) “Ain’t you neva hearda the Buzzard Islands ?

> at about 11:40: (p. 109) missed ALL line: “Too late ?

Thanks

Sonia
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Snooks, Act 2 corrections are here: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/vegetable_snooks_2_128kb.mp3

And there's Drëpp in the kitchen. Leave your money on the fridge. :lol:

Cheers,
Chris
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: March 8th, 2019, 5:00 pmAnd there's Drëpp in the kitchen.
:lol: I bet I'm the only one who knows what a Drëpp is here in this project. Anyway, I think the stuff that Snooks is selling is far far stronger than a mere Drëpp. Far more illegal and lethal too. :mrgreen:

Snooks is PL ok now. Thank you. Now go rinse your throat with some chamomile tea.

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I though it was just some brand of Aussie beer....

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: March 9th, 2019, 12:04 pmI though it was just some brand of Aussie beer....
nope, a Drëpp is some sort of fruit brandy or schnapps, is that what you would call it ? It's Luxembourgish, not Australian. Chris is finding the strangest things on the internet... I always marvel where he digs them out.

Here's an official explanation from the Luxembourgish tourist office site:
Eaux-de-vie (literally: 'water of life', called Drëpp in Luxembourg, literally: 'drop') and liquors are part of Luxembourg's specialties. Thanks to the great diversity of the orchards in the centre and in the east of the country, many artisan distilleries produce eaux-de-vie of high quality.
it probably says something about Luxembourg that we would promote our schnapps culture on the tourist sites. :oops:

Sonia
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Kitty wrote: March 9th, 2019, 12:23 pm
it probably says something about Luxembourg that we would promote our schnapps culture on the tourist sites. :oops:

Sonia
Premier Power wants to pair Sydney with Luxembourg as a sister city. Seems like a good cultural fit. :mrgreen:

It’s rather old data, but...

The World's Hardest-Drinking Countries
Europe: Home of much natural beauty, old traditions and booze. Lots and lots of booze.

Luxembourg, where residents pound down 15.5 liters of alcohol in a year, on average, ranks first. Close behind are France (14.2 liters), Ireland (also 14.2 liters, a lot more of it from beer), Hungary (12 liters) and the Czech Republic (11.8 liters).”

https://www.forbes.com/2007/11/27/drinking-europe-alcohol-biz-commerce-cx_tvr_1128drinking.html

You guys beat out the Irish, Sonia. :shock: :lol:

Mind you, what with “the pursuit of happiness” being one of the inalienable rights... you gotta respect folks who enshrine the right to party hearty in their Constitution. :D

Chris
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: March 9th, 2019, 7:31 pm Luxembourg, where residents pound down 15.5 liters of alcohol in a year, on average, ranks first. Close behind are France (14.2 liters), Ireland (also 14.2 liters, a lot more of it from beer), Hungary (12 liters) and the Czech Republic (11.8 liters).”

You guys beat out the Irish, Sonia. :shock: :lol:
:shock: I never knew that. Oh my....and I'm a teetotaller, so I didn't help at all in this ranking :lol:

btw your link to Forbes doesn't work for me. So thanks for posting the relevant info.

Sonia
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Finally finished recording narration of act 1. There's a lot of it, but it's never boring! The raw file is a bit over an hour. I'm not sure when I'll get around to editing, but I'm making progress.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I'd like an extension on my narration, please. Real life has been especially demanding lately, and I'm getting ready for vacation in about a week.

While I'm at it, I've noticed a few things in this script that... Well, I have questions. First, there are many times when, in a large block of narration, one or more characters have a line hidden somewhere in the paragraph. Here is an example:
She says this as though realizing that she is the one contact this couple have with the wider and outer world. She assumes with almost audible condescension that their only objective interest is the fascinating spectacle of her career. And so there is nothing personal in her confidences; it is as though she were reporting dispassionately an affair of great national, or, rather, passional importance. And, indeed, Jerry and Charlotte respond magnificently to her initial remark by saying "Honestly?" in incredulous unison and staring at her with almost bated breath.
This happens several times in act 1 alone. Do you want me to read these lines or leave a space for the characters' voices when this happens?

My second question is more specific. I'm not sure how to handle the description of the "Wood Alcohol" label. The script contains an image of a skull and crossbones (page 35). I was thinking of saying "Wood Alcohol! Poison! With a skull and crossbones." Would that be ok? Or should I just read the words and omit any description of the image? I think it would be funny, either way, and I've already recorded both versions. But I want to be sure what you're wanting there.
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

I can grant another two-month extension, since I know the amount of stage directions is copious. Some other roles (including mine) are still outstanding and I'm assuming those readers will want extensions, too. Maybe when the stage directions come in I'll ask everyone else to expedite their files. :P

As for lines embedded in those stage directions... I'm inclined right now to let you, the narrator, read them, because more than half of the roles have already come in and it might be too much work to search for those lines and track down the readers to record them. :? As Sonia would have to spot PL, she might want a say in this. Since the play is still unfinished, we could do it, but there's no guarantee all of them will be recorded. Unless there are only a few instances of this, in which case it sounds doable. But if it's a frequent occurrence, then maybe it can just be narrated.

Lastly, I think adding the skull and crossbones descriptor is fine. It lets those visually impaired or not reading along imagine the image which is otherwise part of the script.
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

WiltedScribe wrote: March 24th, 2019, 4:15 pmAs for lines embedded in those stage directions... I'm inclined right now to let you, the narrator, read them, because more than half of the roles have already come in and it might be too much work to search for those lines and track down the readers to record them. :? As Sonia would have to spot PL, she might want a say in this.
if you want the cast to read for their appropriate lines, maybe a good idea would be for Devorah to mark down the sentences (and the pages, very important for this text, I find it very difficult to plod through) and who has to say what. Then maybe we can ask those readers specifically to do a separate soundfile with all those sentences. Would be the least hassle, instead of reuploading the original files. Of course it's a bit more pick and choose for you as editor in the end, Tomas.

I don't mind either way, both can sound good.
Lastly, I think adding the skull and crossbones descriptor is fine. It lets those visually impaired or not reading along imagine the image which is otherwise part of the script.
on the other hand here, I'm not sure we should include a description of the picture, but only read the text. We never describe pictures, even if they are embedded in the text. :hmm: I remember I once had to read an article with hieroglyphs and they were also depicted in the text, and I left those out to, I did not start explaining "it looks like a bird" or something. And in this case, "wood alcohol, poison" conveys the meaning well enough already, in my opinion.

Just my 2-cents-worth :) Maybe Todd has something to say on this too.

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I do not see a need to make up descriptions of pictures. They would be our words, not the authors, and I have encountered some invented descriptions in other projects here that are not very useful. We give an etext link in the catalog so interested folks can go to that to see pictures, symbols, etc.

Who reads the lines inside stage directions is truly a BC decision. I have seen it done by the narrator, and other times by the character readers.

Thanks, Todd
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Alright, I guess we can at least try for characters to read their lines in the stage directions. What Devorah can do is to note where those lines are and who says them while she's editing her files and send them along when she submits the narration. Then we can PM the appropriate readers and ask for an extra file from them. I guess Sonia has to be on the lookout for them when PLing the files for Jerry, Mr. Jones and Dada, since those files aren't in yet. I'll do my best to spot them on my part.

And I'll listen to the majority on the issue of the skull and crossbones. We'll just read the text and not add an extra description. Don't want to open a can of worms if it can be avoided. :thumbs:
Tomas Peter
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Got it. I will note those spots as I come across them. If you like, I can also include the line in my voice, as a "just in case."