COMPLETE[PLAY]The Lying Lover by Steele - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: April 10th, 2019, 2:35 pmAct 1 is done and ready for final PL.
wait...you only updated the Dramatis Personae, nothing else in the play proper ? Because I already checked it all and only gave you PL notes on the cast list. If nothing else is changed, then the cast is now PL ok.
Let me know if I have to relisten to it all again !

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I just completed the cast list fixes. I listened the whole way through but there were no other changes to make.

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: April 11th, 2019, 7:44 am I just completed the cast list fixes. I listened the whole way through but there were no other changes to make.
ok just wanted to make sure...because you put the status to ready for PL instead of Spot PL. But ok, if nothing else is changed, it's definitely PL ok.

Sonia
LexHankins

Post by LexHankins »

--
Lex (she/her)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

LexHankins wrote: April 26th, 2019, 10:01 pmLatine, Act 4. 09:00 https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/lyinglover_latine_4_128kb.mp3
yay, thank you Lex :9: I already feared you had forgotten about this.

I totally enjoyed your drunk performance. :lol: So you chose to remain drunk for nearly the whole act, with a few lucid moments. It's a good outcome I find. Can't wait to hear this assembled. Your part is PL ok and Todd can proceed to finalize Act 4 now. YAY !

Only one act left for Latine ! Looking forward to this.

Thanks for the great performance. You and Tomas will sound hilarious together in the opening scene. :mrgreen:

Sonia
LexHankins

Post by LexHankins »

This production has never been far from my conscious thought, rather overcome by events. I see now that communicating more frequently would have been in order.

Thank you for the feedback. If I had to do it again, I would have made the drunken speech more consistent. It was surprisingly difficult to act as if I'm performing poetry while heavily inebriated. Or rather while I'm acting heavily inebriated. :-)

I'm hoping to have Latine in Act 5 ready by May 5th.
--
Lex (she/her)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

LexHankins wrote: April 27th, 2019, 4:36 amThis production has never been far from my conscious thought, rather overcome by events. I see now that communicating more frequently would have been in order.
yes it's always good if we hear from you from time to time, so that we know that you're not completely vanished. Thanks !
It was surprisingly difficult to act as if I'm performing poetry while heavily inebriated. Or rather while I'm acting heavily inebriated. :-)
:lol: well I find that immersing oneself in a role (as here: being drunk) can act on your mind/body chemistry, so it might well have happened that you were feeling drunk for real by the end of the performance ;)

Sonia
LexHankins

Post by LexHankins »

Ready for PL: Latine, Act 5, 4:36
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/lyinglover_latine_5_128kb.mp3

Are the pauses in my opening prose too long? Any other feedback much appreciated.
--
Lex (she/her)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

LexHankins wrote: April 28th, 2019, 6:51 am Ready for PL: Latine, Act 5, 4:36
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/lyinglover_latine_5_128kb.mp3
Are the pauses in my opening prose too long? Any other feedback much appreciated.
thank you for this extra push now at the end :9: Oh and I loved this final scene where Latine is desperately and heroically trying to take the blame on himself for the death of Lovemore. What a cool character, excellently done.

You're right though, the initial musings seem to have a bit of lengthy pauses in between. Even though it's written like poetry, it was really only Latine musing over his sleeping friend, so there was not really any need to recite it.

But there are no other errors, so I'll mark it PL ok. I'll make a mention in the MW for Todd, he can probably cut the pauses a bit shorter in the editing phase.

This was the last part we were waiting for. Todd: you can massage Acts 4 and 5 into shape. 8-)

Thank you so much, Lex, you really created a wonderful character here.

Looking forward to hearing it all assembled. And then I hope I'll see you all again in the next Steele !!!

Sonia
LexHankins

Post by LexHankins »

Kitty wrote: April 28th, 2019, 8:45 am ... thank you for this extra push now at the end :9: Oh and I loved this final scene where Latine is desperately and heroically trying to take the blame on himself for the death of Lovemore. What a cool character, excellently done.
Thank you. It was fun!
You're right though, the initial musings seem to have a bit of lengthy pauses in between. Even though it's written like poetry, it was really only Latine musing over his sleeping friend, so there was not really any need to recite it.
I see what you mean. I suspect editing the parts together is quite tedious; if either you or Todd would like me to re-record the prose with a faster, more conversational tempo, I can do so.
... Looking forward to hearing it all assembled. And then I hope I'll see you all again in the next Steele !!!
Before I volunteered for the part, I read the summary. It said that Young Bookwit kills his friend. I always suspected that friend was Latine. I was pleasantly surprised by the ending.
Last edited by LexHankins on April 28th, 2019, 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
Lex (she/her)
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Acts 4 and 5 assembled. I must check them one more time tomorrow before releasing them for final PL.

Thanks, Todd
LexHankins

Post by LexHankins »

Thank you, Kitty, for being such a faithful and prompt Project Listener.

Thank you, Todd, for editing these beasts!
--
Lex (she/her)
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Acts 4 and 5 are ready for final PL.

What an interesting ending. Very powerful - yet tempered by the audience knowing that the dead man is not really dead.... (I read my lines without knowing this.)

However, in Act 5, at 13:15 I think I should delete the word "no" in "for there is no such thing as accessories in murder". I think this is an error in the text. (I didn't delete it yet becuz it is harder to add back in than to remove.)

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: April 29th, 2019, 9:35 amWhat an interesting ending. Very powerful - yet tempered by the audience knowing that the dead man is not really dead.... (I read my lines without knowing this.)
well in your case, that was good, because Bookwit senior didn't know that fact either ;)

excellent ending, I loved to listen to both acts now. :9: As expected, Tomas and Lex's drunk scenes are wonderfully entertaining. But everyone was great in the roles they played. :thumbs:

Act 4 is already PL ok.

For Act 5, I only have a very small note to add for your consideration:

> at 15:31-15:33: “sighed in death—"Penelope." – the pause here feels a bit too long
However, in Act 5, at 13:15 I think I should delete the word "no" in "for there is no such thing as accessories in murder". I think this is an error in the text.
Your life, for ought I know, is at stake; for there is no such thing as accessories in murder; and it can be proved you knew of Lovemore's threatening to fight Bookwit. You must either take your trial yourself, or be Mr. Bookwit's witness.
I see what you mean. :hmm: I was checking 2 other scanned sources and they both have the same sentence though. So I pondered long and hard how maybe we misunderstood the meaning. The obvious meaning is that Penelope is accessory to murder because she knew about the duel. In that case the "no" is wrong.

But couldn't it maybe convey this other meaning, where "there is no such thing" means "it's great that there is such a thing" ? I'm not sure, but I think one can use it in this context. A bit like in the example: "I was sad, but now I feel great again, for there is no such thing as love to bring back my happiness." (as in: "there is no better thing than love..." )

So here it would mean, paraphrased: "If you condemn Bookwit, you will be in danger too. Because there is no better thing than this little detail called "accessory to murder". This would condemn you as well, because you knew about the duel. So either you get a trial as well, or you testify in Bookwit's defense."

But if I'm mistaken and a native speaker would never say it that way, than I guess it's best to remove the "no", to make the sentence clearer. So either way, I'm fine with it. :)

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Sonia,

You make a very good case for including the "no" - especially since it is in other texts as well. So in it stays.

Making the other Act 5 change now.

EDIT: Made the dying lover cut. Act 5 ready for spot PL.

Thanks, Todd